PDA

View Full Version : down pipe part II

MarkSanne
26-07-2007, 09:13 PM
After two days of searching, e-mailing and several phonescalls I'm no where near a new down pipe yet.

Both japanese shops that advertise their downpipes are unable to speak english so trading directly with them is not an option (that was basically their reply to my emails).

http://66.249.91.104/translate_c?hl=en&langpair=ja%7Cen&u=http://www.yr-advance.com/parts/p026.htm
http://66.249.91.104/translate_c?hl=en&langpair=ja%7Cen&u=http://www.ps-iida.co.jp/galant/galant.html

(the forum doesn't seem to understand these google-translated links and instead shows the orginal Japanese page)

The option of using RHDjapan.com for getting those down pipes via them was possible, but they double the price so one shipped downpipe would set me back 600 euro / 106000 yen... nothing to get exited about. My friend 'dutch driver' (who bought a VR4 saloon just yesterday btw which he will tell himself all about probably soon enough) has many connections in the Japanese performance scene but even he couldn't find any...

Then I contacted E.P.S. (a well known company that builds custom exhausts here in holland) and they can build me one for 700 euro... Thanks but no thanks. Maybe I'll pick up a bunch of stainless pipes and start welding myself. Done some stainless TIG welding before, I'm not that good, but I'm patient enough to get a proper end-result.

Don't know if I want to / can put in the time such a project needs.

Does anyone here have any tips for buying a downpipe? For that matter... does anyone actually has got a non-mitsu downpipe?! (and if so, where did you get it?).

Paul C
26-07-2007, 09:22 PM
i have seen 6meters of 3"(75mm) stainless tube grade 304 for sale at £96 and 4meters of 21/2"(64mm) stainless tube grade 304 for sale at £56

I think this should be enough to knock up a full system including downpipes.

MarkSanne
26-07-2007, 09:29 PM
thanks Paul, hopefully those prices can be found here too should I have no other option! I still would have to get a few bends as stainless tube won't bend using cheap/simple bending techniques used for normal steel. but even still then I'd be way less money spending...

Paul C
26-07-2007, 09:34 PM
to be honest the supplier of the steel is on ebay,just contact him direct he will sort a bundle price.He also does 90 degree bends aswell.

Goku
26-07-2007, 11:06 PM
I have a friend here who deals with ordering from japan all the time, I'll ask him if he is able to source anything ( he speaks japanese and lived there for a few years ). I'll get him to get in touch with you if he is able to come up with anything.

MarkSanne
27-07-2007, 06:48 AM
@Goku: that is very kind! Thanks a lot!

White Lightning
27-07-2007, 09:13 AM
I replaced mine with a brand new downpipe from Mitsi recently. It needed replacing badly as it was blowing so much. Not cheap but I needed something sorted quickly.

MarkSanne
27-07-2007, 09:40 AM
@white lightning: I want to avoid doing the same thing, and now that I've got several months before MOT I'd like to do it proper (better than stock).

MarkSanne
27-07-2007, 09:49 AM
WHOOOO after 4 days of silence, I got a reply from ps-iida.co.jp (one of the japanese shops that advertise with a VR4 downpipe, to be exact the nicer y-shaped one). Had given up hope on this shop, but it seems I'm in business!

They charge 2700 yen tax, and now he wanted my full adress so now I'm waiting for a reply on how much the transport would cost (I think?). His english was so bad that I can only assume things :)

Beastlee
27-07-2007, 07:38 PM
I priced up the first one and it initially comes out at £256 which is a good start for me!

Axeboy
27-07-2007, 07:41 PM
My custom downpipes were just over £300 new, but they were very well made.

Kieran
27-07-2007, 07:42 PM
I priced up the first one and it initially comes out at £256 which is a good start for me!

That for the YR-Advance ones, Beastlee? Is that shipped?

Kieran
27-07-2007, 07:45 PM
Here's another thought.... How far off are the 3000GT pipes? Maybe BenH/Gowf could advise?

I know they're not a direct fit, but if they're not a million miles out, maybe ordering some from the US via Ebay, and then modifying them so they fit our cars is a posibility? I mean, if they're pretty close, then I would consider buying them and doing a quick chop/weld where needed to make them offer up correctly - obviously if they're miles out then it's perhaps not such a good idea.

