PDA

View Full Version : intake pipe work?

Gly
21-07-2007, 05:56 AM
well I put in rhy`s old battery box in today,
which will be my cold air box

had to mod his original bracket to suit fitting around my new pipework,

this got me thinking about what I wanted to do,
and pretty much realized I cant without changing my cooler pipe work!

so now im going to have to run 1 filter feeding 2 turbos instead of 1 filter per turbo....

so how much of the pipe work do I need/should I change?

I know the front turbo pipe work is pretty messed up so this definitely needs to be changed....

now where the turbo pipes come together (the big knuckle thing behind the maf) should I also change modify this?? can this be made any better??
or do you think its not worth changing?

how big does the pipe work need to be?

3" intake pipe to breaking into two 2.5" feeds shrinking down to the inlet size of each turbo?
do i need a bigger main intake pipe?

bradc
21-07-2007, 06:33 AM
Carsten, do you want me to come around in my car for you tomorrow so you can take a look and see if it will work, or are you going to keep it setup so that you can use the MAF until you get the map-ecu installed?

bradc
21-07-2007, 06:35 AM
btw, the entire pipe setup from the maf down to the back turbo and to the front turbo is completely retarded! If I was you ideally I would bolt the MAF straight onto the side of the cold air box, and have a Y pipe that goes down to each turbo. I have no idea how you would fit it all in there though!

Paul C
21-07-2007, 08:05 AM
noticed where you have mounted your IAT sensor for mapecu and was wondering how hot that area gets. I have mine mounted in the back of the elbow that goes on the throttle body and have started having heat soak issues,were the sensor is retaining heat after long runs or having a good thrash.The result of this is that i have had some poor starting issues,even stalling, and drifting afr readings.Just thought i would mention this incase you have future problems.I will be looking to relocate mine in an area after the intercooler away from engine bay heat. I'm sure i have seen heat sinks for the sensors(unless i dreamed it) so might give one ago first.

Gly
21-07-2007, 08:47 AM
it gets warm... but can still easily touch it...
i havent run the car from the map ecu yet.

i dont think aluminium will have heat soak issues.. it dosent retain the heat very long.
and the pipe that its in is sperated from the intake plenum, lower cooler pipework so not no metal on metal heat transfer.

ive had a good think about this...

i think im going to ditch the front turbo pipe work,
and the knuckle behind the maf.

ill use the rear turbos flexi pipe... it looks like it will flow well enough.

i have an extra rear turbo flexi pipe...
i will fit this to the front turbo...

this leaves me with 2.5" inlets to work with i will plum these together using various 2.5" aluminium bends...
these will connect together at some point and be feed from a 3" pipe (which will lead into a filter in the airbox...

something like AllBeItMine`s intake pipe..

uploaded/1576/1185004400.jpg

i dont think there will be any restriction issues with this setup?
any comments? other ideas?

bradc
21-07-2007, 08:50 AM
Thats what All Motor did on Uc's car with his front turbo, they reused his back turbo flexi on the front turbo. If you need another rear flexi intake pipe I have another one spare from my car as well.

Good idea, but because all motor did it, it is probably a bad idea and you should stay away from it!

Gly
21-07-2007, 08:56 AM
lol yeh... but its maybe the only sensible thing they did??!!

he still managed to get 200kw with bird **** leaky pipe work...
mine has no leaks that im aware of, and deffinately no bird **** welding :P

just updated my post brad... think its the best thing i can do?

bradc
21-07-2007, 10:07 AM
yeah exact same style of split, but have the maf at 90 degrees to the car, facing east-west and having the Y come out with one tube bending 90 degrees downwards to the front turbo, and one tube bending 90 degrees to the back of the car for the rear turbo

Gly
21-07-2007, 10:29 AM
yep...

maf placement wont matter as im gonna remove it once tuned.
it'll just be there to keep the car running for now.

ill have to pay another visit to the pipe bending shop, and see what 2nd's i can pick up cheaply!