PDA

View Full Version : Tracktor Mowers...

bernmc
15-08-2007, 02:42 PM
Where's that yokel PSB?

Could kick myself - not long bought a shiny new mower for a fair few pesatas, and now I need something a LOT bigger. 1.2 acre rabbit-infested field at the bottom of my garden needs cutting, so I'm on the lookout for a tractor mower.

Don't have the faintest clue about the bloody things, can't afford the several thousand pounds that they seem to go for, and seem to be going around in circles trying to find something suitable.

Anyone got/had one, and can advise me? Any good sources for 2nd hand - people seem to pay silly money on fleabay. Or new ones with an interest-free credit option...?

The ability to suck bunnies out of their burrows and take their furry little heads off considered a bonus...

White Lightning
15-08-2007, 02:44 PM
How about some cows?

bernmc
15-08-2007, 02:47 PM
How about some cows?

How ungreen! Don't you know how much green house gas those filthy bastards fart out every day????!!!!!

MPBVr4
15-08-2007, 03:20 PM
You can pick up old Westwood 1200 ride on machines with collector for between
£300 - £400. Very solid if rather crude with reliable Briggs & Stratton engine.

bernmc
15-08-2007, 03:44 PM
You can pick up old Westwood 1200 ride on machines with collector for between
£300 - £400. Very solid if rather crude with reliable Briggs & Stratton engine.

Problem with these is you're limited to them being nearby unless you've got transport. One on ebay at the moment about a mile from where I live, and it's at over £700 at the moment! Further down south and I've seen a couple go for the lower prices. Things are supposed to be cheaper oop North!

MPBVr4
15-08-2007, 03:55 PM
Problem with these is you're limited to them being nearby unless you've got transport. One on ebay at the moment about a mile from where I live, and it's at over £700 at the moment! Further down south and I've seen a couple go for the lower prices. Things are supposed to be cheaper oop North!

More money down here, all the up and coming city types have traded up to new
machines hence plenty of second hand machinery. /pan

Transport is problem I hired a tail lift truck when I bought bought mine. Now got a "Stiga" excellent machine but not so good for paddock grass.

WildCards
15-08-2007, 04:33 PM
I've got a trailor you can have for a beer!

bernmc
15-08-2007, 04:51 PM
I've got a trailor you can have for a beer!

How about something to tow it with...? ;)

And would you do it if I gave you a go on my new sheep?

bradc
15-08-2007, 08:47 PM
Bern, the answer is simple. Buy some sheep. They will keep your grass low and if you're feeling a little bit frisky...

psbarham
15-08-2007, 10:18 PM
the choices are limitless , but a ransomes cylinder if you want it kept short and tidy but cutting it every week , of for the 'it can wait 'til next month' way of gardening then a rotary mower will be best , but for reliability a diesel one will be best but cost a lot more , whereas a petrol one will be cheaper but invariably they come with a briggs and stratton engine , or as they are known in the trade as briggs and scrapem due to the reliability once they get a bit older . i have some links to traders i will dig out for you tomorrow (just done 14hrs. straight /Grrr ), one of which is near you and deals in 2nd hand stuff

seeing as I'm too good to you

http://www.hughiewillett.co.uk/acatalog/Mowers.html

I've used them before and they are very good , the stock is constantly moving so just ask and they may well know where one is to suit

bernmc
16-08-2007, 06:00 PM
ta mate. on my way to work, so I'll have a look.

That dodgy geezer Wouter is looking at having something stolen to order too...

psbarham
16-08-2007, 07:50 PM
if i was you i would wait 'til winter time to hunt down a trade in bargin , something like a kubota G17 would be perfect , very very reliable and cheap to run , yes it'll be more than a grand but you will never have to buy another one as long as you look after this one , in the mean time find a freindly farmer with a trailed topper mower or a grounds maintence company , for that size i would say about 50 quid to cut , and tbh it'll only need 3 or 4 more cuts this yr

bernmc
17-08-2007, 08:17 AM
Argh! Another spanner then! Kubota... must look at them. Waiting to hear from Wouter who may have a cheap and nasty.

