PDA

View Full Version : Which timing belt?

slaine
31-07-2007, 05:13 PM
Hi there, good evening.

I need to change my timing belt, and I'm not sure which one of these 2 should I order...
I have a Galant 2001 2.0L Sport petrol, and these are the details of the 2 belts I could find online:

Number of Teeth: 65
Length [mm]: 520
Width [mm]: 13
For balance shaft

Number of Teeth: 122
Length [mm]: 1162
Width [mm]: 29
For camshaft

If someone could let me know which one is the one for my car I'll be able to order it and change it in my local garage :)
Thaks a lot for the info.

Nutter_John
31-07-2007, 06:00 PM
Don't quote me on it but you will need both belts for the cambelt change ( may as well change the balance shaft as if it goes in the future you need to take the cambelt off to change it )

I would have thought that the garage should be able to obtain the parts cheaper than you can

Kieran
31-07-2007, 06:18 PM
Yep, you need both a timing belt and a balancer belt - they are both changed together. Don't be tempted to skip the balance belt - if it snaps it'll wind around your cambelt in an instant!:scholar:

slaine
31-07-2007, 10:03 PM
Hi there, good night.

I'll buy them both then, thanks a lot for the answers /thankyou

I buy the parts myself, and then I took them to the local garage for the guys there to change them, I prefer buying BOSCH parts in most cases, I'm not sure which ones the garage will put on my Galant, I dont want cheap parts at all in me baby :laugh:
So, I need both belts then, I thought the cam belt change was just one :speechles good I asked around here before... thanks again :)

Eurospec
01-08-2007, 09:09 AM
One is the timing belt, the other is the balancer shaft belt as the guys have said already.

Mitsubishi belts you will find are made by Gates, which you will find to be one of the cheaper belts out there. I have heard of issues with Dayco belts, but everything else, ADL etc are fine to my knowledge.

Cheers,

Ben.