PDA

View Full Version : 4wd to Rwd

DefeXion
27-07-2007, 06:34 AM
Now here's a weird question that I might get a bit of flamage for, but I am really interested to know if it could be done.

We all know that an evo can be turned RWD. Can you turn a legnum or Galant RWD?

I have been looking through caps pictures trying to figure it out, but to be perfectly honest, I can't put much of an image together with it at all. I can barely tell what most of the parts are from the diagram.

Kenneth
27-07-2007, 06:42 AM
can be done fairly easily. though not good for your rear diff as it is not designed to transmit the full power to the rear wheels.

You first need to weld up the centre diff (in the transfer case) and then take apart the inner CV joints at the front so that you are only left with the inner cups (green bits) which you leave connected to the car (as they seal the oil in) to run freely.

Thats it.

apart from getting a few spare rear diffs as you will destroy them.

Gly
27-07-2007, 06:52 AM
fit a non ayc vr4 rear diff... may take more of a beating than a str diff.

Kenneth
27-07-2007, 07:09 AM
lol, didn't see he had a STR... STR might be ok on a standard diff... wont know till you try it I suppose :P

DefeXion
27-07-2007, 07:41 AM
Sounds like it could be a goer of an idea then. :D I've always wanted to do it, but I've never had the technical knowledge to Actually do it.

bradc
27-07-2007, 10:40 AM
the ST-R diff is actually quite small, you can tell that just by looking at the outside. because the ratios aren't going to be super important you could probably go with quite a few sorts of diffs and just bolt them in :)

DefeXion
27-07-2007, 11:20 AM
methinks a triton diff sounds good and tough. :)

Is it true that the front diff is aluminium though? If so, wouldn't that make welding a nogo?

Paul Beazer
27-07-2007, 12:21 PM
Will you have it long enough to destroy the diff though? I would have thought 1 overly heavy right foot on a wet road would do that for you....../pan

Wodjno
27-07-2007, 04:03 PM
take apart the inner CV joints at the front so that you are only left with the inner cups (green bits) which you leave connected to the car (as they seal the oil in) to run freely.

I reckon those inner cups would fall out /yes

Kieran
27-07-2007, 04:51 PM
You reckon? Think there's enough inertia in there to bust out the circlips?

Nutter_John
27-07-2007, 04:59 PM
A guy who did this on an evo welded them in place so Wodjy may be correct

chocofrog
29-07-2007, 10:15 AM
it would be awesome to see a legnum drifting in the d1 championship, they have an estate bmw so why not a vr-4.

DefeXion
30-07-2007, 05:38 AM
the legnum is wider than the beamers methinks, so lose some weight out of the roof and she will be sweet. :D

I don't think the computer would like the rear wheel drive though. I was talking to the mechs at slm and we agreed that to go rwd would need an aftermarket ecu that isn't tied into the ayc unit or abs or anything.

bradc
30-07-2007, 05:49 AM
you don't have ayc

DefeXion
30-07-2007, 11:34 PM
oh yeah... ROCK ON!!!!

ako
31-07-2007, 09:16 AM
The cups dont fall out - considering you need to bash them out with a hammer you'd be lucky to have them come out on their own.

I just use a frost plug to blank the hole up instead.

Goes for anything 4wd - lock the centre diff, remove front axles, voila now RWD. Will have the same effect on anything from a skoda to a lambo.

DefeXion
31-07-2007, 09:31 AM
I'm still doing a bit of research on this before I delve into an unreversable mod. I am satisfied that the mechanics will be fine, but now I need to make sure that my insurance won't become void if I do this. May end up changing insurance companies for this. State are a pain in the arse.

Wodjno
31-07-2007, 05:42 PM
The cups dont fall out - considering you need to bash them out with a hammer you'd be lucky to have them come out on their own.

My rear 1's only needed a little tap :D

DefeXion
01-08-2007, 12:56 AM
Well your not going to be using them, so while all the welding stuf is out, it's not going to be overly difficult putting a bit of weld around them.

Kenneth
01-08-2007, 03:58 AM

I just use a frost plug to blank the hole up instead.

Goes for anything 4wd - lock the centre diff, remove front axles, voila now RWD. Will have the same effect on anything from a skoda to a lambo.

Hadn't thought of using frost plugs... good idea though!
As I have a spare transfer case I might do that or something permanent :)

zentac
03-10-2007, 08:27 AM
can be done fairly easily. though not good for your rear diff as it is not designed to transmit the full power to the rear wheels.

You first need to weld up the centre diff (in the transfer case) and then take apart the inner CV joints at the front so that you are only left with the inner cups (green bits) which you leave connected to the car (as they seal the oil in) to run freely.

Thats it.

apart from getting a few spare rear diffs as you will destroy them.

I hope this wasnt a serious post, you can just remove front driveshafts... they do more than just drive the wheels. If youve ever move a car about without driveshafts in you will realise what I mean.

Kenneth
03-10-2007, 09:21 PM
I hope this wasnt a serious post, you can just remove front driveshafts... they do more than just drive the wheels. If youve ever move a car about without driveshafts in you will realise what I mean.

Yes it was serious. If you go back and read the post again you will see that I have mentioned welding up / locking the centre diff.

If you still have trouble with this, you aught to talk to a member by the name ako, has he has done this himself. I am quite surprised that you haven't come across any of his threads regarding it.

Nutter_John
03-10-2007, 09:23 PM
This has also been done on a 600 bhp evo

zentac
03-10-2007, 09:27 PM
weve got an evo sat arround with no driveshafts and my fto hasn't had any for quite a while and you can see the wheels getting wider appart. What is there to stop them spreading?

Kenneth
03-10-2007, 09:33 PM
weve got an evo sat arround with no driveshafts and my fto hasn't had any for quite a while and you can see the wheels getting wider appart. What is there to stop them spreading?

the suspension arms...

CV joints, half shafts whatever you want to call them do not actually pull on anything, if the wheels went wider they would just pop out anyway.

Paul Beazer
04-10-2007, 12:58 PM
the suspension arms...

CV joints, half shafts whatever you want to call them do not actually pull on anything, if the wheels went wider they would just pop out anyway.
I agree, how dodgy would it be if the wheel geometry was dependent on the driveshaft and CVs only.
I the wheels are spreading with no driveshafts in there is something else seriously wrong.......

zentac
04-10-2007, 07:41 PM
they do to an extent, otherwise why would you have a 22mm nut and split pin on the end?

Nutter_John
04-10-2007, 07:45 PM
The Nut is to hold the drive shaft in place , if you where to remove the entire drive shaft on each side you would leave that part of the drive shaft on the car .

Kenneth
04-10-2007, 08:40 PM
Suspension geometry is NOT in ANY way dependent on the half shafts.

The length of the suspension arms do not vary (unless you had adjustable ones, but then you would actually have to manually adjust them) because they are metal. The track width can vary slightly with the angle of the lower arm in relationship to the ground, and if your suspension bushes are absolute crap it could even move a few more mm. but thats it.

if you reach under a car you should find the half shafts actually have some movement in them. The shaft has to have this because as the suspension compresses the length of the shaft has to change or it will bind. If you removed the rubber boots on the cups, the half shaft should separate.