PDA

View Full Version : Bonnet options?

pungatree1
21-08-2007, 09:10 AM
When I bought the vr4 the bonnet suffered from some sun fade up around the passengers side washer spray. This has got worse and appears to be in small blotches across the bonnet. /Grrr I have asked several paint and panel places and they say that the clear coat has broken down and that the only solution is a complete bonnet respray - filtering it into the front wings too.

To make things worse - some dick reversed their 4wd into my bonnet during the first week of ownership and drove away leaving a nice big round dent from their tow bar! /Grrr /Grrr I have spoken to only one panel beater about the dent and they said that it would cost $300 to just knock out the dent - (looks like a pool ball hit it) plus another $200 at least to respray the bonnet. The thought of spending $500+ just to return the car to standard is not that appealing but when the rest of the car is polished the bonnet looks terrible!

So..... I have been thinking about doing something different with the bonnet. I do like the idea of an evo style bonnet but quite a few people have them now. My partner isn't that keen on the OTT look as the car is debadged and doesn't attract too much attention from would-be thieves etc. I am also concerned about water entering the engine bay with all of that mesh - has anyone else had problems? I do fancy the idea of inserting a smaller evo side vent (evo 5 style?) just above the pod filter to help direct air toards the filter but again I am concerned about water entering into the engine bay.

http://www.racepro.co.nz/images/vents/RAC-EVO456SVNT-450-348.jpg

Also will this help much to deliver cold air? I have also looked at this one...

http://www.racepro.co.nz/images/scoops/racscpsidel-540-368.jpg

and still like the idea of one vent but may need two to balance things up? :thinking: ?

What do you guys & girls think as I need to do something soon with the bonnet as it is terrible at the moment! Stuck for more ideas!

djb160
21-08-2007, 11:23 AM
I'm not keen on the evo look, I prefer the ones like BradCs. They're a little more stealth than the Evo style, but not much.

bradc
21-08-2007, 08:58 PM
They are a lot curvier and suit the facelift bumpers a bit better.

I would suggest that it would be easier to buy a whole bonnet for a few hundred dollars and sell the old one on trademe, you might get $50 or so for it.

What colour is it?

pungatree1
22-08-2007, 01:19 AM
Mine is a prefacelift! Thinking that way myself given the total cost of repairing my bonnet! Its purple - trigger mauve - do you still have your original purple bonnet for sale?

bradc
22-08-2007, 06:56 AM
I do yes, it has a couple of stone chips, but no faded spots or anything

pungatree1
22-08-2007, 07:14 AM
I'm really keen on the idea - if you want to sell it! How bad are the stone chips? If they are just the ordinary chips you would expect then that's cool. As long as there are no big dents or faded patches! What sort of price would you be wanting for it? Also is it a prefacelift model and if not will it fit ok onto my 96 wagon? Any chance of sending me some pics? Cheers

orionn2o
22-08-2007, 10:37 AM
Facelift bonnets do fit on prefacelift cars :)

bradc
22-08-2007, 11:14 AM
yeah just ordinary small stone chips plus one scratch near the top of it. I need to get my body kit painted first though, which will still be at least a few months away