PDA

View Full Version : 3000km - impressions on a n/a V6 Legnum

bradc
24-08-2007, 11:03 AM
Well I've done 3000km in my Legnum ST-R now, only had it since the end of July! I must say that if I had bought a manual 4wd V6 for my first Legnum, I wouldn't have ever bought a VR-4, they are fantastic cars and I'm very impressed with it.

Compared to my auto VR-4 it is almost as quick above 4000rpm, it really pulls hard to 6000rpm, and when starting to accelerate from say 2000rpm you can really feel it start to motor at about 3000rpm. Below 3000rpm though it is a bit dead, and to be honest it suprises me how much extra power the turbos do give you below 3000rpm. I often find myself in 2nd gear at about 2000rpm flooring it and thinking the car is rather sluggish. This just doesn't happen in my VR-4!

The fuel economy is outstanding, most of the english V6's are 2wd which are about 80-100kg lighter, and have a 3.722 final drive compared to my 4.055, despite this I have averaged just over 8l/100km in my travels so far, which have included quite a bit of around town driving, probably near 40%. I've also found that if you trash it, the fuel consumption doesn't seem to change much. This is the opposite of a VR-4 which seems to go through about a litre every time you go over 3000rpm at full throttle!

The ride is good too, it does roll a bit more than a VR-4, and I might fit lowering springs in the front to make it have an even gap at the front and rear, the current 80mm or so is way too much, and that will reduce the roll as well. If VR-4 anti roll bars are fatter than an ST-R's then I might fit the VR-4's ones when I upgrade the VR-4's to aftermarket ones.

I love the sunroofs as well, these are a serious big plus on Legnums, and now I have a fleet of two with sunroofs, I'm very happy with that. Might get the front windows tinted at some point too, the interior is a bit too bright in the day time for me.

I only have one gripe with it, every single Legnum I've had (4 now) has had an annoying rattle or squeak somewhere. This one has a rattle somewhere in the drivers door or lower dash, and sometimes the upper part of the dash around the clock or gauges squeaks. The leather interior from the white VR-4 was definitely worth taking as well, it looks like a real executive car from the outside, and when sitting inside it, the interior is really nice with the leather and big touch screen double din headunit. Just need to get rid of that horrible woodgrain centre console!

thecrazyfish
27-08-2007, 10:06 AM
I have an ST-R as well. I have owned it from january last year and got the cambelt done not too long ago. Mine is an auto, but i drive it in tiptronic mode almost all the time. They are just that bit nicer than an ST i think.

The squeak, yes, seems to be a common legnum thing. mine has it too, somewhere in the lower dash around the steering wheel or speedo area. I just repainted my woodgrain to a charcoal pearl which looks nicer.

I've done 30,000kms in it now.

bradc
27-08-2007, 10:29 AM
Yeah the ST's have 4 stud hubs and a cheaper looking mid grey plastic, while the ST-R's have a dark interior. I do like the Tip gearboxes, I've bought 3 Legnums with them, the reason I didn't get one this time around is that the ST-R will need to do 40000km per year, and the tip boxes aren't as reliable as the manuals. Also they only have 4 forward gears and I find the big differences between the gears are annoying! If the tip boxes had 5 or 6 speeds then I would have got one of them.