Paul C
27-07-2007, 08:30 PM
how about 2 seperate pipes straight out arse end

Axeboy
27-07-2007, 09:58 PM
Guys, its not hard to have them done.

£300 for custom made is reasonable.

Paul C
27-07-2007, 10:11 PM
if not cheaper, but will be more fun to make my own and more satisfying aswell

Nutter_John
27-07-2007, 10:49 PM
Here's another thought.... How far off are the 3000GT pipes? Maybe BenH/Gowf could advise?

I know they're not a direct fit, but if they're not a million miles out, maybe ordering some from the US via Ebay, and then modifying them so they fit our cars is a posibility? I mean, if they're pretty close, then I would consider buying them and doing a quick chop/weld where needed to make them offer up correctly - obviously if they're miles out then it's perhaps not such a good idea.

No chance K they are very different

Nutter_John
27-07-2007, 10:52 PM
Do not under estimate the amount of work to make a set of downpipes , even worse do not under estimate how hard it is to make with the car on stands

This is not a simple task at all it may just look like a bit of metal pipe bent here and there with a few welds - but the amount of effort to make them is huge .

Don't let me put you off please but do think long and hard about making your own , but if you need any advise then ask away as between me and richy we have made about 3 sets of which only one is good enough

Goku
27-07-2007, 11:14 PM
True, I got a custom fabricator here who does awsome work. He quoted NZ$300 for my downpipes, which is quite reasonable.

Nutter_John
27-07-2007, 11:42 PM
thats very cheap

Gowf
28-07-2007, 05:31 AM

Unfortunately they are more than a little different. There arnt really any bends in them as such, they are pretty much a straight pipe. Your best bet if you wanted to go down that route, would be to get hold of a set of FTO downpipes as they are closer. Dont let me mislead you though by thinking that closer is even remotely close, but they do have the nessessary bends, although the distance between the two inlets is shorter.

Got to vouch for Axeboy here... He had his downpipes made by C&C in glasgow (where i had my exhaust made). I have used them for most of the cars ive owned, and after seeing the downpipes when fitting to Paul's car they were very well made indeed. Their welding was a work of art.
So the £300 was an absolute bargain!

MarkSanne
28-07-2007, 06:54 AM

Did you manage to get a price from YR? I only received a very short email that they did not speak english!

However I'm hopefully awaiting the reply email from ps-iida because that downpipe looks better with it's y-shape. This time I'll be even more patient and will wait for days. If there's anything new, I'll post it here.

Thanks btw for all the custom made reply's. Maybe I can find a cheaper builder over here too, but I doubt it. People working with their hands are getting extremely expensive over here...

Beastlee
28-07-2007, 10:14 AM
I only did a basic currency conversion of the advertised price to get a base figure. I figured £256 was reasonable given the price of the standard parts but I don't now about tax and postage on top.
I'd seriously consider custom made ones and I wonder if the guys I trusted to do my other stainless exhausts if it was at the right price.

The Vee
29-07-2007, 03:39 PM
Do not under estimate the amount of work to make a set of downpipes , even worse do not under estimate how hard it is to make with the car on stands

This is not a simple task at all it may just look like a bit of metal pipe bent here and there with a few welds - but the amount of effort to make them is huge .

Don't let me put you off please but do think long and hard about making your own , but if you need any advise then ask away as between me and richy we have made about 3 sets of which only one is good enough

Yeah I can vouch for your comments - had to make a set for my conversion, and that was using bits of V6 pipe and bits of VR4 pipe so a few bits were "pre formed!) TBH though - quite tempted to have a go at a stailess job. Oh, yes and mine was on stands too, still have the dent in my forhead where i dropped one of the flanged pipes/pan /pan

Nutter_John
29-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Well to help people make theres I will be posting in the for sale section most of the parts you need to make a set of downpipes

This should be in this evening

Kieran
29-07-2007, 07:33 PM
Well to help people make theres I will be posting in the for sale section most of the parts you need to make a set of downpipes

This should be in this evening

Are you posting them as a self-assemble 'Kit' John?

