PDA

View Full Version : Terrible experience on eBay

Zaid
12-08-2007, 12:44 AM
Had a terriable experince today with a Galant that was on ebay. Am sure some of you have seen it, its a black Y reg with LPG. From the description on ebay the guy seemed to be honest as he has pointed out the bad points on the car. I spoke to him for more than half an hour over the phone and tried to get as much details as I can. We made a deal over the phone and I paid him deposit through paypal. Took the train today with the misses all the way from Cardiff to Sheffield. The guy was kind enough to pick us up from the train station. However, I was shocked when I saw the car. The bodywork was terriable and anyone can tell that the car has been in an accident. The front bumper, wings and bonnet all where faded. Had a look underneath the car, a number of the bumper pins and screws werent connected to the body. From the rear side, one can see that there is a gap between the bumper and the body. The boot lid itself had a different key to open it. Anyway, all these things the guy didnt mention on ebay or on the phone. I managed to knock off £300. Took the car then for a test drive, the car drove ok but the aircon wasnt working, although he said on ebay that it blows cold air but it needs regassing. It then turned out to be that the aircon system is blocked! At that stage I was about to loose my temper with him.
I then just wanted to get my refund back as the car wasnt worth it. To make things worst he wouldnt even refund me cash, I had to look for an internet shop for him to refund me through paypal. We found one but didnt find a parking place, so he parked far away and we had to walk a bit (it was quite hot). It turned out to be that the internet cafe shop was full and eventually he gave up and gave me my deposit back. Oh, the car had no spare wheel, and one of the tyres had a crack on the side... oh dear, it was just a nightmare. I spent £220 just for the travel today (more than 8 hours on the train) and then another £30 to take the misses out for dinner just to make up to her, as the car was suppose to be for her.

I just dont understand why people lie, why do people do these nasty things!

pitslayer
12-08-2007, 01:43 AM
wow soundsa right shed lol, with that many problems it just aint worth. if your looking for a galant thow, ive got mine up in classifieds and down the road in newport aswell

MGV6
12-08-2007, 07:23 AM
You paid him a deposit without seeing the car first?

My mate did that once and he regretted it because it turned out the car wasn't right and he lost out on £200. In your case, you were lucky he refunded you but I would never pay anyone deposit without seeing the car first.

Had a terriable experince today with a Galant that was on ebay. Am sure some of you have seen it, its a black Y reg with LPG. From the description on ebay the guy seemed to be honest as he has pointed out the bad points on the car. I spoke to him for more than half an hour over the phone and tried to get as much details as I can. We made a deal over the phone and I paid him deposit through paypal. Took the train today with the misses all the way from Cardiff to Sheffield. The guy was kind enough to pick us up from the train station. However, I was shocked when I saw the car. The bodywork was terriable and anyone can tell that the car has been in an accident. The front bumper, wings and bonnet all where faded. Had a look underneath the car, a number of the bumper pins and screws werent connected to the body. From the rear side, one can see that there is a gap between the bumper and the body. The boot lid itself had a different key to open it. Anyway, all these things the guy didnt mention on ebay or on the phone. I managed to knock off £300. Took the car then for a test drive, the car drove ok but the aircon wasnt working, although he said on ebay that it blows cold air but it needs regassing. It then turned out to be that the aircon system is blocked! At that stage I was about to loose my temper with him.
I then just wanted to get my refund back as the car wasnt worth it. To make things worst he wouldnt even refund me cash, I had to look for an internet shop for him to refund me through paypal. We found one but didnt find a parking place, so he parked far away and we had to walk a bit (it was quite hot). It turned out to be that the internet cafe shop was full and eventually he gave up and gave me my deposit back. Oh, the car had no spare wheel, and one of the tyres had a crack on the side... oh dear, it was just a nightmare. I spent £220 just for the travel today (more than 8 hours on the train) and then another £30 to take the misses out for dinner just to make up to her, as the car was suppose to be for her.

