PDA

View Full Version : Different fuses' values???

slaine
09-08-2007, 09:22 AM
Hi there, good morning.

Since the first day I bought my Galant, about a couple of months ago, I noticed that the front lights, when I use the low beam position they dont light almost nothing, and the only one that turns on is the left one, the right one doesnt even light at all.
When I use the full/high/fog lights they all work alright.
First I thought that maybe the bulbs where dead, so I bought new bulbs all around, Osram ones (I read around here they are alright) and after changing them when I use any other light but the low beam they work fine.

So, I looked on the fuses box in the engine, and the black plastic cover has the same values that the fuses actually have, all correct here, but when I go to the manual of the car some values are different, the low beam lights being one of them, in the black plastic cover low beam lights are 10A, in the manual they are 15A, dont know if that'd make much difference, the alternator fuse in the black cover is 120A, car manual 100A, fog lamps black cover 15A, car manual 20A, and thats more or less what I see...

I'll buy a few 15A fuses to change the ones in the fuses box in the engine, just to check if there is any change...
Any info about this, greatly appreciated, many thanks :)

orionn2o
09-08-2007, 10:11 AM
It wont do anything except change the rate at which they blow.

If they are working fine and dont blow regularly at the moment, i'd be inclined to leave them as the values they are (assuming they are less than what the mainual states). Otherwise you'll just end up increasing the damage threshold should you get an item go short circuit.

The fuse though shouldn't cause the lights to be brighter or dimmer than normal. Only really dodgy wiring (which could be more resistive than usual - and as a consequence will get warm/hot)

Paul Beazer
09-08-2007, 01:35 PM
I'd go by the value on the actual fusebox. There are ammendments to spec etc which dont always make it to the manuals, even though they are std spec.

e.g. My car came with the Sport alloys which are 17", there is no listing on the pressure chart for these in the handbook.

As orionn2o says if the fuses arnt blowing, then dont change them. They are there to protect the equipment from overloads, they shouldnt affect the operation of the lights.