PDA

View Full Version : Help - My Leggie won't start

VR4Manna
14-08-2007, 10:06 AM
all I get is a clicking noise when I turn the key in the ignition but the car won't start...(the battery's fine though...) I know it can be a number of things; was just wondering whether somebody has had the same problem....

BraindG
14-08-2007, 10:09 AM
clicking is normally the battery, from experience.. whats the volts on it? do you have a meter?

n13l pm
14-08-2007, 10:14 AM
Yep clicking is normally the battery..

richy rich
14-08-2007, 10:14 AM
If battery ok it could be starter motor.

stuartturbo
14-08-2007, 07:03 PM
is it in P /lol

Alarm
if manual will it bump or get the mallet on the stater ( used that trick many a time on old motors) sometimes gets a bit stick

VR4Manna
16-08-2007, 09:53 AM
Yes it is in "P"...

No its not the battery or the starter motor...

However if i press the accellerator pedal before i turn the key its fine so i think it might be a fueling problem...

But thanks for the help anyway...

Kieran
17-08-2007, 12:31 AM
Hmmmm..... You say just a little throttle and it'll fire....:thinking:

Do you have to keep your foot on the accelerator whilst you start it, or is it enough to 'jab' the accelerator, then release it before you start?

I'm wondering if it's worth checking your throttle position sensor...

The Vee
17-08-2007, 04:46 AM
It could be a bad earth from engine to Chassis / Batt. It maybe when pressing throttle that earth travels via throttle cable. If so, not good as it will also be earthing via smaller cables . These will get hot (I've had a throttle cable sieze in it's sleeve due to this). Check the cable which is located on one of the bell housing bolts and runs to the chassis or battery neg terminal(I forget which at this time in the morning!!) It may even be both.

serenity88
17-08-2007, 08:46 AM
Hi,
I'm assuming that by leggie/Grrr , you mean legacy as in subaru? I know what to do if this is the case!

First remove the battery, then ring a tow company, have then tow the car to the nearest wrecker. They should give you around 200 dollars for it. Go out and scrimp, steal, save and borrow as much as you can, when you've done this find another 8th Gen. vr4 and buy it!/rally

get the battery and frame it, cause it's a keeper! (after all if it wasn't for the bat. you'd still be driving a second class automobile!)

If you want to keep the car then get a new starter or the the solenoid looked at! Cause clicking asides from bat prob's, means the arm's sticking! As others have said, the earth or starter feed might be bad. a sticky armature (which is caused by not enough grunt,ie bad earth stuffed solenoid) is the most common cause. I usually tap the starter with a hammer(who doesn't?), if that causes it to actuate, pull it out and do something with it

VR4Manna
20-08-2007, 10:42 PM
Hi,
I'm assuming that by leggie/Grrr , you mean legacy as in subaru?

Never assum anything! Just to put your mind at rest it is a Legnum VR4....

Thanks for the advice though....

serenity88
21-08-2007, 10:53 AM
oops!!! (hugh embarrasment)
Sorry to insult your fine piece of enginering, by calling it a legacy!

Kieran
21-08-2007, 10:54 AM

Do you have to keep your foot on the accelerator whilst you start it, or is it enough to 'jab' the accelerator, then release it before you start?

Did you try this at all?

VR4Manna
21-08-2007, 09:43 PM

It is enough to 'jab' it....

Haven't tried it yet but is on my 'list of things to try' on the weekend.....

AderC
22-08-2007, 12:35 PM
Have you tried starting it in N rather than P? Mine very occasionally refuses to start in P but then starts fine in N or if I move out of P and back in again. Worth a try.

aDe

MPBVr4
22-08-2007, 02:51 PM
Have you tried starting it in N rather than P? Mine very occasionally refuses to start in P but then starts fine in N or if I move out of P and back in again. Worth a try.

aDe

I've read about this somewhere. The electrical contact under the selector lever needs cleaning. Don't know how to get at it though:inquisiti

psbarham
22-08-2007, 02:59 PM
berns hearse had a problem with the selector qaudrant before , have a search .

here you go because i'm feeling generous
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12259&highlight=selector