PDA

View Full Version : Lumpy idle when hot solved

Beastlee
02-08-2007, 06:22 PM
Was reminded of something I meant to post whilst selling the car yesterday. I was suffering from the common problem of poor idling when starting the car from hot. Having read a lot fo posts about stepper motors and vacuum pipes I didn't have ime to do any investigation.
Just before JAE I realised I had to buy a new battery and replaced it with a 60Ah/500CCA unit for £48. I hadn't realised but since doing this I hadn't had a single problem with hot starts. I'm not saying it was the answer but it seems a little co-incidental to me.

bradc
02-08-2007, 09:34 PM
Sounds like good news :)

Kieran
02-08-2007, 10:32 PM
You may be right there Lee..... Before my original alternator crapped itself, I had this problem every now and again. When the alternator died, it took the Jap-Spec 'SX-2' battery with it. Since fitting a 630CCA Heavy Duty Exide Bad Boy, the issue hasn't re-appeared. :book:

Eurospec
03-08-2007, 09:20 AM
Whenever you do a disconnect, you do get an ECU re-set too, which may or may not help.

Certainly a low voltage condition at idle will confuse the stepper motor and you can get all sorts of wierdies. Its pretty common.

Cheers,

Ben.