PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Dash and other lights.

rayray24
01-08-2007, 05:35 AM
Well finally got around to hooking my boost gauge up today, starting to wish i didn't /pan

I pulled my clock out and was doing what a few others on here have done BUT when i got power to the gauge somehow it has made my dash lights, door lights, radio and indoor lights stop going!!!/Grrr

The air con still goes, the dash still works(revs, speedo etc...).:happy:

I used the wires that were in the clock to power up the boost gauge

Have cheaked all of the fuses and are all good, tried unplugging the gauge and have unhooked the battery twice and still NOTHING

Anybody got any ideas??

Gly
01-08-2007, 06:00 AM
have you checked the engin bay fuses...
theres one in there that has a dome light symbol...

aslo i wouldnt piggy back any guages from any exisiting feed in the car...
it will blow fuses, or worst case, melt wires....

run them diectly off your battery using a horn relay

rayray24
01-08-2007, 06:25 AM
Sweet thanks man.

rayray24
01-08-2007, 06:37 AM
Sweet, thanks gly that was the only fuse i didn't cheak lol. All fixed now, i got too worried too quick.

Gly
01-08-2007, 07:28 AM
lol sweet as,

been there done that before, haha :P

d i c k i e s
01-08-2007, 10:59 AM
sweet rayray you can do gauges now huh? now i know who i can go to.... hmmm.

rayray24
01-08-2007, 11:05 PM
Would you trust me bro lol i'm still in the learning stage. /pan

Not that hard with this site things are a little easier. :iloveyou:

Kenneth
01-08-2007, 11:46 PM
rayray, can you tell me which fuse please? a pic with it circled would be best.

I have the same problem, but somewhat more serious... knowing which fuse it was would help me trace the issue.

I take it the dash lights didnt work, but the CEL and other lights worked on the dash? (ie when you started it up they all came on)

rayray24
02-08-2007, 01:05 AM
Yeah thats right kenny only the backlit part didn't work but needles and warning lights still did, umm the fuse you want is "fuse 1" top left just below the music note. It's a 10 amp fuse.

Kenneth
02-08-2007, 01:19 AM
Yeah thats right kenny only the backlit part didn't work but needles and warning lights still did, umm the fuse you want is "fuse 1" top left just below the music note. It's a 10 amp fuse.

Thanks, ill take a look.

Can you do a test for me please? Get your car up to running temp (or do this after driving somewhere) then pull out the fuse and sit there and give the car a few revs (no too much of course) and see if the radiator fans start/stop. Keep an eye on the temp, and if it goes up above half then stop the car and put the fuse back.

I am hoping its all connected and I just have a minor wiring fault, if the rad fans still go with the fuse out, then there is something else wrong with the galant wiring :P

rayray24
02-08-2007, 01:27 AM
I'll give it a go soon when i go and get some food. Cool will post back later.

rayray24
02-08-2007, 03:01 AM
Right, kenny i tried what you were asking.

Took the fuse out and warmed the car up, no the fans didn't come on, i put the air con on and that fan went.

I put the fuse back in, but the fans still didn't go, only when air con on.

As for getting hotter? It just stayed the same. I think that it just wasn't under load. I don't think that fuse controls fans, just a few lights.

Kenneth
02-08-2007, 03:05 AM
Right, kenny i tried what you were asking.

Took the fuse out and warmed the car up, no the fans didn't come on, i put the air con on and that fan went.

I put the fuse back in, but the fan still didn't go (air con still going).

As for getting hotter? It just stayed the same. I think that it just wasn't under load. I don't think that fuse controls fans, just a few lights.

Thanks dude. Its the radiator fans that are the issue for me, the air con fans work on the galant too, just not the rad fans!

yeah, You need to open the bonnet to check the lower radiator hose, the engine will get up to running temp long before the radiator is actually flowing hot coolant (if the lower hose is too hot to hold, then you are in business)... which is why having a drive is good, if not you will need to leave it sit a while or rev it a bit.

Once hot, you then actually need to hold it at about 3k for a bit (depends on ambient temps too) to actually get it to start over heating. Rad fans don't come on until the temps cant be managed without them.

d i c k i e s
02-08-2007, 05:55 AM
Would you trust me bro lol i'm still in the learning stage. /pan

Not that hard with this site things are a little easier. :iloveyou:

Well i guess you will have to install 1 more gauge, so you have plenty of experience under your belt.

Dont worry bro, i trust ya! :inquisiti

rayray24
06-08-2007, 10:20 AM
Hey kenneth, sorry i haven't tested the fan/fuse thing again, i got bored and played with my brakes and broke them /pan /pan So been parked up for two days.

So dickies i'm learning how to fix brakes now so one more thing under the belt!?!

CANDEE
06-08-2007, 10:25 AM
You broke them? How?

rayray24
06-08-2007, 11:40 AM
Umm leaking fluid (after i undid some bolts :thinking: /pan ), all good got someone coming to fix it thou and show me what not to undo.

CANDEE
06-08-2007, 09:41 PM
Nice.. sounds like my fuel tank issue... :thinking:

d i c k i e s
07-08-2007, 02:13 AM
So dickies i'm learning how to fix brakes now so one more thing under the belt!?!

Nice, so you can do my brakes too now aye? replace brake pads etc...
your starting become my new local mechanic. lol