PDA

View Full Version : Timing Belt Pulleys?

kitefighter
10-08-2007, 01:31 AM
My VR-4 has reached that expensive time in it's life for the second time - the need to change the timing belt and spark plugs. (Every 45k miles).

I've ordered the parts along with the alternator belt and air con belt since to get them all done as well.

The local garage who are very good recommend changing the timing belt tensioner pulley and guide pulley along with the timing belt.

Is this standard practice these days? What else should I be changing whilst the engine is stripped?

Gly
10-08-2007, 06:10 AM
yes it is.

water pump,
alternator belt and power steering belts, and possible the tensioner for these,
mine were making a nice squeal on wet morning startups

unclepete
14-08-2007, 10:27 AM
Definitely get tensioners done - it appears mine weren't when the previous owner got the belt changed. Nice. It is now still in Holland with a wrecked engine.

Eurospec
14-08-2007, 10:41 AM
As far as the tensioners are concerned, officially Mitsubishi say inspect, but its better to replace.

Where you run into problems is the water pump. I am aware that the dealers 'mess' with the service schedules a little. For example, historically, the 'big service' has been at 60k. Some are now saying 54, and some 45.

One of our local dealers is now specifiying cambelt replacment for GTO's at 54k miles, but they dont do the water pump, nor do they advise on it. Take the car back at 60k and they want to do the pump, meaning you have to pay all the labour again after just 6k miles to fit the pump! And since the belt has been on there for 6k they are then very reluctant to re-use the old belt (rightly) so they get you for another belt too!

I really am starting to lose the plot with Mitsu's service schedules as they seem to blow in the wind.

Cheers,

Ben.

kitefighter
15-08-2007, 09:56 PM
Update. According to the local Mitsubishi Dealer, the tensioner and pulley do not need to be replaced.

The tensioner and pulley on say, a Vauxhall Vectra will need changing since it is made of nylon and has a history of failure.

The Mitsubishi items are made of steel.

Kieran
16-08-2007, 12:30 AM
Kitefighter.... I disagree with your dealership's view.

Okay, sure - the pulley is indeed a steel one.... However it still has a bearing race inside it and this isn't immune to age and wear/tear. In fact I've seen a V6 pulley and two VR-4 pulleys that were on their last legs at the perscribed intervals!

If you're getting the belt done, replace the water pump, the pulleys and the tensioner at the same time - It makes sense. Okay it's more expensive short term, but still cheaper than a rebuild if/when one of those old pulleys does fall out of spec....:inquisiti

cslotay
17-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Definately get the water pump done. mine had a slight leak and before I figured out where the leak was, the belt broke, pistons hit inlet valves and all 12 of them were bent.

luckily the exhaust valves survived. I am currently replacing the tensioner and idler bearings together with the water pump. not to mention the work done on the heads.

I still think that i was lucky that other parts like the camshafts and pistons did not get damaged. mind you bad things happen quickly. A slight water leak turned into a major repair all in a matter of a few days.

Oh and a leaking water pump can also cause overheating, leading to more issues like head gasket failure or cylinder head and engine block warping or cracking. serious stuff!!!! change it and the tensioners while you can.