PDA

View Full Version : im going to cry!

richard_v6
29-07-2007, 06:29 PM
i think i have got a atf leak it was fine when i drove it back from london yesterday
went for a litte play this morning.got back and washed and polished her
car had been sat for a couple of hours when i moved car i noticed a 2 patches of red fluid on floor it looks like it comes from rear right side of engine . Cant be sure has its dripping off the undertray./Grrr

Paul C
29-07-2007, 06:56 PM
if you cant see the leak lets hope its only a loose sump plug.

richard_v6
29-07-2007, 07:02 PM
is this common paul?

Paul C
29-07-2007, 07:06 PM
wouldn't know but its an easy fix other than that you could be looking at leaky gaskets,split pipes. your best bet is to take tray off and have a look and then go from there

richard_v6
29-07-2007, 07:13 PM
ive have a day of on wenesday so will take it to a garage to see what the culprit is.

richard_v6
29-07-2007, 07:14 PM
is it best not to drive it at all till then?

Physician
29-07-2007, 07:32 PM
Ummm .......... probably the torque converter seal. This is a known issue with our cars. If confirmed, I'm sorry to tell you it's a lengthy job so labour costs are high but the part itself only about £12.00.

In meantime check the ATF hasn't been overfilled.

Kieran
29-07-2007, 07:35 PM
Ummm .......... probably the torque converter seal. This is a known issue with our cars. If confirmed, I'm sorry to tell you it's a lengthy job so labour costs are high but the part itself only about £12.00.

In meantime check the ATF hasn't been overfilled.

What he said. Don't despair.... The gearbox will soldier on, provided you keep it topped up, BUT it will get worse to the point where it will be pouring out!

richy rich
29-07-2007, 07:54 PM
Ok to find out if its the tc seal get under the car and remove the inspection plate on the bell housing. If there is atf in the bottom of the bell housing then sorry it will be the tc seal.

Paul Beazer
29-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Richard is this the car you got from Keighly?? Did you get a warranty with the car? If so i'd be onto them like a shot tomorrow morning.
Might want to do a search about them on here, some peeps have got good cars, others lemons. You could try speaking to trading standards too to see where you stand.
Would this be an MOT failure? (Prob not) If so they presumeably sold it with a new MOT....

richy rich
29-07-2007, 08:07 PM
Would this be an MOT failure? No.........

Paul Beazer
29-07-2007, 08:24 PM
No.........
I was just trying to pursue the not of merchantable quality / illegal type avenue.....

bradc
29-07-2007, 08:26 PM
well he has only had the car for a very short time. I would suggest going back there and telling them of the problem, but don't tell them what it might be, just refuse to take it back until the car stops leaking!

richard_v6
29-07-2007, 08:29 PM
which rich are u on about mine was brought private.

i have checked atf fluid while engine was warm it looked like there was fluid coming past the white plastic bit and about 1/2 way up metal cable on dipstick is this normal?

richy rich
29-07-2007, 08:29 PM
Yes Paul i see where you were going, but bad news is the small amount of atf we are talking about is not enough to go in that direction.

richy rich
29-07-2007, 08:36 PM

i have checked atf fluid while engine was warm it looked like there was fluid coming past the white plastic bit and about 1/2 way up metal cable on dipstick is this normal?
Good news is that sounds like it was over filled, as long as you have checked it correctly.

1 warm the car up.
2 park on level ground with engine running.
3 go though the gears ie P R N D a few times.
4 put in N still with the engine running.
5 then check atf level it should be between the two lines with hot on it.

Physician
29-07-2007, 08:41 PM
Good news is that sounds like it was over filled, as long as you have checked it correctly.

1 warm the car up.
2 park on level ground with engine running.
3 go though the gears ie P R N D a few times.
4 put in N still with the engine running.
5 then check atf level it should be between the two lines with hot on it.

It does sound like an overfill richy rich ........ but I'd be slightly concerned that the seller knew of an issue and therefore overfilled ..... BUT hopefully not.

richy rich
29-07-2007, 08:47 PM
It does sound like an overfill richy rich ........ but I'd be slightly concerned that the seller knew of an issue and therefore overfilled ..... BUT hopefully not.
He may have just over filled and thought I'm selling so fook messing about or doesn't know how to get the level correct.

