PDA

View Full Version : hks bov

richard_v6
23-07-2007, 09:39 PM
is it advisable to fit a blow of valve or dump valve

i dont think they make any differance to proformance do they?

they are there just to vent gases from boost is this right has they sound like a bit of a gimick and a exspensive one at that

bradc
23-07-2007, 09:43 PM
If you have a VR-4 (sorry your profile doesn't make it obvious) then it can increase performance by a small amount because the stock BOV leaks and lets compressed air escape back into the intake. This happens especially with older stock BOV's or if you have upped the boost.

Nick Mann
23-07-2007, 09:45 PM
VR4's come with a recirculating BOV. It is known to be a weak one, so can sometimes leak. The recirculating thing means that it doesn't scare small children walking along the street, whereas a vent-to-atmosphere one might.

The main point of upgrading is to minimise the chances of a leak from the BOV. The best way of doing this on an otherwise unmodded VR4 is to buy a better recirculating valve, IMO. The VTA BOVs are good at making a noise, but otherwise offer very little or no advantage over a re-circ. Plus the re-circ ensures air is where the ECU expects it to be, so you will have fewer fuelling issues and less carbon floating around.

Having said all of that, I have an HKS SSQV!! /pan :P

richard_v6
23-07-2007, 09:52 PM
hello bradc i own a 2.5 v6 galant at moment but in the very near future i will be a owner of a vr4 ive looked at hks, greedy and blitz bov there is a bit of a differance in price is there one which you would choose over the rest?

d i c k i e s
23-07-2007, 10:19 PM
one that you havent mentioned is SARD. Ive read a lil bit bout them and think its pretty good. Though most people i know who have VR4s tend to have a HKS SSQV bov.

richard_v6
23-07-2007, 10:22 PM
sard ive never heard of them are they a jap make?

Gly
24-07-2007, 11:00 AM
i have a SARD R2D2, love it... nice and loud (when in the factory position)
it can diffinately turn heads, and make the unsuspection **** there pants, LOL!

http://www.sumopower.com/sard.htm

http://www.sumopower.com/sardbov.htm

stuartturbo
24-07-2007, 09:13 PM
sumo just down the road good but expensive

MarkSanne
25-07-2007, 02:12 PM
Another well know quality brand that produces proper BOV's is Apexi.

I've got one installed recently that is exactly what I hoped for:

- better than the broke-off stock one
- very modest sound (adjustable)

Eagleton
30-07-2007, 12:58 AM
I´m confused by this...

If I where to install a non recirc BOV onto my VR4, wouldnt the ECU overflow the engine with fuel because it´s allready messured and calculated the air going in the intake that´s now being let out through the non recirc BOV with less hp, higher fuel consumption and a burned out catalyst as a conclusion?
Or have you guys converted the air flow meter to a MAF sensor?

I like the sound that the little thingy does, but it´s not worth it if I get all the issues above...:thinking:

Gly
30-07-2007, 07:50 AM
i have no cat... and its shouldnt increase fuel consumption unless you keep boosting and dumping?

its only a spilt second of over fueling, no big issue... but has been know to cause stalling when coming to a complete stop.

and as long as its a good BOV, not many have issues with a VTA BOV,

ive had NONE with my sard, except to the split second of to much fuel...

but im having my car converted to MAP, instead of the factory MAF,
because the cars run far to rich even from factory.