PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky suspension! HELP!

philipknowles
16-08-2007, 03:02 AM
Hi All,

This is my first post. I'm a new VR4 legnum owner, got a 98 manual with about 100k on it. When I first took delivery everything was sweet, but about a month later the front suspension has developed a loud squeaking when I turn left or when straightening the wheel from a right turn. :(

Does anyone know what might be causing it? I figured at first it was a worn strut, (I had a GT subi which sounded the same, but without the turning squeak) but it seems to be related to the powersteering rack??

Any thoughts?!

HELP!

psbarham
16-08-2007, 06:49 AM
bottom ball joint , mine used to do it , there is a recall from mitsu about just that problem so it won't cost you anything, dunno whether yours is eligable though

Wouter
16-08-2007, 07:23 AM
Hi and Welcome,

You can use
http://recall.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/Recall/resultrecallstatus.do

to check your recall status, it's all in Japanese but you can use

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish

to translate it.

If you don't get anywhere with it, then post up your chassis number and I'll check it for you.

Nick Mann
16-08-2007, 02:04 PM
I agree with PSB.

It's a low squeak and if you steer slowly whilst at standtill, almost a graunchy sound? If so then I'd put money on the ball joint. And as PSB and Wouter have pointed out, the ball joints were subject to a recall. If your car has not already been done, you are entitled to free care from Mitsubishi!

philipknowles
16-08-2007, 11:02 PM
I knew someone would know!!! You guys rock, cheers for the tips!

philipknowles
16-08-2007, 11:09 PM
Well I rang mitsi and they've said the recall was ages ago and it's not covered anymore... About $300-$350 to fix bugger it. Still though, could be worse!

psbarham
17-08-2007, 05:09 PM
Well I rang mitsi and they've said the recall was ages ago and it's not covered anymore... About $300-$350 to fix bugger it. Still though, could be worse!
tell them bollox , its a known and admited saftey issue with their cars and as such they have a responsibility to repair it , if that doesn't work contact citizens advice or trading standards . it sounds like the dealer is trying to get out of it /pan