Nutter_John
29-07-2007, 07:47 PM
I will be selling them as single parts but will tell people how many we used of each to make the set on my car , i would also reconmend that people buy over the amount needed for waste and errors

phosty
29-07-2007, 07:48 PM
Gowf,

Who are C&C in Glasgow? Not too far for me, might be looking at an exhaust too.

Kieran
29-07-2007, 07:48 PM
I will be selling them as single parts but will tell people how many we used of each to make the set on my car , i would also reconmend that people buy over the amount needed for waste and errors

Goodoh! Hope it's cheap! :deal2:

Nutter_John
29-07-2007, 07:50 PM
will be cost price , basically i am off all stock that was purchased for WRD to make the DP's

Most of the stuff you can get online but flanges etc have to be made to size , which there is enough for 9 full sets

Nutter_John
29-07-2007, 10:48 PM
Ok I have created a add in the classfieds for these bits , now from memory these are the bits you will need

4 x 2.5" 90 degree bends
1 x 3" 90 bend or 1 x 45 bend
2 x turbo flanges
1 x cat flange
1 x 3" flexi
depending on the design you choose 1 x 2.5 flexi
1m x 3"
1m x 2.5"

Now thats enough to make 1 set - AS LONG AS you make no mistakes

Gowf
30-07-2007, 12:39 AM
Gowf,

Who are C&C in Glasgow? Not too far for me, might be looking at an exhaust too.

They are based around the airport-ish. Really nice blokes and they do an amazing job!

http://www.stainlessexhausts.com/

Just tell them that gareth with the legnum vr4 that had the audi s6 told you about them. they are very reasonable

Goku
30-07-2007, 03:08 AM
They're not stainless or anything fancy like that, that costs a bit more.

MarkSanne
30-07-2007, 08:19 AM
Got some more news! RDHjapan.co.jp mailed me (again) but this time about about the ps-iida.co.jp downpipe (the nicer y-shaped one). They can ship it to me for 69000 YEN which is not a bad price at all!!

Still waiting for the direct ps-iida.co.jp resonse, should be even a bit lower price I recon. It does take patience to communicate with them, but even for 69000 YEN (390 euro/250 uk pound/640 NZ $) I'll go for it, and skip the welding myself part.

Kieran
30-07-2007, 08:56 AM
69000 Yen delivered? :speechles I'm there!:happy:

MarkSanne
30-07-2007, 09:08 AM
69000 Yen delivered? :speechles I'm there!:happy:

figured that this would get others besides myself excited :)

Beastlee
30-07-2007, 09:37 AM
Yep, definitely a deal there. I wonder if they's do it even cheaper for a bulk buy?

MarkSanne
30-07-2007, 10:11 AM
oooh that could be interesting! I'll ask which quantities will get us discount!

Beastlee
30-07-2007, 10:31 AM
Mark I have Systran installed on my laptop. I'm sure it will do Japanese/Dutch translations if it helps. I know it does Japanese/English translation to a resonable level.

MarkSanne
30-07-2007, 11:10 AM
Thanks Beastlee, but those guys from RDHjapan.com speak (or better write) english just fine, and for japanese->english I'm using both Babelfish and Google Translate and that does most of the trick.

But as a matter of fact, I've already received an anwser to my group-buy request:

Thanks for the question. We can ship the down pipe at a cheaper rate if we ship them all together but that is about all we can do because the small shops dont give us enough of a discount to begin with.

( this was my mail to them, first I told them about clubvr4.com: )

Is there any posibility to do a group-buy with you as a partner?
I'm thinking of the price for 5 pieces and the price for 10 pieces for
starters.

Or maybe a club-vr4-discount for each individual order when placed?
Every clubmember has got a unique number that can be verified. Our club is
succesfully partnering with several suppliers this way.

Since the Galant/Legnum VR4 has never been officially imported to the UK,
NZ, Australia, nor to the US or Europe, we heavily depend on various sources that can deliver us parts for our beloved cars. Our club currently
has just over 400 members, most of them owning a Galant VR4 or Legnum VR4.

Beastlee
30-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Well it's a promising start but I don't think they could deliver the whole order given the different locations.

