PDA

View Full Version : URGENT Diff Help

Munta
05-08-2007, 03:48 AM
hey guys... i just attempted a oil change on my rear diff..
im just paranoid that i paranoid that i put gear oil in the ayc :S
i drained a lil bit of oil (not much came out) out of a bolt that was easy near the bottom of the diff that had 'oil' stamped on it and had 'gear oil ->' stamped on the diff itself... that im sweet with... but i searched the net and found an evo site/forum that said the fuller bolt was located at the rear of the diff near the top in kind of an awkward place to get to... this bolt also had 'oil' stamped on which i thought was mint

then i filled it up a bit using a hose to get the oil in there... and undid the (wot i think is the) drain hole and virtually nothing came out.. question is did i mix the ayc and diff oil :( any pics or help would be great,
i am down in gisborne away from home visiting the gf's family. got bored and decided to give it a go... now thinking this was a bad idea

Subaru ETA
05-08-2007, 10:31 AM
i cant remember but dont he ayc filler have ayc printed on it? im sure someone will be able to help out, it was ages ago that i did mine

Nutter_John
05-08-2007, 10:53 AM
think there are pics in the members area

but the drain plug for the clutch pack is a allen type key , the drain for the rear diff is a 24mm bolt

Filler points for clutch pack right at the top in through the subframe ( total bitch) and on the back of the rear diff

Nick Mann
05-08-2007, 05:33 PM
John, the drains are different on each car. I have worked on several cars that had 24mm drains for both.

The gear oil goes in the filler on the side of the diff. The ATF goes in the filler accessed through the rear sub frame.

Nutter_John
05-08-2007, 10:18 PM
all the clutch packs i've changed have been always been an allen key

Kieran
05-08-2007, 10:48 PM
all the clutch packs i've changed have been always been an allen key

That's odd - all the ones I've ever seen have been a standard Hex-headed bolt!:inquisiti

Nutter_John
05-08-2007, 11:03 PM
maybe I'm wrong then - richy help

RogerRally
05-08-2007, 11:51 PM
the big 24mm drain plug near the propshaft is for drain fluid for the diff side, 17mm refill plug in the left side case, the big 24mm in the center of the diff case is for draining the ayc fluid, and is toped up from the hidden 17mm plug behind the subframe, dont forget the bleed nipples from the high pressure pipes to.

Nick Mann
06-08-2007, 10:31 AM
Kieran/John

Both types of plug are used. Some have one of each, some have two 24mm plugs. Trust me! I may not be as experienced as Rich, but I have changed the diff fluids on 4 VR4's!

Munta
09-08-2007, 09:29 AM
thanx for all the quick replys guys... but i ended up stuffing things up haha... took car down to mitsi in gissy...
they did the ayc fluid, diff oil and transfer case oil all for $50 ^_^
we just glad we knew the repair manager and the dude that worked on the car

Subaru ETA
09-08-2007, 11:11 AM
$50?!?!?! **** thats good

KHK
09-08-2007, 05:17 PM
can this photo help? this was taken long time ago here

wirdy
15-08-2007, 12:36 AM
can this photo help? this was taken long time ago here
Good to see my photo's are still useful after all this time :happy:
Glad to hear the problem's sorted and perhaps Munta should have read-up beforehand?

......ahhh......just noticed.....Munta is a registered user only. There's the benefit of membership and access to members info.