The problem could just be some spilt atf that has worked its way down.

richard_v6
29-07-2007, 08:53 PM
had another look under car lots of fluid on underside of car
almost to middle of car,it probably spread when driving back so looks worse than it is hopefully

on another note it stalled on! me before i noticed leak i was coming down a duel carraigeway to a roundabout .slowing down to a halt and it just stalled,turned ignition off and back on all was ok.
did a search and came across some post relating to low atf and stalling so take it these problems are related to each other?

richy rich
29-07-2007, 08:57 PM
it does sound like a tc seal problem

Paul Beazer
29-07-2007, 10:19 PM

Bought from a copper? (If no im going to bed NOW as im obviously waaayy off the mark tonight!)

david
29-07-2007, 10:58 PM
mine stalls on tickover if you leave the a/c on just a thought

richard_v6
30-07-2007, 08:03 PM
Bought from a copper? (If no im going to bed NOW as im obviously waaayy off the mark tonight!)
yes i brought it of a motorbike traffic cop
i asked if there was any leaks he said no but he also said he had never used the triptronic in two years always used auto mode i drove it back in both but i dont think that would cause a leak would it?

richy rich
30-07-2007, 08:08 PM
yes i brought it of a motorbike traffic cop
i asked if there was any leaks he said no but he also said he had never used the triptronic in two years always used auto mode i drove it back in both but i dont think that would cause a leak would it?
The only way you can damage the gear box from using tip is by down shifting hard and using the box as a brake.

richy rich
30-07-2007, 08:11 PM
Also allot of people don't know they have a problem till the N light starts flashing and gear box sticking in 3rd.

richard_v6
30-07-2007, 08:52 PM
Also allot of people don't know they have a problem till the N light starts flashing and gear box sticking in 3rd.
ive had no flasing lights or sticking in any gears i looked though history and atf was changed in may this year. so hopefully its a tc seal got it booked it to be looked at wednesday morrning if i have no luck there im sure u and nick wont mind having a butchers on wenesday afternoon:scholar: hope in not being to cheeky in asking but u know what they say dont ask dont get/pan

richy rich
30-07-2007, 09:24 PM
ive had no flasing lights or sticking in any gears i looked though history and atf was changed in may this year. so hopefully its a tc seal got it booked it to be looked at wednesday morrning if i have no luck there im sure u and nick wont mind having a butchers on wenesday afternoon:scholar: hope in not being to cheeky in asking but u know what they say dont ask dont get/pan
just seen you are in redditch, ill look at it for you no pob.

richard_v6
30-07-2007, 09:29 PM
just seen you are in redditch, ill look at it for you no pob.thanks very much rich i will buy u a beer!:happy:

Beastlee
30-07-2007, 10:00 PM
Obviously after he looks at it and when he won't be driving :scholar: /pan

Nick Mann
30-07-2007, 11:23 PM
Sorry rich, as I said on the phone earlier, I haven't been online for a couple of days so I had missed all of this! I'll give you a call on wednesday, I'm sure Richard and myself will have a good look for you!

richard_v6
31-07-2007, 05:53 PM
you are a lovely bunch of people:iloveyou:

is it a good or bad idea too jet wash underside of car to make it easier to see were leak is coming from ?

Nick Mann
31-07-2007, 06:11 PM

is it a good or bad idea too jet wash underside of car to make it easier to see were leak is coming from ?

It depends on how bad the leak is! Sorry - not a useful reply.

Physician
31-07-2007, 07:33 PM

Nah ........ won't make much difference to where richy will look to confirm or otherwise.

Fingers crossed it's OK buddy :)

richy rich
31-07-2007, 09:42 PM
Nah ........ won't make much difference to where richy will look to confirm or otherwise.

Fingers crossed it's OK buddy :)
yep, no need to jet wash i can tell you tomorrow if it is good or bad news.

richard_v6
31-07-2007, 10:10 PM
thanks again i did jet wash the underneath tonight at car wash in town. drove back slowing down from about 80mph it stalled again when i got back home lay underneath car with a torch
could not spot anything leaking but it was leaking atf oil the other day i tried looking for ricirc dump valve. /pan couldnt find it cause these can cause it to stall which i read in a post somewere i never drove it at all yesterday the leak is about the size of a fried egg on the floor boggled as to what it could be?