PDA

View Full Version : Mot

enigma
30-12-2003, 04:03 PM
Well its that time of year again! My wifes Punto went in yesterday and passed with flying colours. The VR4 went in today and failed :( the list is as follows:

Rear o/s tail light bulb not working..............£00.50
Rear number plate bulb not working............£00.50
No fog lights ;).......................................£10.00
n/s and o/s lower ball joints f11cked...........£340.00 :wtf:

Suprisingly the emmisions were OK, the tester couldn't believe it! I know him quite well and he was teasing me about swapping the cat back on, it passed without though!!! :thumbsup: :hurrah:

So just £350 to fork out :wow: I cant believe the ball joints are so expensive, it may get rid of the annoying rumbling I have on the motorway though :D

SGHOM
30-12-2003, 04:14 PM
not a bad result Dave !! fortunately my ball joints were new when I bought the car, so fingers crossed! my fog light is also duff. :thinking:

Spirit
30-12-2003, 09:05 PM
Wow ! Passed emissions with de-cat on ! Dave, did it pass comfortably or only just ? I thought I would be swapping the de-cat over for an MOT.

zedy1
30-12-2003, 10:29 PM
mine due soon, mid jan, passed with flying colours last year so see how it goes this tmie

Big Ian
30-12-2003, 11:40 PM
i had the cat removed on my cavalier and at the mot the guy said he cant fail the car on something that is not there to be tested? in other word's if it's not there he can't check it so he can't fail it..

zedy1
30-12-2003, 11:52 PM
it supposed to be there on 90 onward

Big Ian
31-12-2003, 01:48 AM
it was a 93 motorsport saloon which id spent an absolute fortune on (modding it) for the mot (3yrs in a trot) he just put it through the emision test as a early model i think the fact i bought it from his garage helped and the fact he was and still is a vauxhall petrol head.also i think it's 92 onward's for a cat as standard?

ReggieK
31-12-2003, 12:26 PM
I'm confused chaps. Mitsubishi in Reading told me my car would fail automatically without the cat. You guys seem to be saying that that ain't so.

What's the facts, does it need to have the cat or not? Is the truth out there....

enigma
31-12-2003, 12:52 PM
Well mine has just passed its emmisions without one! I put it down to ultra clever japanese engineering!

Nice lean burning engine we have I guess!

banjo
31-12-2003, 01:12 PM
MIne was MOT'd on Monday this week and passed okay, it was mentioned that the exhaust system is rusty and will need changing soon. I would like a stainless system and don't mind a tad more sound (that's after being in my son's Evo VII with an exhaust outlet you can get your head into!!) so I'm open to suggestions. Can we get a discount now from selected suppliers?

Brind
31-12-2003, 04:17 PM
As far as I'm aware it's 93 onwards.
If car has a CAT fitted from the date above it must be left fitted and working by law.
If you still have a CAT fitted but it is knackered but the car still passes the test then it's legal as no one would be any the wiser.
If obviously the CAT is removed and it fails emissions then you only have one option and that's to put it back on.
If you were pulled over by police and they check to see if you have a CAT installed and you don't.. they can fine you and make you refit it and re-take your MOT test again, as you were aware it is an offence to have a CAT removed on a road going vehicle.

MOT testers should really fail you for removing it, but I guess that is only time before they have to by law...

If you have removed your CAT and you have a Mitsubishi warranty then you have made void your warranty, and they will check for it too and since they are the only people allowed to MOT your car there is no escape.

Big Ian
31-12-2003, 08:30 PM
i reckon if you don't tell them it's not on .then you can play stupid and tell them you have one and you will put it on for the re-test "if they notice" as some report's say "they don't work anyway" when i got my cavy tested 3 year's in a row the emision was still lower than the pre cat i also think running on super unleaded (or a good octain boost) and a fresh oil change before the mot help's make your car lower emision for a short while.i also ran my cavy on a mix of aviation+unleaded which kept the engine internal's spot less. (it wouldn't run proper on anything else?)

Spirit
01-01-2004, 01:37 AM
I know of two people who have been passed by having the cat in the boot ! The testers were happy to accept this and pass them - guess it's pot luck on the MOT station

Brind
01-01-2004, 01:55 AM
I know of two people who have been passed by having the cat in the boot ! The testers were happy to accept this and pass them - guess it's pot luck on the MOT station

How does that reduce emissions? can you get more power that way? :-D

Big Ian
01-01-2004, 06:13 PM
:lolz: iv'e heard of folk kepping cat's in a basket "but in the boot" i'm calling the RSPCA!!! :arse:

enigma
13-01-2005, 09:18 AM
Found it! This is when I paid for my ball joints to be changed as they failed the MOT!

This is after the recall notice of 30/11/2003 stated on pieboys link.......hmmmmmm :sad3:

ileonc
13-01-2005, 04:39 PM

I used to do that for my motorcycle MOT, used to have a full race system on the bike and a standard BS stamped end can in my rucksac. I guess as long as the MOT'er sees you have a standard can he can plead that it was on the bike when you MOT'ed it and the naughty owner must have switched it after passing! This must be of the same ilk when it comes to removed CATs.

My new bike is up for MOT soon so I guess I have to find a friendly MOT place.

And I put my car in for MOT last Saturday afternoon, passed with no faults, as soon as I pulled out of the garage forecourt, **PLINK** went a front headlight. I guess it was straining to much holding itself together for the test.

ritch_w
13-01-2005, 04:59 PM
If you have removed your CAT and you have a Mitsubishi warranty then you have made void your warranty, and they will check for it too and since they are the only people allowed to MOT your car there is no escape.

how are they the only people allowed to MOT our cars??? dont quite understand :rolleyes5

Polabear
13-01-2005, 05:38 PM
Found it! This is when I paid for my ball joints to be changed as they failed the MOT!

This is after the recall notice of 30/11/2003 stated on pieboys link.......hmmmmmm :sad3:

Not only me with the V6-24 then, had to have another one replaced under the recall only 8 months after having them both replaced under warranty........ :Eek1: :wtf:

simpsonm
14-01-2005, 10:15 AM
I read up on this and you do not need a CAT on your car, but it needs to pass the emissions test. The CAT is normally the only option to do so.

nick-f1
14-01-2005, 08:31 PM
i had the cat removed on my cavalier and at the mot the guy said he cant fail the car on something that is not there to be tested? in other word's if it's not there he can't check it so he can't fail it..

This is untrue........ or at least according to my mate Terry who.s an mot tester. I removed my cat to fit BDA's pipe using his hoist and asked him about this. He says it has to pass certain levels for its year of manufacture and model. If this model is not listed they have to ring the Ministry for specific model instruction by law. He says he cannot fail mine for not having a cat fitted but it will have to pass the emissions level for '98 cat or no cat,garages that use " discretion" shall we say are on dodgy ground and if the ministry examines the machine printouts they can be in trouble. So basicly He's told me to bring my cat along at mot test time in march then if it fails its emissions we can refit it for the test and remove AFTER the test.