PDA

View Full Version : Manual or Auto gearbox?

fordprobe24
04-08-2007, 07:57 PM
I am trying to find a good V6 Galant and was wondering if there really is a big difference in the 0-60 times for the Manual and Auto gearboxes.

According to Parkers the Manual is 7.9secs and the Auto is 9.3secs.

Cheers

MGV6
04-08-2007, 09:22 PM
I am trying to find a good V6 Galant and was wondering if there really is a big difference in the 0-60 times for the Manual and Auto gearboxes.

Cheers

I think you have answered your question there :)

bradc
04-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Thats about right. The auto's only have 4 gears hence they are widely spaced and don't keep the car in it's powerband all the time. Plus auto's will use up a bit more power and put less of it to the ground.

Rambaud
05-08-2007, 08:57 AM
Yes, the auto is likely to be a bit slower - not that the 0-60 mph time is that useful a yardstick (unless you like renewing your tyres, clutch and gearbox on a regular basis).

It could depend on what type of driving you do - motorway or town etc.

I went for the auto, 'cos I like the Tiptronic.

I-S
05-08-2007, 12:08 PM
For real-world use autos are generally a bit quicker - they tend to have better in-gear pull because the torque converter can unlock, rev and get higher up the torque band, and you're never wrong-footed at a junction or something. Remember that the published 0-60 times for a manual involve doing nasty things to the clutch that you would not do to a car you owned.

Nick Mann
05-08-2007, 05:30 PM
Each to their own. The manuals are quicker or more frugal if driven properly. The autos give easy repeatable results.

RugbyPete
05-08-2007, 11:17 PM
i love my auto, easy to drive, and with british roads being clogged up all the time i get a rested clutch foot too :)

as for speed issues, i feel the only flat spot on the auto is abou 80ish, it sort of sits there needing to drop a cog, but once its at 90 its pulling again as it should

off the lights it hurtles forward, then mine goes clanks as something donky-donks as the torque moves into 2nd

ianturbo
05-08-2007, 11:28 PM

Cheers
keep ya probe man look what happened to me today /Grrr /Grrr /Grrr