PDA

View Full Version : Another tyre question

valleyforge1
14-08-2007, 06:19 PM
Car had MOT last week and passed:happy: Put it threw service today and it went ok with I think just the usual stuff like change oil ,new air filter plugs etc.Was happy with that and the guy just give me a couple of advices like get the pads changed in 6 months as they where ok till then and get
two new tyres in 2 months (I did tell him how many miles I do a year):scholar:
At the moment iam on TORNADO ALPHAS 215/45ZR17 91W. I do a mix of A road and motorway.The ones I have are not to bad on the road noise but I just thought some one could shed a little more light on the situation and come up with some good recomendations

I-S
14-08-2007, 06:59 PM
Just looking up on your size...

Tyres that size are expensive for decent ones. I think my two choices, depending on what characteristics you're looking for, would be Goodyear Eagle F1 for best grip, or Goodyear Excellence for quieter, more comfortable ride and higher mileage.

Zaid
14-08-2007, 07:34 PM
I do have Goodyear Eagle on mine, and I am really thnking of changing them as they are really noisy! quite anoyying!

ANTHONY
14-08-2007, 08:12 PM
i had yoko's on my sport i was very happy with them

valleyforge1
14-08-2007, 10:32 PM
Dont know is this ok

YOKOHAMAS 215/45 R17 [91W] £81-08 incl fitting etc

KiwiTT
14-08-2007, 10:36 PM
I do have Goodyear Eagle on mine, and I am really thnking of changing them as they are really noisy! quite anoyying!Ignore the noise. You will be glad you have them in the wet. I do:scholar:

djb160
15-08-2007, 12:55 AM
and change the tyres before you legally have to. Coupled with near dead pads might make for an interesting experience at the wrong moment.

Rambaud
15-08-2007, 08:30 AM
Tyres that size are expensive for decent ones. I think my two choices, depending on what characteristics you're looking for, would be Goodyear Eagle F1 for best grip, or Goodyear Excellence for quieter, more comfortable ride and higher mileage.

I can confirm that the Goodyear Excellence are quieter than my prvious tyres - cannot comment on longevity, as they have done less than 1000 miles so far.

Also, they seemed to have good grip while driving 300 miles in yesterday's rain.

WildCards
15-08-2007, 10:26 AM
In my experience;

GSD3's - Alright in the wet and good in the dry
T1-R's - not as good as GSD3's in the wet, but alot better in the dry
P6000's - Alright everywhere, nothing spectacular
Hydragrips (which i've currently got) - Amazing in the wet, but lose grip easily in the dry.

I-S
15-08-2007, 12:38 PM
I had P6000s on my GLS - never spectacular in any respect. I changed them for el cheap Kumho KH15s and got better grip (esp in wet), lower noise and so on. However, the Excellence piss all over the P6000s and KH15s from a great height.

Goodyear's own comparative ratings:

. . . . . . . . . . . Eagle F1. . . Excellence. . . . .Hydragrip
Comfort. . . . . . .4. . . . . . . . . . .5. . . . . . . . . . . 3
Dry. . . . . . . . . . .5. . . . . . . . . . .4. . . . . . . . . . .4
Wet. . . . . . . . . . .4. . . . . . . . . . 4. . . . . . . . . . .5
Mileage. . . . . . . .4. . . . . . . . . . 5 . . . . . . . . . . 4
Speed. . . . . . . . .5. . . . . . . . . . .4. . . . . . . . . . .4

White Lightning
15-08-2007, 02:42 PM
What about Falken FK-452s? Currently £65.70 each on mytyres.co.uk. I've used these for a while now and they are very good in both wet and dry conditions and were excellent on our recent 'Ring visit ... /rally

g6acb
15-08-2007, 07:43 PM
I have just gone through this with my car, MOT advisory last month that all 4 are shot :thinking:

camskill.co.uk are pretty competitive on prices for tyre's at the moment if you have a local garage happy to fit tyres they have not supplied

I have just picked up my 3rd set of Falken ZE512 ZEIX for 50 quid a corner .... if I hadn't just picked up a nail in on of my rears (that allready had a nail in) I would have gone with Toyo T1R's or Proxes 4 from camskill but I can't wait for delivery....

The worst tyres I have ever experienced on the Galant were Yoko 539's (totally allergic to rain) closley followed by Pirelli p6000's which I think just don't suit Galants for some reason

The Falken 512's are pretty good - considering the price, with decent shoulders which the Galant seems to munch at, particulary on the rear.

As I dont track my car and it is a long way behind VR4's in performance I have never felt the need for the more expensive options like the Goodyears - especially as the Mileage I do means I change them every 6/7 months anyway...... I would rather spend the extra money on a decent 4 wheel aligbment

valleyforge1
15-08-2007, 08:59 PM
Checked out camskill performance and also alloy wheel.com.
White lightning.... might have wrong one hear Falken FK452 87Y 2154517ZRFALKEN £24.18 WITH VAT
g6acb...... checked out camskill and they have got some good deals on tyres and a few other things cheers
Isaac.... the excellence sounds good. I think iam bending towards then for all round performance
Rambaud....Ditto
Cheers everyone else.Thanks for your time and advice ill post up later

peterbredde
18-08-2007, 08:18 PM
Hi there, just one comment to add. When I changed the tyres on my 2.5 V6 at first i used Goodyears but they made an awful lot of road noise, so I changed back to Dunlop SP9000 - problem sorted but a couple of hunrdred quid worse off though