PDA

View Full Version : New battery, problems with AirCon...

slaine
05-08-2007, 09:40 PM
Hi there, good night.

I just finished changing a few parts in the car, waiting for saving up enough money to buy a turbo... dont know how to but it's in my mind :d
Right this morning I changed the spark plugs, ignition leads, battery, and ground cables...
The spark plugs I've used are NGK Iridium, and the battery a BOSCH AsianSilver with 74A, but just after I finished and took the car for a ride something weird happened.
When the car is in iddle and I switch the AC the revs counter goes down and the car almost stops, in fact I was stopping at the traffic lights once with the AC on and the car engine just went dead /Grrr

I checked the parts I just changed in case I missed something, and everything looks alright, I even bought yesterday a torque wrench to put the spark plugs in the correct pressure from the service manual, 25Nm, and 2 ground cables when the car just had 1 before...
I'm not sure what could be wrong, all looks exactly the same than before but just different parts, I think better than the old ones :inquisiti

Any help/info/light on this matter I'll really appreciate it, I'm a bit worried now /help

Nick Mann
05-08-2007, 09:44 PM
The air con uses a lot of power. Not a problem if you are applying pressure to the gas pedal, but an issue if the car is stationary and idling. I don't know the 2.0 engine to be honest, but I would imagine that there should be a vacuum advance thing somewhere to help the engine when the air con clicks in. I would imagine that yours is either disconnected or non-operational.

Try following hoses from the throttle body and see if they all look like they go somewhere!

slaine
06-08-2007, 09:30 AM
Hi there, good morning.

Well, I'll try that then, I'll have a look and see if there is anything disconnected or something, but the thing is that before I changed all these parts this wasnt happening...
Thanks for the info :)

Kieran
06-08-2007, 10:29 AM
Don't Panic. Key thing is you disconnected the battery. This resets the ECU, and it does take a while to 'Learn' to trim the Idle-speed control motor to compensate for the Air-Con compressor being on-load. I had this with my 2 litre as well. I found the best way was to drive around for a good few days with the A/C on. After a few hours of running and idling, it'll sort itself out, though if it's anything like mine was you'll find the idle does settle at a lower tickover than before anyway.

The V6s also have the same issue - but it tends to be less noticeable. The extra two cylinders, plus the extra torque at idle means they're better at hiding it whereas the 2.0 can be bogged down.

Embarassingly, when I sold my GLS I had this happen - I'd noticed a sidelight bulb was blown a couple of hours earlier, so I swapped it, and removed the battery for easier access. Of course, we come back from the test drive, pull up, park the gearbox and the bloody car dies on it's ass......... :embarasse/pan