PDA

View Full Version : 10k boost

I-S
31-07-2007, 01:17 PM
I bought some of this stuff to give it a try. It's a similar type of product to Amsoil's power foam, in that you spray it in to the engine through the air intake (AFTER the MAF!). It is rather more expensive. This stuff is a clear spray, rather than a foam.

The main reason I wanted it is because the GDI engines are known for coking up on the intake valves - they have very high levels of EGR, so plenty of carbon comes in this way and because of the direct injection, there's no fuel vapour to take it off (and means that v-power or redex type things can't help with it either). The only ways to deal with it are either to have the engine decoked with walnut shells (eh?) or to introduce something into the inlet manifold to soften/break up the carbon.

With the GDI, putting this stuff into the engine is very much a two person job because there is no throttle cable. One person must sit in the car and work the pedal while the other takes of the intake pipe and sprays into the manifold.

So, as part of last weekend's great works, Kieran and I tackled this as first order of business. No real problems with doing any of it - there weren't the great clouds of smoke as the amsoil power foam generated from the GLS. In fact, it was difficult to tell if it was doing much at all, other than trying to make the engine stall and knock.

After a little drive to clear the car's throat a little (as recommended), I got to work with changing the oil. It was BLACK. Some of that will have come from the 1500 miles it's been in there, some of it will have come from it doing what it's intended to do with the short intervals at the moment (ie to carry out the coked-up gunk from the engine). Perhaps some of it was dislodged by the 10k boost... who knows.

Regardless, given a couple of days driving, the engine has definitely perked up somewhat. How much is down to the benefits of oil changing, and how much to the 10k boost is hard to say, but I've never had this level of improvement from an oil change before. One very noticeable change is that even from a cold start, the engine starts immediately now - not even a single complete turn on the starter. The GDI engine revs itself to 2000rpm for a few seconds and then drops almost immediately below 1000 (much sooner than the GLS engine), but that process of dropping down now occurs even faster than it did.

The GDI has significant mid-range (2000-4000) urge, and that's improved a little also. The other noticeable change is that higher revs are a bit smoother than they were (still not as smooth as the GLS) - perhaps this is from the oil change rather than the boost (although it didn't change like this on the previous oil change).

All in all, it does seem to have helped. I'd be interested to see how anyone else gets on with it.

BraindG
31-07-2007, 02:04 PM
im having an odd problem on mine just now where the revs will drop to around 500 when the rad fans stop, then it struggles to maintain any revage and sometimes it stales... like last night :( - just seems as if its finding it really hard to idle, both hot and cold...

you recon something like this would help?

(ive already cleaned stepper and inlet/throttle body, is anything else able to help)

pezza
31-07-2007, 02:40 PM
What oil are you using in the GDi Isaac, the mitsu boys always use diesel engine oil without fail due to the qualities... they are seeing GDI engines in their workshop every week due to coked up problems (and throttle body issues). The oil apparently helps a lot so they say...

I-S
31-07-2007, 04:21 PM
Right now I'm using Halfords 5W40 "fully synthetic" because it's cheap and good enough to carry gunk out of the engine while I'm doing various things (redex, 10k boost, ragging it, etc) to clear it out. I have a bottle of Amsoil 5W30 to put in once I'm done.

Barry - not sure, but have you checked your battery?

WildCards
31-07-2007, 04:23 PM
revage and sometimes it stales

Great use of the english language their Barry :scholar:

Johnny_Cashed
31-07-2007, 07:53 PM
Isaac, would this (or the amsoil product) be of much use in a V6? Being second hand and therefore not knowing the history, and going to use amsoil for the next change I'd like it to be as clean as possible.

I-S
31-07-2007, 08:45 PM
Yes and no...

I used the amsoil one on my GLS. I did it at the same time as plugs, oil, air filter, etc, so couldn't say what part it played. However, with the GLS and V6 it doesn't get anywhere that redex/v-power can't get, whereas with the GDI it does.

stuartturbo
31-07-2007, 09:11 PM
after seeing the state of some of the gdi bodies at work and what the amsoil did on the vr4 i am suprised it did lock up your engine with the amount of crap dislodged /lol
the Amsoil did do wonder for mine idle improved drastically something i blame on the HKS BOV