PDA

View Full Version : GLS dampers advice please.

pophods
07-08-2007, 05:11 PM
Hi
1st post so please be kind:laugh:

My 1998 2L GLS saloon needs new shockers (63k.....) but I would rather not fit original spec as they were too soft from new, in my view.

I wondered whether front dampers from the diesel and rear from the estate are rated differently and whether they would fit.

Failing that, is there an after market option?

Cheers

pophods

Kieran
07-08-2007, 05:16 PM
The Diesel Galant wasn't sold in the UK so you'll struggle to get hold of them - Irish imports only.

Bilstein do supply standard B4 and Uprated (firmer damping) B6 shocks. They also supply B8 shocks (shortened versions of the B6). Search on 'Bilstein' and you should find the part numbers.:scholar:

ritch_w
07-08-2007, 09:03 PM
Bilstein shocks and KYB are alsways recommended. You can get KYBs from most local motorfactors, bilsteins - you might need to order from somewhere like http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/

I used KYBs on a v6-24 and thougt they were good, I think bilstiens may bee a touch better (especially if you go for eibach springs as well).

as Kieran says - have a search - there are plenty of posts on bilsteins and suspension.

pophods
08-08-2007, 07:04 PM
Thanks for advice guys.
I'm afraid I've gone with the boring option of B4s
pop

pophods
20-08-2007, 04:34 PM
now I've got a new car. Can't imagine how knackered the old ones must have been/woot2

Kieran
20-08-2007, 08:25 PM
now I've got a new car. Can't imagine how knackered the old ones must have been/woot2

A good choice, and I'm glad they've transformed the car for you!

You may have noticed they're a little firm at the moment - This is normal behaviour and they'll settle in after a few hundred miles.:scholar: