PDA

View Full Version : Remap - Piggyback - Standalone or EBC

djdime
17-08-2007, 04:23 PM
Reet - im already thinking of doing what i promised myself AND my fiance what i wouldnt do. MOD the legnum!!!!

Just a couple of quick questions for you gents

1) can you remap the standard ECU

2) What are the piggyback ECU's like? and can they themselves be mapped? or are they already loaded with more aggressive maps?

3) what make standalones are good? is it your omex's etc?

4) Or is the cheap option of an ebc a good one?

Obviously im assuming as i have already got a filter that the exhaust would naturally be next mod on the list.
/rally

Wodjno
17-08-2007, 04:39 PM
Reet - im already thinking of doing what i promised myself AND my fiance what i wouldnt do. MOD the legnum!!!!

Just a couple of quick questions for you gents

1) can you remap the standard ECU

2) What are the piggyback ECU's like? and can they themselves be mapped? or are they already loaded with more aggressive maps?

3) what make standalones are good? is it your omex's etc?

4) Or is the cheap option of an ebc a good one?

Obviously im assuming as i have already got a filter that the exhaust would naturally be next mod on the list.
/rally

If it's a Cone filter you have with no cold air box ? Your cheapest option for more power is to put it back to the standard airbox /yes

Next is a good EBC /yes

I think it has been said that the standard ECU can be flashed, but not to sure ?

Next would be fuelling via a Piggy back ECU or Fuel Controller ! Depending on how far you want to go with the tuning ? But also a Wideband Lambda controller would be an good option along side either of these.

Next is a standalone ECU.. !! The skys the limit !! How much money have you got :D

White Lightning
17-08-2007, 04:47 PM
Personally, I would sort the exhaust out before going for an EBC.

Are you running standard brakes?

Wodjno
17-08-2007, 05:16 PM
Personally, I would sort the exhaust out before going for an EBC.

Are you running standard brakes?

Nothing wrong with the standard exhaust !

You won't get much gain from changing the exhaust on standard boost :speechles

Once you have a Lekky Boost controller, then it will make some difference /yes

De-cat will suffice :)

Obviously a sorted Zorst will give better results in the Latter stages of Upping the power, but won't be much of a kick in the tail, for the amount of Wonga thats going to be spent :scholar:

Kieran
17-08-2007, 06:38 PM
Nothing wrong with the standard exhaust !

You won't get much gain from changing the exhaust on standard boost :speechles

Oooh, have to disagree with that - albeit you need a decat or a sports cat to get the most gain - I doubt that peak power goes up that much, but they come on chat sooner and have more top end, well mine did anyway!:inquisiti

Nick Mann
17-08-2007, 09:23 PM
Back box and decat make a big difference. Then in order:

1. I believe so, but it only lasts until you turn the ignition off, when it resets to the standard map.

2. How long is a piece of string? I currently have a unichip - great if you set up and then leave it. Rubbish if you change your car a lot or want to play. I am currently saving for a MAP ecu and a wideband sensor, so I can play myself.

3. I don't think standalones are good unless you have a stupid amount of money to basically completely rebuild your engine - turbos, injectors, internals etc. If you are tuning a relatively standard engine with higher boost and a high-flow fuel pump, then piggy back is probably more effective and certainly cheaper.

4. Yes - very good. The standard map seems to cope with 0.8 bar without trouble. You will notice a rather large kick in the back to normal from that! Some even go to 0.9 bar before they start playing with fuelling.

Have fun, and tell us about your journey!

Gowf
17-08-2007, 10:54 PM
It all does depend on how much money you have to spend and what you want out of it. How much power do you want?

Basicaly, cheepest way of getting the power by getting more boost with an EBC (yes you can use a dawes device, but not the recommended way of doing things).
The problem with these cars is that they overfuel like mad, so a fuel controller will also give you some good gains.
As for exhaust, yes it is true that the standard exhaust is restrictive but it is certainly fine if only a small increase in power is wanted, although i do say that cats are bad!
So you can buy things individualy, or you could get a piggyback/standalone to do all of the jobs in one.

To put things in perspective i spoke to GEMS and they said that a bottom line figure for a mapped standalone would be around £2200. But there is no point having a standalone on a 'standardish' car.

There are many products out there, and they all contoll things in a slightly different way. In the fuel computor world for example, you can have ones that work on throttle possition, or on MAP.

This is in no way a plug, but i bought a MAP2(before i worked at Eurospec:infact its how i ended up working there) and they are a good bit of kit. They certainly do give the results,we have had very good result last week with a standard car. (not my place to say what he has acheived).

My advise is work out what you can afford to spend and a target you want to acheive. After that you can decide what to go for, as all of us on here could quite easily spend many of your hard earned pounds for you!

bradc
17-08-2007, 11:32 PM
Autronic SM4 :D

You will get good gains from a new panel filter, exhaust and a boost controller, all fairly cheaply. After that you're looking at an Apexi AFC or MAPECU2

Subaru ETA
18-08-2007, 05:10 AM
im runnig std boost with a 3 inch cat back system. as soon as i did that my boost went from an average of around 8psi to around 11.

if you got a pod filter without a box, bin it and get a high flow (k&n or similar) panel filter then up the boost

Gowf
18-08-2007, 09:06 AM
Autronic SM4 :D

You will get good gains from a new panel filter, exhaust and a boost controller, all fairly cheaply. After that you're looking at an Apexi AFC or MAPECU2

I did mean to mention autronic, a good bit of kit and they make it easy for you to map.
I still think that if your going to the trouble of buying a piggyback, and you dont already have a boost controller, then just use the piggyback for everything. Thats what i shall be doing when i finaly get my car back, and i think there will be some interesting results! I'm not going to let the cat out of the bag yet, but it should be in its first stage of goodness in a few weeks, then it will change dramaticaly over xmas. Brad you will love it!

Axeboy
18-08-2007, 12:33 PM
After spending so much and trying new things if i buy another Vr4 i would do:

1. Decat & Backbox - £100
2. Panel Filter (OEM Airbox) - £40
3. EBC (Probably a HKS one) - £150
4. Apexi SAFC (Huge Difference on my car) - £100
5. Downpipes - £300
6. Intercooler - £300

Then RR tuned - £100

Thats it. I reckon 300ATW with that is easily possible going from my car.

djb160
19-08-2007, 10:53 AM
300 what? Kw or HP

valmes
19-08-2007, 01:37 PM
Just a short note...

1. Exhaust and Downpipes
2. Intercooler
3. Aluminium Intake piping (low and hi pressure pipes)
4. MC clutch set from EVO
5. Oil cooler
6. Bleeder valve
7. Colder plugs and upgraded wires
8. Vented bonnet

Stock turbos, Stock fuel pump, Stock injectors, Stock ECU 0,85 bar of boost and 1/4 mile in 12.873 .... I belive it's the record time for 8th generation Galant/Legnum (no nitrous).

Axeboy
19-08-2007, 04:17 PM
300 what? Kw or HP

Uk car... so that will be HP

Kw? pfft :)

djdime
20-08-2007, 09:56 AM
wow thanks guys - thats alot of decent info there!!

Unfortunately the clowns over in japan stuck and apexi cone on - so im either going to fabricate a cold air box for it, or bin it and try and find the oem box

exhaust next then i think..

some VERY interesting reading here - watch this space

ps you mentioned what i want

my celica was 320 at the fly - if i can get 350/60 at the fly out of the VR4 then i will be very happy -

im thinking probably the most sensible thing to do right now though would be to have a full service done - they say at the garage its done on import but you cant be too careful