PDA

View Full Version : Nurburgring/Nordschleife

chris g
06-01-2004, 10:14 AM
I am returning to my favourite topic - driving at the Ring

Its a new year and new plans for going to Germany to do laps at this fantastic track

I am making plans to visit at Easter for a l-o-n-g weekend Thurs to Tue and hope to visit a few more times during the year but with moving to Lancs from London trips to Ring will be reduced so join us whilst you can

Other cars or passengers for the Easter weekend and future trips would be welcome

If taking your car I will book hotel minutes from the track - reasonable price for hotel and restaurants and bars close by - you book your channel crossing and we usually travel together to the track

If you want to be a passenger you just pay for hotel, food and drink.

I can hopefully pick you up en route to Dover - I usually go down M1/M25 or M6/M1/M25 but could do M25/M4 or perhaps other routes to go thru some of London to do a pick up if not too difficult to find

Castle Combe may be an OK place to drive around but at the Ring you really get a chance to stretch the legs and handling of the VR-4

So come on, visit a place where the VR-4 can really fly

Chris Griffiths
07946 086 440
cg210100@talk21.com

zedy1
06-01-2004, 11:11 PM
long time no hear chris what you been upto.

Spirit
06-01-2004, 11:38 PM
Chris - a CVR4 visit to the "Ring" was to be discussed if the I-O-M trip fell through. Is there any way you can give us an idea of costs involved - e.g. ferry crossing, petrol, hotels etc so we can get some banter going on the subject.

Cheers
Pete

chris g
07-01-2004, 12:39 AM
Cost of Ring trip:
Petrol to Dover - from wherever you live - about 300mls for me
Plus channel crossing - usually to Calais with SeaCat but used Sea France
I need short trip pref but ferry OK if channel not too rough
price of channel crossing depends on deal you get - advance booking or spotting special offers - IIRC 2003 ranged from £95 ish to £160ish
Cost depends on the deal AND the length of stay
Fri-Mon cheaper than l-o-n-g w/e as at Easter and some other trips we have done
YOU BOOK FERRY
We try to meet at Dover but can meet at Calais or Service area en route
I act as guide and can give route details
We have taken PMR 446 for car to car talk to keep group together or in case of problems
Petrol to Nurburg - 270 mls approx
Hotel - 2003 price IIRC 45 euros pppn b & b - minutes from track
I USUALLY BOOK HOTEL - money may be needed up front
There are cheaper and more expensive hotels - I can help with booking then but we use Motorsport Hotel - convenient good quality and VFM
Plus your food and drink
Plus your fuel for track - each lap 20.8 kms - and fuel driving around area
Plus your track tickets - approx £7 per lap - 6 or 12 lap tickets cheaper per lap
Plus your cost of euro breakdown cover
Plus your cost of cash in pocket to cover track recovery in case of breakdown or accident
Plus your cash in pocket for fine in case caught speeding in Belguim/? other countries

Cost of experience lapping Ring:-) PRICELESS

Come along as a passenger if you are uncertain of driving at Ring or cost prohibitive

Spirit
07-01-2004, 07:58 AM
So around £500 + food/drink I estimate for me for a three day hotel stay. Thats not bad. Right who else would be interested ?

chris g
07-01-2004, 11:04 AM
Best time for a visit to Ring is when track is open Fri afternoon and evening
Usually 1400-1500 to 1930
And then open ALL day Sat and ALL day Sun 0800 to 1930
Sometimes a later start and an earlier finish on every day but only by 30mins
The w/e when these opening times are available are as yet not known
Published late Jan or early Feb hopefully but def during Feb
Probable dates when track should be open as above wil be when other events on at the GP F1 circuit - and possible dates are:
7 to 9 May
18-20 June
25-27 June
9-11 July
30 July to 1 Aug
6-8 Aug
27-29 Aug

But these dates and opening times to be confirmed and others dates may be available
Also the opening times at the possible full w/e's may be more limited than I have suggested and one of the w/e days may actually be unavailable even when events are taking place on GP F1 circuit

And a final warning the dates are liable to change at short notice due to Ring authorities booking track for testing by car/tyre manufacturers and magazines

But I have yet to have such a cancellation of w/e dates over last few years - more likely perhaps for midweek dates

An alternative for a quiter time on track as w/e's can be the busier times, is to go Sat, hopefully track is open that day and Sun but also open on the Mon, usually in the afternoon and quieter and then come home on the Tues - not a bad visit perhaps for first timers

Simon
07-01-2004, 06:25 PM
I would be interested in a Club visit especially with a "Guide" such as Chris. I think thats a good idea rather than going on your own. My criteria is that it has to be far enough away from any other club meets/events to allow time to save up.

