PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Hesitating

djdime
27-08-2007, 11:21 AM
When i floor it in my legnum, the turbos ( mainly the second one ) seem to hesitate and then struggle coming onto boost. I had a similar ho problem in my RX7 with a small rubber pipe that had collapsed due to the heat. I does it intermitantly, but sometimes its almost as if the turbo's are not working at all. How is the 2nd turbo supposed to feel? i know they are small but i think there should be at least a small feeling of boost?

:thinking:

Wouter
27-08-2007, 11:27 AM
They are not sequential, they both spin up at the same time.

bradc
27-08-2007, 11:28 AM
there is no seperate wave of torque from the second turbo, they work at the same time as each other, which is quite unlike an RX7 or Subaru Legacy GT.

That may clear up the question for you.

djdime
27-08-2007, 11:32 AM
ok - so what is the hesitation in the boost do you think? ps thanks for the speedy response.

ianturbo
27-08-2007, 06:18 PM
mine was the same , new set of plugs did the trick ,and not as bad as i thought it was going to be :scholar: looked like front ones had been changed but back ones never been ,
Ian

djdime
27-08-2007, 06:20 PM
ok thanks for that - will order the new plugs - any specifics?

However, on the way to pick my fiance up tonight. the engine management light came on. could this be the plugs? or is it something more sinister. And more importantly - should i even be driving it?

AderC
27-08-2007, 07:00 PM
You can read off the fault code(s) by grounding pin 1 on the OBD socket. The link below is for the FTO but is exactly the same on the VR4:

http://www.ftowa.com/html/workshop/workshopart07.html

aDe

ianturbo
27-08-2007, 07:06 PM
my management light didn't come on :sad3: , plugs i got were ngk iridium , there is a link to the site on here somewere , £43 delivered ,but i thin you should get yours cheaked out if light has cme on , hope its nowt major /JawDroppi
ian

djdime
28-08-2007, 09:19 AM
hmmm i will read of the codes tonight - the light isnt on anymore however.

AderC
28-08-2007, 10:29 AM
If the light's been on recently it should still have the fault code(s) stored and they will still show when you go into the diagnostic mode.

aDe

djdime
28-08-2007, 10:43 AM
:( ballache :( just before trax too. dont think i will be on the circuit now :(

serenity88
28-08-2007, 01:00 PM
Could be you've got a waste gate problem, would explain why your feeling a secondary boost effect. if one of the waste gates is not retracting properly the turbo will take forever to spool up! would put some hard one sided strain on your engine and no doubt affect the induction as well. Would cause an error for sure.

I've heard of waste gates playing up before, have the turbos ever been serviced?

djdime
28-08-2007, 02:10 PM
pass -

its a fresh import but 3 weeks ago.

whats the damage for servicing the turbo's and can it be done at home - my bro in law is somewhat of a genius when it comes to cars

Nick Mann
28-08-2007, 06:06 PM
Turbo servicing is not something that is cheap to do. A good set of secnd hand ones will be a lot cheaper. I was told (but not by someone I would trust very far) that the servicing kit is over £300, so you are looking at £600-£700 just for the pair.

So if they are foobarred then get a second hand set for £200.

Why are you so sure that the problem is your turbos? Why could it not be the fuelling or timing or spark or a simple air leak?

Subaru ETA
29-08-2007, 08:30 AM
i would be looking at timing, fuel or spark problem too.

the light could have come on because it is detecting a missfire

serenity88
29-08-2007, 08:48 AM
Yea, Make sure you know what it is before you go to far. My suggestion is take it around to a mechanic and get it looked at. If this is a new import, have you got a warranty? Did you do the oils yourself? dont trust dealers cause they lie!

Has it always done this since you got it? or is it something that just developed?

Turbo servicing is expensive mainly due to the high labour content involved, it's a labourous undertaking x2 doubles the cost, although I would have to disagree that replacement is cheaper (unless you can get some dirt cheap reconditioned ones) because any turbos you buy will require service kits anyway! It's only a good idea if yours are shot or your upgrading!

A service kit goes for between 140- 200 nz dollars down here, so you could buy them on trade me or check e-bay cause even with the shipping that's still pretty good for you guys. If you are capable of doing it yourself then it's just a tme verses money factor! but in theory servicing should buy you another 100 thou k's easy so it's a good investment

another possibility is that the springs in the actuators have gone sloppy to, cause that happens as well. That affect's the boost. mainly on higher k's though

orionn2o
29-08-2007, 02:06 PM
I agree with the others, dont be too quick to assume its the turbos. The turbo system is built up of a collection of parts which control boost, build up and how the car behaves. So start looking at the smaller stuff first!

The last thing you want to do is replace the turbos and find that the problem is still there!

orionn2o
29-08-2007, 02:09 PM
Another thing, are you sure you're just not expecting too much??

Is your boost controlled by the ecu or by an independant boost controller?

Eurospec
29-08-2007, 02:58 PM
I've heard that kind of number for the recon kit talked about before, but there seem to be very very few places that can actually get hold of it. Seems the shaft is the issue.

Saying that i wouldnt think you have a turbo issue just yet.

The hesitation is very often caused by a fuel delivery problem. Either the filter is bunged, or the pump strainer, or the pump itself. At times of high demand it cant quite cope and ends up leaning out, so you get a lean missfire.

It couls also be a plug or lead breaking down under load has been suggested. Finally it may also be an air leak. The latter (if its big enough) will put the cel on.

Cheers,

Ben.

djdime
30-08-2007, 11:00 AM
well - did the plugs - cleaned the air filter and changed the oil and filter - WHAT A PAIN CHANGING THE PLUGS!! lol

I have to say, i dont think that the rear plugs had been changed since 1997!!!

anyway much better now !!! :)