PDA

View Full Version : Help - ATF Cooling Questions

VR4 MAD
06-08-2007, 05:37 AM
Right a couple of questions to those who have had cause to play with or modified their ATF cooling.

Q1 - What effect (if any) does fitting a 1.3 Bar high pressure radiator cap have on the existing factory ATF cooler buried inside the radiator? Doesn't the higher pressure cap push the boiling point of the water higher thus allowing the whole system to run hotter without the radiator fluid boiling and getting bubbles forming? Thus wouldn't the cooling effect of the radiator on the ATF fluid be lessened? ie the ATF fluid will be hotter. Is this not a bad thing?

Q2 - What size (either OD or ID) are the two ATF pipes within the yellow circle in the picture below. These are the ones people typically use to connect/attach the pipes for an ATF cooler to I think. See the ATF cooler article here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4799&highlight=ATF+cooler).

ATF Cooler pipe connections - circled in yellow.

I need to know because the ATF cooler kit I'm thinking about comes in two flavours, one with #6 size hoses (whatever size that is) which includes the following, "AN (female) #8 - AN#6 adaptors x2". Flavour two is just plain #8 sized hoses and no adaptors. Which size hoses should I be getting?

Thanks in advance for the help guys.

/toycar

Gly
06-08-2007, 07:15 AM
yes its bad...

8mm ID.

Nick Mann
06-08-2007, 10:34 AM
The high pressure cap will allow the radiator to run hotter, rather than cause it to. Whether it will run hotter or not depends on how you are driving the car. If you are driving the car hard then the ATF cooler is a good idea anyway.

VR4 MAD
06-08-2007, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the replys and advice guys

The high pressure cap will allow the radiator to run hotter, rather than cause it to. Whether it will run hotter or not depends on how you are driving the car.
True, true.

If you are driving the car hard then the ATF cooler is a good idea anyway.
That's one of the main reasons why I'm considering an ATF cooler.

8mm ID
So the #8 sized hoses are the right ones then?

/toycar

Gly
06-08-2007, 08:21 PM
i have no idea... best to ask the seller.