Kieran
07-01-2004, 06:31 PM
I concur with Simon on this. That's a lot of readies.

But a fleet of Galants crossing europe! Now how good would that be?

chris g
07-01-2004, 07:53 PM
Update on costs - 2003 prices

1 lap ticket - 7 euros
5 lap ticket - 56 euros - only available at track and for that day only

6 lap ticket - 76 euros
12 lap ticket - 143 euros
Both available at some petrol stations and valid 1 year

Jahreskarte - unlimited laps - 700 euros - valid 1 year

Spirit
07-01-2004, 08:18 PM
Chris - is that right ?

1 lap = 7 euros so 5 single laps = 35 euros, yet a 5 lap ticket is 56 euros ? etc

chris g
07-01-2004, 08:42 PM
NO!

Sorry

Updated update on 2003 prices

1 lap ticket - 14 euros
5 lap ticket - 56 euros - only available at track and for that day only

6 lap ticket - 76 euros
12 lap ticket - 143 euros
Both available at some petrol stations and valid 1 year

Jahreskarte - unlimited laps - 700 euros - valid 1 year

chris g
05-02-2004, 11:41 AM
Right, def dates for full w/e opening at the Ring:

27-28 Mar - combine this with a day lapping F1 track on the Fri which is
is organised by a German car club

8-12 April - The l-o-n-g Easter w/e - Thurs to Tue - my first 2004 visit and I have arranged cheap ferry for three cars - £124 each return

26-27 June

31 Jul-1 Aug

7-8 Aug - ? combine this with a 2 day visit to Spa F1 track on 5-6 Aug

14-15 Aug

18-19 Sept - ? combine this with 2 days at Spa F1 track on 20-21 Sept

After Easter I may be visiting Ring x2 - one visit to coincide with track time at Spa - date of visit undecided plus one other visit

I also hope to have track time 17-18 July at Le Mans on Bugatti Circuit - used by GP bikes and inc part of main track (home straight past the pits then under Dunlop Bridge)

So summer visit to Ring may fit around the poss Le Mans visit

Also confirmed prices for Ring tkts:
1 lap - 14e
5 laps - 56e - only sold at track
6 laps - 76e
12 laps - 143e
Season tkt - 700e - unlimited laps

Join us? - on the greatest track in the world!

Simon
05-02-2004, 07:05 PM
:drunk:

Mirko
29-02-2004, 10:46 PM
Good news!

You plan to come to the our "ring"? That´s great!
I´ll watch out this thread to see when you´re go to the Nürburgring. I´m sure many Mitsubishi-enthusiasts from Germany wants to see your VR4´s in action!
Of corse me too!

OK, see you!

Spirit
29-02-2004, 11:21 PM
So how many Galants can you get together out there Mirko - would be a great cruise !

Mirko
01-03-2004, 09:24 PM
Hello!

In our german Mitsubishi Power Board there are 95 Galant (74 EA0, 11 E50 and 10 E30) from all over Germany and Austria.
When you know the date of your Nürburgring trip, please tell me, and I´ll see how many Galants I can get together.
Maybe your trip to Germany is at the same time as one ouf our big Mitsubishi meetings?

chris g
02-03-2004, 11:50 AM
Mirko

You have a PM

I will almost certainly be the only VR-4 at the Ring at Easter

The rest of them are staying in UK talking about more boost, power output and 0-60 times rather than enjoying the VR-4 on the greatest track in the world

I hope to visit the Ring a couple more times during 2004

I will send you a message when I know other dates that I am visiting the Ring

Perhaps you could let me know the dates that you have your meetings and I may be able to attend one of them, particularly if it is near the date of a visit to te Ring