Fair play to them though.

phosty
31-07-2007, 04:50 PM
MarkSanne,

How about getting a quote from RHDJapan for these equal length downpipes from Pros Engineering, Carplus Co. Ltd here:

http://www.diana.dti.ne.jp/carplus/mitsubishi/ec5/p%26p.html

Not sure if they are still available.

OK Done ! - I sent em an email myself too!

Kieran
31-07-2007, 06:22 PM
Phosty - Give 'em a yell yourself, the more Legnum owners contact them, the more parts they'll hold in stock for us!:scholar:

Drop them a line at RHDJapan@RHDJapan.com

MarkSanne
31-07-2007, 07:17 PM
Yeah guys, do it please. If I'm the only one contacting them they might start thinking "that guy again..."

Don't forget to post their reply here please! VERY interested in this beauty too!

Wouter
31-07-2007, 07:22 PM
Thats £408 for the Down pipes.... excluding shipping and import duty!!

You could get custom ones for less than that!

Kieran
31-07-2007, 07:35 PM
Thats £408 for the Down pipes.... excluding shipping and import duty!!

You could get custom ones for less than that!

For which ones Wouter? The Pro-Shop IIda ones, the YR Advance ones, the Kakimoto ones or the Pros Engineering ones?

Was that a RHD Japan quote?

Wouter
31-07-2007, 07:56 PM
For which ones Wouter?

I Clicky on phosty's linky and second from the top are a set of down pipes...

That = Y 98,000 (at least it looks like that much)

Using www.oanda.com I got the following...

98,000 Japanese Yen = 408.621 British Pound

Kieran
31-07-2007, 08:21 PM
Thought so. That site's not been updated in some while, so It might be wise to get a quote through Taka Kaira or RHD Japan. I bet (If they're still in production) that the price is different.

phosty
31-07-2007, 09:24 PM
I already sent an email to RHDJapan asking for a quote on the Pros Engineering downpipes. Will let you know.

phosty
03-08-2007, 03:06 PM
Response from RHD on the Isometric Downpipes from Pros Engineering:

Hello,

Thanks for the question. we are currently working on getting better shipping rates and will probably be able to ship that to you for 25,000 plus 98,000 at the moment.

Let us know if you have any further questions!

Happy bidding!
Best Regards!

Russell Hobbs

Patrick Antell
RHDJapan
Phone: +81-3-3487-1415
Fax: +81-3-3487-1415
Mail: rhdjapan@rhdjapan.com
Web: www.rhdjapan.com

So that makes it Yen 123,000 = £508 before Import Duty and VAT. So lets say £657 !!!

From the other threads I have read here too it seems opinion is split of whether or not equal length downpipes are of any benefit for Turbo engines. It certainly seems a big premium over the others for what may be a relatively small gain over the unequal length downpipes.......

Kieran
03-08-2007, 03:08 PM
Jesus Christ!:speechles

Maybe I can live without Isometric downpipes!:speechles

Axeboy
03-08-2007, 05:33 PM
Just get some made like i did, easy and £300

Paul C
03-08-2007, 05:47 PM
Make your own :-although it might of been cheaper to get them custom made for the amount i have spent so far and have nothing to show.

wnwnwnw
13-08-2007, 11:54 AM
Deciding about down pipe takes long time from you all.

does this down pipe worth the money. How many HP will stock VR4 gain?

Axeboy
13-08-2007, 12:25 PM
no idea on gain, but you notice it.... and it sounds great

richy rich
13-08-2007, 03:52 PM
The biggest gain you get is the turbos spool so much quicker.

John was getting .8bar at 2100rpm

Goku
13-08-2007, 08:43 PM
A good modification after installing a larger intercooler would be these downpipes. Most cars generally have a bit of lag after installing a larger intercooler, but having the downpipes to counter that would mean you almost wouldn't notice..... if it wern't for the kick you now get from it and the whiplash :D

MarkSanne
13-08-2007, 09:59 PM
Ordered mine (the ps-iida v-shaped one) today at rhdjapen.com!

Kieran
13-08-2007, 10:01 PM
How much did it cost in the end?

MarkSanne
21-08-2007, 10:24 AM
total including shipping & cc costs 454 euro... but the good news is: they now offer it on their own webshop: https://www.rhdjapan.com/home/products/product_detail.php?int_product_id=3308

peter thomson
21-08-2007, 10:36 AM
Here are the UK prices.

