PDA

View Full Version : Is My VR-4 Lowered ?

Spirit
08-05-2003, 11:41 PM
Do you think my car has been lowered ? No-one mentioned it when I bought it but been looking at other pics and the gap between tyre and wheel arch seems less on mine - what do you think ? Here's a few pics:

My VR-4:

Spirit
08-05-2003, 11:42 PM
Barry's VR-4:

Spirit
08-05-2003, 11:42 PM
H7's VR-4:

BraindG
09-05-2003, 12:12 AM
It does look like it Pete.. any ideas what suspensions on there?

and your wheels? 17"?

it makes it look so much more sexy without the massive gap :cool1:

Spirit
09-05-2003, 12:27 AM
No idea what is suspension is on it but will have to look now though, and yes the wheels are 17" with 215/45/17 W rated tyres.

Pete

Roadrunner
09-05-2003, 10:25 AM
Reckon it might be - looks good :cool: . The diameter of your tyres will be around 625mm with 215/45x17, mine are around 643mm with 235/45x17 INSERT INTO post VALUES (standard is around 631mm with 225/50x16); so I guess your car will sit lower than mine, although that wouldn't explain the smaller gap between the top of the tyre and the bodywork. I guess the easiest way to prove it would be to measure the distance between a part of the car and the ground and compare that to another VR-4. I'd be happy to measure mine as a comparison - just let me know where you'll take the measurement.

Brian

Spirit
09-05-2003, 06:39 PM
Good news !

My VR-4 has got lowered suspension. When the wheels were off today to check out the discs, the garage INSERT INTO post VALUES (who are a local performance tuning garage with excellent pedigree) looked at the suspension and said the car has KYB shocks - which they reckon are standard, and these babies which retail for £265 +VAT on the HKS Europe website :D :D :D

BraindG
09-05-2003, 07:30 PM
nice find :D

Brind
10-05-2003, 03:36 PM
Bonus!:cool1:

Don't forget to tell your insurance company, they'll use any exuse to void your warranty.

Without knowing you had the springs, I'd have said it was lowered, as mine is on 17's and the gap is alot bigger.

Don't have any new pictures yet.

-LegnumVR4-
14-05-2003, 06:24 AM
Spirit979, I would keep an eye on the inside of your front tyres. With that amount of camber you'll fine that the inside of your tyres will wear quicker than the outside. If your in luck there maybe a camber kit or camber bolts that have been installed on the car to help.

I had my stock wheels on for about a month with the suspension lowered like yours and notice after awhile that the inside started to wear. I did do some hard driving but no track work and i can't spin the wheels so it's down to the fact that the camber wears the tyres out just by turning left and right.

Petrolhead
14-05-2003, 08:37 AM
I have a suspicion that our car is also lowered, since I seem to scrape every rise in the road surface.

I take it the Ralliart suspension is standard on all VR4's?

http://carartz.phpwebhosting.com/other/vr/vr4side.jpg

BraindG
14-05-2003, 08:59 AM
Its not standard on all VR-4's, i had it on my first one.. But not on this one :Cry1:

i dont believe yours is lowered, it still looks like the same gap compared to mine..

Peter, what Rhys said is right, if the suspension is lowered you also need to ajust the camber, however.. can we, on a "standard" set-up?

not having the car here i cant see the suspension set-up :Cry1: mmmkay cry over,

Are we able to adjust the camber? do we have a twin wish-bone setup? or will the multisuspenion allow us to do it?

-LegnumVR4-
14-05-2003, 10:06 AM
Petrolhead you car is lowered INSERT INTO post VALUES (front more than the back, the back looks like it had a little bit done to it). If u can find out what the front springs are you could check the back ones to see if they are the same. Check if the suspension is adjustable as well, u maybe able just to adjust the back down. Doing this will lift the front up so it can help stop the front bumper scrape. A lot of the owners in Japan like to lower there cars so it looks like they have even gap heights between the tyres and arcs INSERT INTO post VALUES (front and rear ones); this looks like what has been done.

Barry, there are some options to change the camber on the front but i haven't gotten around to testing it out. There is the lower arm which goes straight under the CV which connects to the subframe, the bolt which goes through the subframe could be changed for a camber bolt to pull the wheel back in a bit. There are also 2 other bolts in the top 'A' arm which connect the pins that go into the engine bay, one connects to the engine brace the other to the body. The 2 small bolts that hold the pins to the 'A' arm could have some camber bolts in there to push the top of the wheel out as well. I have heard about an after market replacement 'A' arm but never seen it.

Standard shocks on all VR-4's INSERT INTO post VALUES (the 6a13's) have KYB shocks. The standard springs are black and have 2 spots of paint on them, red i think from memory but don't quote me on that INSERT INTO post VALUES (been a long time since I last look):Ponder:

There is about a fists gap in the front between the tyre and wheel arc and a little bit less in the rear for the stock suspension.

BraindG
14-05-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by -LegnumVR4-

Barry, there are some options to change the camber on the front but i haven't gotten around to testing it out. There is the lower arm which goes straight under the CV which connects to the subframe, the bolt which goes through the subframe could be changed for a camber bolt to pull the wheel back in a bit. There are also 2 other bolts in the top 'A' arm which connect the pins that go into the engine bay, one connects to the engine brace the other to the body. The 2 small bolts that hold the pins to the 'A' arm could have some camber bolts in there to push the top of the wheel out as well. I have heard about an after market replacement 'A' arm but never seen it.

So my understanding of this is that we have a twin wish bone setup? in otherwords we shouldnt "have" to mess about with he camber?, because the double wish bones keep the shocks at the right angle/camber. this is what im lead to believe anyways.. :confused:

INSERT INTO post VALUES (I know that all race cars/ performance cars have a twin wish-bone setup )

or am i just talking crap here?
:Cry1:

Petrolhead
14-05-2003, 12:24 PM
I think possibly the later ;)

We have double wishbones on the MX5, and it's been lowered quite dramatically. The camber is waaaaay off now, and the inside of the tyres wears very quickly.

D.

ritch_w
14-05-2003, 01:11 PM
The UK V6 Galant Sport looks like a 4x4 compared to the standard VR-4

does anyone know if the VR-4 suspension will fit a normal galant?

Spirit
14-05-2003, 05:32 PM
I have just had all new tyres fitted so will be able to keep a close eye on any wear on the inside. The previous tyres showed no sign of any extra wear on the inside so I am hoping the camber is fine as it is.

calum
29-05-2003, 10:57 PM
Mine is quite seriously low and badly wears the inside of the fronts.

http://www.aoqo52.dsl.pipex.com/thecar.html

It's also bouncy - needs stiffer shocks. I have another set of springs in the shed that I must try and fit one of these days - but the garage that I bought it from said they were even harder than what's on there just now!
I'll give it a go one of these days - need to get new tyres first.

Calum

pjjohnson
30-05-2003, 12:23 PM
I did fit HKS Superform lowered springs and ran them for about 70,000 miles. I have since put the original springs back on because the car was just too low and used to bash on the ground for too often eventually resulting in a damaged sump and the flexi part of the exhaust also took a battering.

With the lowered springs the car was too bouncy with Std dampers on normal roads, and the rear end a bit looser, but on smooth roads there were no problems. The car did look really good.

When I put the std springs back on I had to replace the rear dampers as they rapidly gave up the ghost.

Having said all that if anyone wants the HKS springs they can have them as long as you pay postage or collect them - Haydar has got first call on them as he has already expressed an interest.