PDA

View Full Version : Blended fuel (biofuel)

Spader
24-07-2007, 10:49 PM
I read this online in the herald today http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/9/story.cfm?c_id=9&objectid=10453345 and was wondering if any of the guys in the UK had run their cars on the Ethanol Blended fuels and if they worked ok in the cars.
I am of course assuming that these fuels are available in the UK so I could be wrong here....

KiwiTT
25-07-2007, 12:08 AM
I think it be OK if they have enough Octane.

However, I will stay away from them, until we are all sure.

Nutter_John
25-07-2007, 12:14 AM
Tesco's in the uk do a 99 ron fuel which is a standard 98 blend with a mix of 5% ethanonl added , seems to run ok in the vr4 , but i use it when i can't get Shell optimax which is a 99 ron without any ethanol

from what i recall most octane boosters just add a variant of ethanol to up the octane rating

aaron68nz
26-07-2007, 01:29 AM
I read this online in the herald today http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/9/story.cfm?c_id=9&objectid=10453345 and was wondering if any of the guys in the UK had run their cars on the Ethanol Blended fuels and if they worked ok in the cars.
I am of course assuming that these fuels are available in the UK so I could be wrong here....

Here in Sydney I've been running my VR4 on V Power Racing (100 plus octane with 5% ethanol) for a year and a half now. It could be just my imagination but I think I'm getting more power and fuel cut seems to occur at higher boost now, especially seeing it's now colder temperatures.

DefeXion
26-07-2007, 06:57 AM
Is there anywhere you can get 99ron in NZ?

Rosco_NZ
26-07-2007, 09:02 AM
Here in Sydney I've been running my VR4 on V Power Racing (100 plus octane with 5% ethanol) for a year and a half now. It could be just my imagination but I think I'm getting more power and fuel cut seems to occur at higher boost now, especially seeing it's now colder temperatures.

higher octane definately makes a difference to when fuel cut occurs.

very rarely get fuel cut normally (running bp 98) but 2 weeks ago i made the mistake of putting pak'n'save 95 in as i was feeling poor..../pan runs ok if ya drive like a grand-ma, but the other night when i was giving my mate a lift and giving the car some right foot, it was hitting fuel cut soon as ya got to about 4500rpm... most noticeable on motorway (100km) when u put foot down to pass,turbos wind up, seems sweet, then you get to about 120km and then bang! fuelcut... quite embarrassing. but it did it in 2nd gear as well once.

where as previously ive only hit fuel cut while powering up a hill locking the tip-tronic in 4th... (that was running 95/98 mix now i think about it, as there was no 98 avaliable in the towns between welly - taupo)

i think ya should definately reset (disconnect battery) your ecu if ya ever had to put crap fuel in, duno if there would be any benefit doing it when u first put the crap fuel in... but diffinately once you switch back to the better stuff.

anyway, back to the question, i think the higher the octane the higher the threshold before you get fuel cut (it could be related to detonation sensors or something?)

Johnny_Cashed
26-07-2007, 10:03 PM
I filled my V6 up with tescos 99 RON today, it was 1p per litre cheaper than the 98 RON :speechles at 99.9p/ltr I'll let you know how it goes

Rosco_NZ
01-08-2007, 07:12 AM
just seen on the news the govt is forcing oil companies to offer bio-fuel here, only saw the tail end of the article.

one thing they did mention was that most jap imports even the new ones wont suit it due to fuel lines corroding etc. my question is, how so? and is this true for our vr4's

next thing i didn't catch, what is the stuff? just 98 + ethanol? making it higher octane?

and finally... price?

Rosco_NZ
01-08-2007, 07:17 AM
found this
http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/mitssite/jsp/pages/company/environmental/leaninggreen_vehicles.jsp#5

"You should be aware, however, that ethanol has a lower energy content than straight petrol and this generally results in an increase in fuel consumption."

better be cheaper then... lol