PDA

View Full Version : Fitted my Super Wagons today

Wouter
04-08-2007, 09:09 PM
Having receieved my new suspension yesterday, I got right down to fitting them today.

I arrived at Barry's to find him missing in action..... not a good start as the skys looked darker and darker.

When he finally showed up I started and it was surprisingly easy, I had hoped for some help but Barry was in supervisor mode. /pan

To be fair he was looking after Fay.

I knew that the old coilovers were a bit FUBARed, but it was worse than I had thought.

Here are the pics.

uploaded/1151/1186257383.jpg
uploaded/1151/1186257466.jpg
uploaded/1151/1186257493.jpg
uploaded/1151/1186257517.jpg
uploaded/1151/1186257549.jpg

The next two pics show the most worrying part, the top pic shows how corroded the thread is for the height adjustment. The lower pic is how it should be.

uploaded/1151/1186257756.jpg
uploaded/1151/1186257812.jpg

The new suspension is miles better but I the car still wallows, tomorrow I will try fitting Barry's Cusco anti-roll bars to see if that resolves the issue.

I had fun today, but I did have a few distractions.....

Fay decided she like my hair and tried to plat it.

uploaded/1151/1186258033.jpg

And then a hug. :iloveyou:

uploaded/1151/1186258072.jpg

Spirit
04-08-2007, 10:49 PM
Where's the before and after pics of the car /pan

Glad you're pleased with them mate !

BraindG
05-08-2007, 08:53 AM
im not pleased with them, totally reconsidering buying Teins tbh :) - but will reserve further judgement till hes got other rollbars on.

TAR
05-08-2007, 11:29 AM
im not pleased with them, totally reconsidering buying Teins tbh :) - but will reserve further judgement till hes got other rollbars on.

Come on then, more detail.
Whats the ride like and did you spend some time setting them up correctly?

Wouter
05-08-2007, 09:23 PM
Come on then, more detail.
Whats the ride like and did you spend some time setting them up correctly?

They are very comfortable, but I after reading the tein.co.jp website, that is what they are designed for, they are for large cars and minivans.

I was hoping for a more brutal race car feel... and this is not it. I am not displeased though, they are a load beter than what they were, I will be e-mailing tein next week to see if I can get some stiffer springs.

Regarding the setup, there are only two things you can adjust on the Super wagons, the height and the damper setting, hard is hard, but the car still...how can I explain this... it still bounces up and down as if it were air suspension.

But I have been able to get all three the AYC lights working..... all the time! /rally

I think my next move will be too get some better droplinks and get the rubbers for the antiroll bar made of nylon, then I will probably get the cusco ones to see if they sort out the body roll, if I am still not happy I will try and get some harder springs.

stuartturbo
05-08-2007, 09:37 PM
not sure whats on mine but that seems quite hard did see on piccy of mine lifting the rear wheel at combe

Off to find it now

Nick Mann
05-08-2007, 09:47 PM
Okay, so your first post scared me! Your second one made me feel better. I don't want brutal - I want something that is comfortable day to day. My car is used for long distance drives more than track days!

I thought I'd bought a bad product for a minute!! Let me know how much difference the bushes make. It could be worth fitting £100 worth of those to help the handling a bit. I think there was nearly a group buy last year, but nothing came of it. Is it worth trying again?

BraindG
05-08-2007, 09:48 PM
For example, with my current suspension if you try to push down a wheel arch i.e. to "test" suspension.. it pretty much doesn't move, its rock solid..

The teins don't do that they still allow for quite some wobbelage, and thats what i don't want.. I've got used to driving in a go-kart and so she will stay.

White Lightning
06-08-2007, 05:40 PM
Interesting reading. Although, I guess Wouter you have gone from Tein to Tein and so is Barry (possibly). I will be going from standard suspension to Tein so my opinion may be somewhat different.

Kieran
06-08-2007, 06:09 PM
Maybe some Tein GT Wagon dampers would be more suitable if you wanted a firmer ride? I think they are 8KG/mm all round?

Must say though, be careful what you wish for... Go for rock hard springs and whilst the car won't budge through a corner, you may find that it gets twitchy. Might also be worth playing with the EDFC if you've got it - I wonder if the damping is too much on it's 'Hardest' setting and whilst making the car feel stiff, it's not giving enough compliance on bumps - making it Jar over them rather than soaking them up?

Compliance is your friend!:scholar: