PDA

View Full Version : There is a slight problem with having reversed tip ...

White Lightning
19-07-2007, 08:15 AM
The tip selection is reversed in my car (push up to change down), which I really like but I do find that sometimes its possible to forget that you are no longer in tip and knock it into neutral when you think you are changing down ...

Think I've done in 3 or 4 times now ... /haz

/pan

bradc
19-07-2007, 08:27 AM
I haven't done the reverse tip mod, but I have knocked the lever forwards a few times thinking I was changing up gears but ended up in neutral, probably a bit more dangerous when you're changing up because typically I'm flooring it when I'm changing up :)

orionn2o
19-07-2007, 08:30 AM
Yep i've done it before. Its a pain in the ass! I havent done the reverse tip mod either.
Whats the advantage? Except for me having to spend a month trying to remember which way to push the lever?

White Lightning
19-07-2007, 08:40 AM
Whats the advantage? Except for me having to spend a month trying to remember which way to push the lever?

The only advantage I find is that knocking the lever forward to change down feels a bit more like a manual - like when you change down from 4th to 3rd on a manual car. It's just more logical to me.

But some say they prefer the standard setup as the up / down changes match the way the green dot moves on the dash i.e. up for up, down for down.

Personally, I didn't have the learning which way the tip is problem as the mod was done before I bought the car.

I have always been quite tempted to get a paddle shift steering wheel though and connect the microswitches on the tip lever to them ... :pimp2:

pitslayer
19-07-2007, 10:00 AM
mate of mine is going to be working on flappy paddle shift for the tipbox on his fto

orionn2o
19-07-2007, 11:05 AM
I've thought about the possibilities of that before as well. The logistics of it seem pretty damn easy!

White Lightning
19-07-2007, 11:11 AM
I've thought about the possibilities of that before as well. The logistics of it seem pretty damn easy!

Indeed. And I believe some of the late Evo steering wheels with flappy paddle shift will fit our cars aswell ... :happy:

Davezj
19-07-2007, 01:38 PM
a guy on here did it with a play station wheel paddle shift fitted to a standard steering wheel i think.

orionn2o
19-07-2007, 03:07 PM
I wonder if you can buy playstation steering wheels with airbags??!

pitslayer
19-07-2007, 06:44 PM
lol that would be silly, coming of the track on colin mcrae rally and air bag going off

jpnvr4
19-07-2007, 07:49 PM

I don't kno what U gotta B smokin 2 come up wid an idea like that/pan ... but it's the best laugh I had in some time ... cheers mate :chugchug:

Subaru ETA
20-07-2007, 07:25 AM
mazdas and fords have the tip box with up to change down... when i had my auto i would always jump into a customers car and take it up the motorway and change down at 130km/h /duh