Chris

Diamanten Mine
02-03-2004, 06:37 PM
Hey here is another mitsubishi driver from germany like Mirko.
Why don´t you make your visit at the ring to lay together with a mitsubishi meeting in germany ? There are many meetings from april to september and I´m sure you´ll find many new friends with similar interests in Germany.
Let me recommend you the 3rd week in July for your visit in Germany. You can take the first days of the week for your fun on the ring and come than at teh weekend to the greatest german mitsubishi meeting in the year - The "Stiftland" - Meeting. Its in Bavaria and only 190 miles far away from the ring. Be sure that we give you a warm welcome there......

Greetinx

Kai from germany

Visit also my homepage :

http://www.mitsubishi-fan.de

richieelliott
02-03-2004, 07:45 PM
Dont forget that if you stack you may not bring it back!
i was very lucky when i stacked there that the car wasnt that badly damaged remember aa cover doesnt cover you for the ring and the ring is still subject to public road laws etc it can become expensive ie crashing costs to get off track for any stoppages of track time and barriers etc but............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .......... Its the single most fun you can have in a car trust me! if your prepared to take a hit do it if not be aware that you may not be coming home with your motor.
Also brakes run very hot i wouldnt advise going with standard ones and do one lap at a time with long breaks ie half hour or so
and if you plan to mince round the track dont bother going its probably more frightening than bezzing round it as every other car is a porsche gt3 or better.
definatly take a co pilot with you on every lap i would have struggled without mine as he was a 4th mirror and top ferrari spotter as they appear as if by magic even at vr4 terminal speeds!
However the place is fantastic the people are top line and the views along the mosele valley are breath taking and werent marred by a fecked car!

i still have all the information from my trip about local area routes etc and ill be going again when not at sea and new house is bought but....... ill probably take a second car and a trailer
enjoy..

chris g
04-03-2004, 06:20 PM
I assume that richie's words of wisdom are for cvr4 members who have not yet been to the Ring

However I should put you straight about some of the points raised

It's OK to go steady around the Ring, without a passenger AND with std brakes

You need to take it steady as you get used to the place or you 'stack it' as some people regularly do on their first visit , sometimes at the slowest corner on the track!

If you are cautious as you would be on a foreign road/autobahn and alert then watching mirrors normally and moving over for faster and fast approaching vehicles will do nicely

As a first timer to Ring you will be taking it cautiously so no hard charging but keeping it smooth so std brakes are perfectly adequate as you learn the direction and gradient changes of the place

You do not need to take half hour break between each lap - not needed as you are not driving like a lunatic and hammering the brakes - being smooth and careful will see the brakes last all of a w/e trip without problems

Also the only way to start to remember the track is to string laps together - at least two in a row and perhaps three - then you start to get a memory of small parts of track and a rhythm to your laps - right gear and right line

You also avoid losing track time due to closures when cars spun and stalled or broken down or damaged by crashes

There are places where you will be able to go fast/faster but only as you start to remember the limited 'straights' available in between all the twisty bits

The std VR-4 will be perfect fun and completely safe for anyone of you who wants to enjoy the Ring and do not have an attitude of 'car is fast so I must be a fast driver'

Only a fool, an idiot or someone with a death wish will think they can race the exotica and other everyday cars that the locals drive - nearly all of these are faster than you and me

So come along to the Ring, it's fast, fun and twisty - a great place for the VR-4 but treat it with respect and caution and you will be safe and you will want to go back time and time again as I have

Chris

richieelliott
05-03-2004, 01:29 PM
you dont need to be a nutter like me to crash all it takes is someone to hit you and your walking its a big risk if your car is your 2nd missis however its worth it but not to mince round push the edge you only live once
and your pretty stupid not to take a passenger as you get overtaken on your near side and things appear in the blind spot constantly and if i you go to slow you become more of a hazard

chris g
07-03-2004, 09:40 AM
It's obvious that there are differing views on how to enjoy a safe visit to the Ring and if any other CVR4 members visit the place then they have to find their own way to enjoy themselves safely and without endangering other people