Our Price: £ 327.70 Shipped to Great Britain (United Kingdom) EMS

Our Price: £ 293.90 Shipped to Great Britain (United Kingdom) Surface

richy rich
21-08-2007, 10:38 AM
I hope they have just used the wrong photo because they don't look correct.

Kieran
21-08-2007, 10:49 AM
£293 or £327 depending on shipping.... I'm there!:afro:

Kieran
21-08-2007, 10:51 AM
I hope they have just used the wrong photo because they don't look correct.

Well, PROS are one of the more well known Galant/Legnum Tuners, so I think they'll be okay - probably just a weird photo angle.

richy rich
21-08-2007, 11:02 AM
£293 or £327 depending on shipping.... I'm there!:afro:
What do you think about the look of them K

2 things it looks like they will be slung very low under the car.(we had to use a shortened 90 out of the front turbo.) and second and more importantly the first bend goes towards the the right of the car looking from the back and the sump is there.(we had to go to the left.)

richy rich
21-08-2007, 11:05 AM
Well, PROS are one of the more well known Galant/Legnum Tuners, so I think they'll be okay - probably just a weird photo angle.
Yep hope they just used a diff pic.

bradc
21-08-2007, 08:54 PM
yeah they are using the wrong pic, this is the right one http://www.diana.dti.ne.jp/carplus/mitsubishi/ec5/p%26p.html

that pic looks more like an rb26 downpipe

Kieran
21-08-2007, 09:04 PM
yeah they are using the wrong pic, this is the right one http://www.diana.dti.ne.jp/carplus/mitsubishi/ec5/p%26p.html

that pic looks more like an rb26 downpipe

They are using the Correct pic. RHD Japan are very careful to photograph all their items rather than using stock pictures.

Brad - I think you're confusing 'Pro Shop IIda' with 'Pros Engineering'.

This is the Pro Shop IIda page. You can see the downpipes near the bottom of the page:

http://www.ps-iida.co.jp/galant/galant.html

bradc
21-08-2007, 09:08 PM
ahh yep, good point :)

Kieran
30-08-2007, 12:35 AM
Right.... I have now lined RHD Japan's pockets with more of my hard-earned........:inquisiti

Mark 4
30-08-2007, 09:24 PM
How much did it cost in the end Kieran ?

Kieran
31-08-2007, 01:14 AM
With EMS (Express) shipping, £323. Ordered, just got to sit and wait for it now....

/Paces floor

Gly
31-08-2007, 07:09 AM
ouch!! thats $924.02nz dollars!!

getting a shop to make them would have cost way less!

Kieran
31-08-2007, 09:04 AM
Not over here, unless you could fab them yourself. Axeboy paid £300 for a set to be built on his car alone! Hate to think how much Hayward and Scott would want!!:inquisiti

Axeboy
31-08-2007, 11:45 AM
I had various quotes, and £300 was the cheapest, but most were similar.

Kieran
06-09-2007, 10:58 PM
With EMS (Express) shipping, £323. Ordered, just got to sit and wait for it now....

/Paces floor

Bloody stupid customs charges, muttermuttermutter...../Grrr

KHK
07-09-2007, 03:47 AM
excuse me, i 'd ask : what for? performance upgrade? appearance cosmetic upgrade?

Kieran
07-09-2007, 11:11 AM
excuse me, i 'd ask : what for? performance upgrade? appearance cosmetic upgrade?

Well, I expect *some* performance upgrade, what I don't know. I do have a datalogger now, so I can do some 'before' and 'after' power runs hopefully.

The other main reason I've bought one is that the standard downpipes on my car are pretty beat up. The heat shielding's all broken, the pipe to the front turbo has been crumpled in, and now there's soot all around one of the flexible joints, so I think it's leaking too - so yeah, they needed doing!

MarkSanne
07-09-2007, 12:30 PM
I have the same issues on mine Kieran. After installing the new PS-Iida downpipe the car will go back on the dyno. Nothing has changed, except the downpipe (and the amsoil oil & filter but I don't count on those to deliver more power). What does need to be said is that by then my new ACT clutchplate & pressure-group (?? how is this called in english) will be installed by then. Nevertheless... I only count on a few (max 8) bhp increase with the new downpipe. I have ran it about 4/5 months ago on the dyno so I think it would be a fair comparison.