I just dont understand why people lie, why do people do these nasty things!

KHK
12-08-2007, 07:34 AM
did u ask the owner to send you uptodate photos before anything?
may possibly avoid a lot of troubles with clear enough photos

how much did he ask for?

ritch_w
12-08-2007, 08:26 AM
post up the ebay link so others can avoid it too!

White Lightning
12-08-2007, 09:58 AM
Sounds like a case of a lesson learnt there ... sounds like you did the right thing by walking away though ...

TAR
12-08-2007, 12:42 PM
The trouble with ebay is that its a place for people to get rid of their crap. With an auction, its up to the buyer to ask for info so an unscrupulous seller wouldn't disclose any faults unless specifically asked. I wouldn't ever consider buying something which required a deposit up front, especially from ebay.

I'm sorry that you got stung and I hope you find a good car soon.

Nick VR4
12-08-2007, 01:03 PM
Unlucky mate thats why I dont touch ebay I know its only a minority that pi$$ people about

Hopefully you can find a decent one near you

ANTHONY
12-08-2007, 02:24 PM
i advertised my Sport on ebay but sold it through auto trader and also my legnum was advertised on ebay but i got it in a private sale through the club.
So not all cars are CRAP you just have to be careful

Eurospec
12-08-2007, 03:24 PM
Sorry you had a bad experiance on there mate. Some git nailed me for £900 or so ages ago now, but i havent forgotten about it!

I have bought and sold cars on ebay. Hopefully my ghey-lant which went to a Mo's cousin i think, was accurately described; ie it was a shed and it said it was a shed!

I have bought 4 cars so far on there, and so far nothing horrendous.

Cheers,

Ben.

Zaid
12-08-2007, 06:04 PM
wow soundsa right shed lol, with that many problems it just aint worth. if your looking for a galant thow, ive got mine up in classifieds and down the road in newport aswell

Thanks pitslayer, the misses is very picky and she wants a newish Galant with LPG, she also wants the seats to be beige tan leather, and tinted windows as she had seen one in the past and wanted a similar one.

Zaid
12-08-2007, 06:06 PM
You paid him a deposit without seeing the car first?

My mate did that once and he regretted it because it turned out the car wasn't right and he lost out on £200. In your case, you were lucky he refunded you but I would never pay anyone deposit without seeing the car first.

I guess it just fair that he refunds me, as he didnt mention all those down bits on ebay. I just dont know how do these people think! he basically just wasted my time and his! I just cant get over it!!!

Zaid
12-08-2007, 06:08 PM
did u ask the owner to send you uptodate photos before anything?
may possibly avoid a lot of troubles with clear enough photos

how much did he ask for?

Well no i didnt ask for extra photos, but i did ask him about the bodywork and many other things, but he just turned to be a damn lier.

He was asking for £2800.

Zaid
12-08-2007, 06:19 PM
In the past I did by from ebay, most of them where ok, especially my recent 52 reg Galant. Therefore I have 2 Galants now, but was hoping to have the third for the misses.

One bad experince in the past as well with ebay; bought an Accord from Manchester. All though the seller was saying that nothing was wrong with the car, as soon as I got on the motorway, the petrol needle was dropping quickly, costed me about £100 for a 180mile journey. Anyway got it sorted out later on.

By all means, I do sometimes prefer ebay because it gives the seller a chance to describe the car spacewise more than autotrader. Also when one is looking for a unique car like a Galant, its usually quite hard to find one locally.

Anyway I have learnt my lesson for now and am going to give myself a break from ebay and look elsewhere.

Mark 4
12-08-2007, 11:07 PM
PEOPLE

Please do not commit to buying something as expensive as a car without having seen it and driven it. OTHER people will tell you lies in order to extract money from you. The way to buy something - as most of us know - is to go look, touch, feel, taste, smell, THINK, value for money ? Yes - then buy. No _ then don't.
T'internet is no place to buy cars.

/pan /pan /pan