PDA

View Full Version : BP Ultimate 102 petrol...

Dishuldog
29-07-2007, 10:20 PM
I found this today, quite iteresting I thought.

Quote:

(Mon 24 Apr 06)

BP is today launching what it describes as "the most advanced, high-performance petrol sold on any forecourt in the UK". It's called BP Ultimate 102 - a reference to the outstanding 102 octane rating - and it's designed for use in high-performance road or racing cars.

The significance of the high octane rating is that the engine's ignition can be remapped so that more power is produced without the risk of engine damage that would result if you used standard fuel. BP says that in testing it was able to remap ignitions to provide power benefits of between 4% and 7.5% without sending conrods through the walls of the test bay. In the case of a turbocharged car running higher than standard boost pressure an increase of 8.6% in maximum power was seen, with a 16% improvement elsewhere in the rev range.

On top of that, BP claims that Ultimate 102 is also cleaner than other forms of petrol, thanks partly to superior evaporation properties (therefore less unburnt fuel coming out of the exhaust), a "sulphur-free" formula and a benzene element of less than 0.1%.

OK sounds good so far, until you hear the price per litre...

Quote:

Since Ultimate 102 is, as they say in the business, "handmade" (it's manufactured in small quantities at BP's Speciality Fuels Technology Centre), it's pretty expensive. BP is quoting £2.42 per litre, /JawDroppi "subject to change dependent on market conditions", and we all know what market conditions are like these days.

for more info

http://www.bp.com/genericsection.do?categoryId=6621&contentId=7017179

stuartturbo
29-07-2007, 10:25 PM
been about for a while a faffing expensive localish place does it about £2.50 a litre last time i think

edit to say i should read full post but at that price may as well by pucka stuff coolblue etc

stuartturbo
29-07-2007, 10:30 PM
Cool Blue, 106 Octane Racing Fuel, 25 litre Drum.
This item is collection only.
Size: 25 litre
Colour: N/A
Code: sp133
Price: £79
£3:16 a litre