PDA

View Full Version : Moaning Galant

RugbyPete
07-08-2007, 12:59 PM
Int he last week or so, I've noticed what can only be described as a whining noise from the engine bay.
It sounds like a granny mobile or golf cart, or any other electric motor whirring. Its whine level is at the same rate as the revs of the engine. at first i thought it was going to be a gearbox issue, but opening the bonnet at lunch the noise is the other side (left hand of engine bay) and noise coming from somewhere along the base left side of the engine (face on). The belt goes around one large pulley in the middle, could be that, whatever that is (oil pump?)

Air con etc. is all off by the way.

A few other factors, its due for an oil change, cambelt is due in 6500miles and so the waterpump

It could be it's a natural noise of the engine, but it's definately got louder due to the fact i can hear it inside the cabin.

Any ideas from anyone?

BraindG
07-08-2007, 01:02 PM
im assuming this is at idle? if so, what revage does it idle at?

RugbyPete
07-08-2007, 01:36 PM
its abou 600-800 revs or so, i'd have to check though
this noise gets loudest at about 2800-3000 revs, at whcih point the v6 engine note takes over

psbarham
07-08-2007, 01:39 PM
sounds like one or other of the belt tensioner pullys is a bit dry , the cheapest way to cure that is remove both pullys , pick the middle seal out of the bearing and repack it with grease , then replace the seal and put the pully back on

RugbyPete
07-08-2007, 01:42 PM
ah. I'd better call the garage again