Also, my neighbour said she'd be prepared to share a mower and pay half so that makes things a bit easier.
Had been thinking along the lines of this thing - Al-Ko (http://www.gpdltdtest.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=8039). Same make as my current mower, Honda V-twin. About £2150 new.

What do you think of this G17: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140148571657 ?

Wouter
17-08-2007, 03:02 PM
I've reminded my colleague who will get round to sending you the pics soon he says.

bernmc
17-08-2007, 04:34 PM
mmm... think that G17 on fleabay is a scam. Got a very odd email in response offering to deliver from liverpool to lichfield for free, and asking for all my details... and £850 seems very cheap...!

psbarham
17-08-2007, 05:03 PM
What do you think of this G17: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140148571657 ?

looks ok , apart from one thing , the collection system is hopeless , ok if you cut twice a week when its dry , but if its long or damp then they just clog up , and if you take it off you end up with a side discharge deck which works ok , but you end up with big long lines of clippings up and down the feild , a rear discharge is best , as for the dodgy replies then what do you expect he's from liverpool /pan tbh though there is a company round there that buys ex lease (councils golf courses etc)grounds maintence stuff and is quite reliable

bradc
17-08-2007, 09:04 PM
you really do know your mowers!

I have an avant 220 which is awesome :D

psbarham
17-08-2007, 09:17 PM
you really do know your mowers!

5 yrs in the grounds maintence buisness i should do, who wants a leson in chainsaws ??

bernmc
29-08-2007, 06:23 PM
Well, I got this one (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160146836814&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=006)in the end. Should keep me going while I keep an eye out for a Kubota.

Pleased with it so far - got through my field on Sunday without much fuss. Some of the vegitation was up to my shoulder as I puttered through it. Swallowed about 5l of petrol though.

Not fast enough to catch bunnies though :|. We'll have to see what we can do about that. The little currs were running rings around me :veryangry!

One of my neighbours has offered to share the cost with me - going to speak to the other, so may be able to split things three ways, which will be a bonus.

psbarham
29-08-2007, 08:04 PM
Well, I got this one (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160146836814&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=006)in the end. Should keep me going while I keep an eye out for a Kubota.

Pleased with it so far - got through my field on Sunday without much fuss. Some of the vegitation was up to my shoulder as I puttered through it. Swallowed about 5l of petrol though.

Not fast enough to catch bunnies though :|. We'll have to see what we can do about that. The little currs were running rings around me :veryangry!

One of my neighbours has offered to share the cost with me - going to speak to the other, so may be able to split things three ways, which will be a bonus.

sweet , if its good enough for Ross Brawn then it'll be good enough for you , the collection system on those it very good on short stuff , and leaves cracking stripes as well. good choice

bernmc
30-08-2007, 08:18 AM
Si.

Now, I've noticed that the next model up has the same Briggs & Scrap'em Vanguard V-twin, same displacement (480cc), but develops an extra 2HP and 1.5NM of torque (we're talking big figures here!). Suggests to me that it's something simple - maybe a different exhaust setup. Possibly cams, although peak power is still at 3600rpm, peak torque is 100rpm lower :inquisiti

Something for the weekend sir...?

psbarham
30-08-2007, 09:23 AM
Si.

Now, I've noticed that the next model up has the same Briggs & Scrap'em Vanguard V-twin, same displacement (480cc), but develops an extra 2HP and 1.5NM of torque (we're talking big figures here!). Suggests to me that it's something simple - maybe a different exhaust setup. Possibly cams, although peak power is still at 3600rpm, peak torque is 100rpm lower :inquisiti

Something for the weekend sir...?

i'm sure we can work something out , hang on what about a single turbo setup , use a standard vr4 one or a fish pond pump , they both flow about the same /pan i reckon you'd get an easy 60 horse power, breifly/duh