PDA

View Full Version : steering judder and advice please

boab
29-07-2007, 01:33 AM
hi i have a 2000 W 2.0gls (ea2a) the steering judders at around 65-75 above that all is well and below is fine have changed the wheels to try and get rid of the problem from 14" to 17" wolfrace voodoo II with 215/45/17 tyres problem still there had them rebalanced different places swoped front to back lower control arms replaced, lower trailing control arms replaced (ps if anyone needs a set of lower trailing control arms let me know ball joint ends are fine slight wear on passengerside bush) brake calipers slide fine all coppersliped up running out of ideas here. i am going to replace the disks and pads if some one could recomend a good set and will a full bilstein B12 kit fit my car as the rear shocks are gone and need replaced anyway. Any help would be great.

Boab

Ps feels like you are driving on ice at 70 in the rain vibration takes all feeling of the road away

psbarham
29-07-2007, 10:01 AM
remove the brake discs completly and clean up all the mounting faces with some wet and dry , do this on the hub and the wheel as well , make sure there is no corrosion on any of the mouting faces and rebuild it without any grease on any of the faces and then torque the wheels up to 100 newton mtrs

I-S
29-07-2007, 10:53 AM
I agree with PSB - change the discs but in the process make sure that you REALLY clean the hub faces up well.

As for what discs are good - Rossini fronts would be my recommendation, and advise that you avoid Black diamond. Rear discs really don't matter as they don't do much, so a set of Delphi ones from a motor factor should run you about £45 the pair (part no BG3400).

B12s would fit, but not recommended for road use. Yesterday fitted B4s to the front of my GDI but haven't yet given them a good drive. B4s are suitable for gentle lowering and seem to offer a good mix of ride and handling with eibach springs, from all I've read.

boab
29-07-2007, 12:49 PM
why not the B12s have people had problems with them or is it that they are just to hard for normal road use, i would rather have a stiffer suspension as the roads i travel on are mostly twisty with a lot of up and downs not like the nice roads you have down south :) the brakes also tend to get cooked a bit so i am looking for a good set of front disks and pads not sure about slotted ones are they better.
thanks for your advice so far

Boab

I-S
29-07-2007, 08:11 PM
I live in the middle of the pennines - the 4th most dangerous road in the UK is my commute to work and it has a fair few twisties.

There's nothing "wrong" with the B12s. However, in combination with 17" wheels, the B12 kit will be extremely unrelenting - loosened fillings and buckled wheels may ensue. Given how much is down to geometry and tyres, they won't significantly increase speed around corners compared to B4s or B6s.

As for the brakes - since your 2.0 had 14" wheels on it, that means also that you have the infamous 256mm brake disc. Plain and simple - they are underspecced for the car and even treated carefully they will tend to warp in short order. There's a long list in the member's area of compatible "upgrade" discs and pads. My experience was that cross-drilled discs didn't help.

psbarham
29-07-2007, 08:15 PM
As for the brakes - since your 2.0 had 14" wheels on it, that means also that you have the infamous 256mm brake disc. Plain and simple - they are underspecced for the car and even treated carefully they will tend to warp in short order. There's a long list in the member's area of compatible "upgrade" discs and pads. My experience was that cross-drilled discs didn't help.

i have found the cheapest option is a set of preface lift vr4 calipers and discs and a set of xp8's , trust me for 150 quid and a bit of labour you cannot beat it :pimp2:

I-S
29-07-2007, 08:24 PM
I wonder if the 275mm setup from the later models will fit an earlier one? It would be an easier job than the VR4 parts (no drilling!).

psbarham
29-07-2007, 08:35 PM
I wonder if the 275mm setup from the later models will fit an earlier one? It would be an easier job than the VR4 parts (no drilling!).
i thought the later ones would have the bigger spacing on the caliper , if not then that would work

pitslayer
31-07-2007, 05:04 AM
if it still vibrates at 65-70, i had the same problem, change your steering rack ends, camskill to do them for 36quid i think, i replaced mine. job done, no more bouncing around, no more vibrations

boab
07-08-2007, 04:09 PM
new discs and pads fitted wheels rebalanced Vibration all gone now
Isaac how does the new suspension feel did you change the springs as well as fitting the new shocks. Been looking on the net for B4's or B6's but all i can find for my car is the B12 kit

Boab

I-S
07-08-2007, 04:29 PM
Glad we could help...

My previous shocks were pissing oil all over the place, so not a good comparison really... With the new ones it's smoother over small bumps than my old galant or this one before the shocks were changed, but perhaps a bit firmer in the corners. I did not change the springs.

B4 parts are: Bilstien BNE-6299 £42.56 (front) BNE-6342 £42.56 (Rear)
Both available through Motorsportworld. Have a read of this thread: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15790

I would also urge you to join the club, even though your car is not a VR4 - there's lots of useful info and guides in the members area which apply to the other galants too, as well as help on hand from other members.

RugbyPete
07-08-2007, 10:11 PM
ive got a misting rear shock.... grat excuse for some new ones huh :)

Finally reduce the huge gap in theos arches!.... then i suppose its alloy refurb time