PDA

View Full Version : spots of paint

Paul C
13-08-2007, 04:48 PM
hi,the girlfriends car has black spots of paint on it(the car is silver). they are only small dots to be honest about 2-3mm across.Any ideas on what could be used to remove them. Would t-cut help?

WildCards
13-08-2007, 05:32 PM
You sure they're not tar spots, from new or hot road surfaces?

Anywhoo, decent polish should remove it along with a little elbow grease. Try Meguires paint cleaner, i've used it on tar before with great success.

I-S
13-08-2007, 05:57 PM
Like Steve says... Tar spots are most likely. Autoglym do a tar remover which is a thin solvent which disolves tar spots without killing your paint.

My car was covered in little orange paint specs, both on paint and on glass. Glass polish took them off the glass very quickly, and they come off the paint either by putting a bit of elbow grease in with autoglym resin polish, or by letting Kieran loose with the porter cable (more effective and much easier! :D)

Paul C
13-08-2007, 06:47 PM
will see what i can get hold of give it ago.

Alex
13-08-2007, 06:58 PM
If you find an answer to this, let me know. Ariadne has some spots on her which definitely are black paint (as opposed to tar). Kieran's tried all sorts to get them off, but he can't shift them. Personally I reckon I could get them off with my nail quite easily, but K won't let me near it in case I chip the laquer.... cos of course that would look a million times worse than having black spots on the car! :rolleyes4 /STP

Wouter
13-08-2007, 07:15 PM
Get the car resprayed, that'll solve the problem!

AderC
13-08-2007, 07:36 PM
I've found turtlewax bug-and tar-remover wipes get the tar spots off very effectively. Does exactly what it says on the tub!

aDe

TAR
13-08-2007, 08:07 PM
OOH TAR remover, that sounds a little radical dont you think!

Paul Beazer
13-08-2007, 08:56 PM
/haz

Kieran
13-08-2007, 09:57 PM
Personally I reckon I could get them off with my nail quite easily, but K won't let me near it in case I chip the laquer.... cos of course that would look a million times worse than having black spots on the car! :rolleyes4 /STP

:veryangry

You wanna stump up for a respray?! If you do, go ahead and I'll get on the blower to Marcus and Jane! :veryangry :veryangry

Alex
13-08-2007, 10:19 PM
:veryangry

You wanna stump up for a respray?! If you do, go ahead and I'll get on the blower to Marcus and Jane! :veryangry :veryangry

He says, looking for an exuse to through more money at the car.... /pan

Kieran
13-08-2007, 11:52 PM
He says, looking for an exuse to through more money at the car.... /pan

I'll take that as a 'yes' then? :deal2: /Devil5

unclepete
14-08-2007, 10:30 AM
Don't know if this is relevant or not but my white VR4 was molested by some council workers, who now no longer paint the lamp-posts but spray them! Fantastic. As I don't have the car at the moment, I can't do much about it. It could be worth seeing what colour nearby street furniture etc. is. If you need an analysis done - give me a shout - chemical labs such as Intertek can prove whether it is the same paint or not.

Paul Beazer
14-08-2007, 01:44 PM
Pete, RE: your signature. "Thieving bugger" Care to elaborate?

Paul C
14-08-2007, 07:11 PM
Tar remover did the trick.The paint or what ever just dissolved away. Dont think it was tar from the road as it was on the bonnet of a nissan terrano 2.

I-S
14-08-2007, 07:39 PM
Could easily have been - go through a recently resurfaced road (especially with that horrid stuff they use these days where they spray tar down and dump loose chippings on top, and let the cars remove those that don't stick... along with the car's paint) and the car in front flicks up a tarry stone - the stone bounces off but leaves the tar spots.

ANTHONY
14-08-2007, 08:27 PM
proberly just needs more polish

unclepete
15-08-2007, 03:38 PM
Paul,

Bought Beastlee's VR4 the other week after mine was broken down in Holland. Two other folk (I think GGG and someone else) were fighting over it on the forums but I just flew down and bought it! One of them accused me of being a "thieving bugger"!

Perhaps I should remove this now from my signature... The moment has gone.

Pete