PDA

View Full Version : First section welded SS bend

Kenneth
18-08-2007, 07:56 AM
This bend is going to be the throttle body intake bend.

My mate Dave did most of the welding on this one, seeing as it is his gear we did the welding on. As we do more ill probably end up doing a greater proportion of the welding though.

As you can see the welds are very clean with no material going through to the inside of the bend. With a little polishing it'll come up very very well :)

We destroyed a few bits of SS getting the heat correct, but it seems we have it all sorted now.

This bend is done using 30 degree wedges (15degree cuts either side) which lets us get a fairly tight bend. We have also cut quite a few 7.5dergee wedges which will be used for more gentle bends.

Gly
18-08-2007, 08:07 AM
NICE!!!

will look sexy as once youve got the whole setup like that.

MPBVr4
18-08-2007, 04:55 PM
Nice bit of welding. Got a small TIG welder in the workshop but all I can get is
pigeon sh!t and holes and the tunsten probe sticking to the work piece./pan

Kenneth
18-08-2007, 11:36 PM
Nice bit of welding. Got a small TIG welder in the workshop but all I can get is
pigeon sh!t and holes and the tunsten probe sticking to the work piece./pan

Thanks mate.

Yeah, it takes a bit of practice... and the right amperage and the right gas. first attempt we used MIG gas, which isn't pure argon. result was that it burnt the steel.

With 1.6mm SS tube we were using about 30A. not sure of the tungsten size, but we were using 1.2mm 316 welding rods. (not that we used a lot of rod for this project)

Kenneth
18-08-2007, 11:37 PM
NICE!!!

will look sexy as once youve got the whole setup like that.

I am hoping so :) it'll look better once its polished too. will have to fill in a couple of very small holes in the seam first though, cant have it leaking.

Kenneth
22-08-2007, 12:33 AM
hopefully ill be able to get the intercooler piping measured up this weekend. still going to take a month or 2 to get the piping all done though... damn having to work for a living :P

also got a stainless flexi for the exhaust, which means ill get onto fixing that soon too

zentac
22-08-2007, 09:15 AM
nice one, takes an age doesnt it. Im doing the same to mine at the moment