Beastlee
11-11-2007, 09:51 PM
Guys is there any update on the arrival/fitment of the downpipes? I want to order the Iida ones fro RHD but would like to know how well they fit and if they seem worth the purchase.

Kieran
11-11-2007, 10:22 PM
Difficult to comment on performance alone, as usual it was installed alongside other upgrades.

The fit and finish of the Pro-Shop IIda pipes is excellent. No modifications needed. They do however sit lower than standard downpipes - simply because it's not possible to get a larger diameter equal length pipe to bend tight enough.

The change in exhaust note is interesting. Smoother and less coarse at low revs, but at top end it sounds a little too anodyne for my tastes - Less of a roar and more of a thrum, if you will.

As usual, RHDJapan were on the ball and I cannot fault their service!

MarkSanne
11-11-2007, 10:48 PM
Got mine a couple of weeks ago, but haven't been able to install it yet due to busy schedule and limited access to a carlift. I suspect I will have some difficulties fitting it as my G is a converted (a VR2 so to speak), although the previous ownwer did do a complete custom 2.75 or 3" (not sure, haven't measured it yet) dual exhaust so if I'm lucky he kept the downpipe original and modified the rest.

As Kieran says, the looks, feel & quality from PS Iida downpipe are top notch.

Beastlee
12-11-2007, 10:48 AM
Added it to my shopping list. So far I have nearly £400 lined up in the basket, just got to sort out somewhere to do the fitting.

K did you fit yours yourself? If so was it an easy job or do I need a lift?

timiano
12-11-2007, 01:15 PM
My new downpipes were £250 fitted from RC Development in Warrington. Good price, and good quality.

Tim

Kieran
12-11-2007, 09:08 PM
I fitted mine - Easy enough. The pipes are supplied with gaskets, so no worries there. Soak the existing turbo outlet bolts with plenty of releasing lubricant (I used Plusgas as WD40 wasn't helping!) and then crack them off - two per turbo. Remove the 02 sensor (you'll need an 02 wrench for this - it's a deep throat socket with a section missing to allow for the wire), unbolt the cat and off you go.

To refit the pipes is easy enough - However if you have any under-brace (like a cusco item) - you'll need to remove that. There's not enough clearance. Also, one of the rear turbo nuts is a pain in the backside to get at when you reassemble. Fortunately, the torque setting is quite low, so if you haven't got a flexible socket driver, you can nip the other nut to torque easily, measure the resistance with a spanner and then tighten the tricky nut.:scholar:

Beastlee
13-11-2007, 09:14 AM
Kieran,

I think i'm definitely sold on it now. I'll try and find an 02 socket but I'm also interested in replacing the sensor for a wideband one as mentioned in the controller thread.

Cheers
Lee

richy rich
13-11-2007, 11:53 AM
I fitted mine - Easy enough. The pipes are supplied with gaskets, so no worries there. Soak the existing turbo outlet bolts with plenty of releasing lubricant (I used Plusgas as WD40 wasn't helping!) and then crack them off - two per turbo. Remove the 02 sensor (you'll need an 02 wrench for this - it's a deep throat socket with a section missing to allow for the wire), unbolt the cat and off you go.

To refit the pipes is easy enough - However if you have any under-brace (like a cusco item) - you'll need to remove that. There's not enough clearance. Also, one of the rear turbo nuts is a pain in the backside to get at when you reassemble. Fortunately, the torque setting is quite low, so if you haven't got a flexible socket driver, you can nip the other nut to torque easily, measure the resistance with a spanner and then tighten the tricky nut.:scholar:
(you'll need an 02 wrench for this - it's a deep throat socket with a section missing to allow for the wire) Not needed a spanner works just as well.

You can remove the rubber bung that takes the wire into the car pull and wriggle gently then the plug will come out of the hole. Unplug and remove sensor when down pipes are on floor away from the car you will find this very easy.

stuartturbo
13-11-2007, 09:05 PM
I'm sure ben did mine with a normal brake type ring spanner???