PDA

View Full Version : Wheels, tyres and suspension

chriswsurf
12-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Hi guys. I need some advice. Ive got a 1996 VR4 Legnum, and am looking to get new wheels for it. Now, the ride at the moment is comfortable, and it doesnt ground or scrub fully loaded. If i get a set of 17/18s, without lowering it, will it look like its on stilts?? Has anyone done this?? Also, what about wheel offset, and how much to lower it?? Any help, or photos would be great!!

Thanks guys.
Chris

bradc
12-08-2007, 08:50 PM
The front of it will look a wee bit high, have a look at Nick Mann's car, he has 235/45/17 tyres on EVO 7 wheels and has stock suspension.

Normally an offset of about 35-38mm is best to give the car an aggresive stance and to clear the suspension + car body

djb160
13-08-2007, 06:18 AM
yeah the car looks ridiculous at the front with stock suspension, at least needs some springs. On the upside it transforms the cars side view with a bit of lowering

Nick Mann
13-08-2007, 05:38 PM
First post as a full member! You join a very small and elite group on the forums there. /Welcome

As said - they don't help the car look low. Bu IMO they straight away look better then the stock 16s and you feel like the car is sat more firmly on the road. The steering wheel has a more positive action and the change of direction is sharper. I have only had rubbing once, when carrying five adults rapidly down an undulating country lane. This is on standard suspension.

I have ordered some adjustable suspension, but I don't expect to be running it at a low setting - although maybe a tad lower than stock. I am hoping it will be a tad stiffer too.

Bear in mind my Evo 7 rims are 8" wide and the rubbing occurred on 235 wide tyres. I am now running 225 wide and have never had rubbing issues with them.