PDA

View Full Version : Avgas

FNFAST VR4
21-08-2007, 08:19 PM
My flatmate last night decided to run his mighty telstar on avgas (he can get it from his work for free, and he is hanging out for pay day so more of a budget conscious move as opposed to a performance issue ha ha) and he asked me if I had ever run my car on it, which of course I haven't.

What would it do to my car? I seem to recall something about it being bad if you run it for extended periods or something? Or I may have confused some other topic and be making sh*t up!

Anyone have any experience with this? Of course its all rather irrelevant at this point given that my car is up on jack stands with no gear box attached!!! /haz

Gly
21-08-2007, 08:34 PM
if its leaded av-gas,
then its like the ethanol gas,
it will run, but can break down your gaskets/seals/rubber hoses.

would be nice to have access to 102? octane gas thou.

oh and you cant leagally run leaded av-gas on a street car.
if you get caught you will be fined,
its easy to tell if someone is running av-gas, as the exhaust tip, goes all grey/white instead of the usual black.

you could blend it down (if its leaded)... like 70% 98octane and 30% av-gas, should run fine/nicely like that,
but i would put any move av-gas in than that.

wirdy
22-08-2007, 12:37 AM
Concensus says that AvGas is formulated for a slower flame front (lower rpm), runs alot hotter and is not recommended for car engines........but that's for 100% concentrations.

I used it all the time whilst racing banger cars (50/50) - it don't half make a 1.6 Vauxhall Astra go like stink! (and rev stupidly!).

Presuming you are de-catted of course, if you want to experiment, try 25% Avgas and see how the car performs. The only possibility I can envisage is the lambda sensor becoming contaminated with the white deposit mentioned earlier but this would be after prolonged use.

I've tried various stuff added to shell optimax in my VR4 including toluene and ethanol without any noticeable performance increase in real-world driving- although would give a few extra hp on the rollers. i must admit i haven't tried diluting some avgas in the VR4 - I'll have to get some and have a try.:inquisiti

......what's the worst that could happen, eh? - might wait until after I've changed my cambelt though.

amsoil
22-08-2007, 01:13 AM
There are a number of different types of the stuff out there including 110 octane and 130 octane + some stuff crammed full of lead. I know that 110 low lead diluted with optimax does great in my race car requiring 102.5 octane with 12.5 :1 comp ratio. You do not want customs to check your car on the road with it in though as they will take the car and wack a heavy fine on you. Just like getting caught with red diesel. As with all things in life you pays your money you takes your chance...

FNFAST VR4
22-08-2007, 06:16 AM
I will ask him tonight if he knows what exactly it is. I know he works for a helicopter place of some description...

TAR
22-08-2007, 09:30 AM
Any lead in your fuel will kill your cat!

if you got one :)

serenity88
22-08-2007, 10:10 AM
The guy at the Bp on the main highway just before kumeu sell's it straight out of the pump! around 2.70 a litre or something like that.

some advantages that it could give are, the higher octane rating, lower flash point and a cooler burn, which in theory should give higher boost ability.

Wouldn't have a clue about the specifics of it though. I certainly wouldn't run it at a 100% And would have to be very carefull running at a high boost level it could cause a significant variation to the boost.

mpau009
22-08-2007, 10:38 AM
The guy at the Bp on the main highway just before kumeu sell's it straight out of the pump! around 2.70 a litre or something like that.

some advantages that it could give are, the higher octane rating, lower flash point and a cooler burn, which in theory should give higher boost ability.

Wouldn't have a clue about the specifics of it though. I certainly wouldn't run it at a 100% And would have to be very carefull running at a high boost level it could cause a significant variation to the boost.

/haz
thats just down the road from me, that pump looks hillarious, its just got 'racing fuel' written on a piece of cardboard inside the pump cover:afro:

I must say it did look tempting though:thinking:

serenity88
22-08-2007, 12:17 PM
/haz

It's a hard case looking pump that's for sure, I've always looked at it rather sideway's everytime I've driven past, never been brave enough to actually buy some. Im pretty sure he's only allowed to fill petrol cans, not straight into the tank

FNFAST VR4
22-08-2007, 08:59 PM
Yep, he does exactly what you guys suggested. Mixes it with normal fuel (usually) and gets about 104 octane rating he reckons. He says the telstar is going "real well" at the moment he he.

Might try mixing some up when the car is back together and settled back into normal life he he.