PDA

View Full Version : drivetrain limits?

triniVr4
30-07-2007, 03:36 AM
exactly what can our drivetrains handle in terms of power?.....can it handle 400-450HP being suddenly dumped to its internals?

what should i look for?..... what are the limits of the manual geartrain?

bradc
30-07-2007, 03:49 AM
the rear diff, transfer case and drive shafts are all likely to have problems with that much power

Kieran
30-07-2007, 09:01 AM
exactly what can our drivetrains handle in terms of power?.....can it handle 400-450HP being suddenly dumped to its internals?

what should i look for?..... what are the limits of the manual geartrain?

I think the honest answer is that we don't yet know Trini. There's been sporadic failures on some of the higher power cars (the ones upwards of 320bhp), but not all.

The things that have failed first have been AYC rear diffs and the gearbox output shaft, but it's difficult to say where the limit actually is.

Paul Beazer
30-07-2007, 12:12 PM
Just realised I oficially cant read subjects!

Nothing to see here, move along!

Axeboy
30-07-2007, 12:40 PM
My old Galant vr4's diff went at aprrox 350bhp

triniVr4
01-08-2007, 08:24 AM
hmm..what about upgerades? are there any other bits apart from the standard Ralliart stuff thats available?

Eurospec
01-08-2007, 09:24 AM
I dont know what would go, but i think you would be looking at breaking torsion bolts in the xfr box, AYC diff and clutch if manual, or 'gearbox' if auto.

I think the auto box will have a cow if you throw that level of power at it, but i dont actually know.

Cheers,

Ben.

amsoil
01-08-2007, 09:49 AM
What kills the components is not the BHP but the torque. You can also have as much as you like without problems; what kills things is having sticky tyres and dumping the clutch. The full force is then placed on the drivetrain and can only be released by the cars mass moving forward or something giving. If the traction of the tyres gives then thats OK but if they don't then the weakest part of the system will.

Nick Mann
01-08-2007, 11:24 PM
The gearbox output shaft is a weak link on the auto and the manual, but is the same as the Evo box and they already have upgrades available.
The AYC rear diff is also problematic on evos with that kind of power and often gets changed to an open or more usually a limited slip diff.
To be frank, after that, I have no idea!