PDA

View Full Version : What relationship do you New Zealanders have with Australians?

Brind
07-01-2004, 12:08 AM
Forgive my history knowledge as this may sound stupid but I honestly don't know the answer.

You New Zealanders came from Australia didn't you?
Is it possible for a New Zealander to just turn up on the door of Australia and start working for a living there and buy a house as he/she would in New Zealand?
Or would you need to apply for a Green Card INSERT INTO post VALUES (work permit) and have a suitable job title etc etc before being allowed in to stay?

Here in the UK, since we are part of Europe we can work in Germany and Spain etc without too.. much difficulty.

Just wondering what the situation is for you guys and Australia.

Emma
07-01-2004, 01:36 AM
Well I am originally from the uk now a kiwi and from what I understand if you are a new zealand citzen which you apply to be once your over here, you can then work and live in aussie. I am only a permenant resident at the mo so I have to get an aussie visa to get in. You might want to watch what you say about kiwi's comming from Aussie though, not true and likely to cause hostility lol :)

Brind
07-01-2004, 01:52 AM
The accent is very similer and they aren't too far from each other so I just assumed.. :lipsrseal :-D

Thanks for the reply.

Nigelator
07-01-2004, 03:00 AM
FOR STARTS---->we great Kiwis didnt come from OzzieINSERT INTO post VALUES (the land of all ex-pom criminals) but we mostly came from UK, Scotland and Irland, I think it was the beutilfulness of our country and the Gold rush that the rich families sent their sons ova here.

More lats

jtfleming
07-01-2004, 04:17 AM
The accent is very similer and they aren't too far from each other so I just assumed.. :lipsrseal :-D

We sound nothing like Aussies, its like saying you sound like the Welsh!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Spirit
07-01-2004, 08:02 AM
We sound nothing like Aussies, its like saying you sound like the Welsh!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:lolz: Guess thats a fair comment ! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Brind
07-01-2004, 09:12 PM
LOL!!! did tell you I wasn't up on your history. :$ :-D :-D

So you weren't criminals, you don't speak like Aussies.. so, I guess that means you have to apply for a green card etc to get into Australia.

You aren't too far from Australia though.. can see that from the map. :laugh:

KiwiTT
07-01-2004, 10:35 PM
I am Dutch, but consider myself a Kiwi, However, I have lived in both countries. A bit of a comparison, would be this; Australia is a smaller version of the US. New Zealand is a smaller version of the UK.

Brind
08-01-2004, 09:51 PM
Thanks alot Richard.

tunes
08-01-2004, 11:36 PM
Saying that Kiwi's and Aussies sound the same is like saying that Scotts and Poms do too.

Brind
09-01-2004, 12:03 AM
AH! so, they don't sound the same then? :idea: :D

I must have heard Aussie Kiwis then.

Brind
09-01-2004, 01:19 AM
To cheer up the Kiwis after unintentionally upsetting them>

Once upon a time in the Kingdom of Heaven, God went missing for Six days. Eventually, Michael the Archangel found him, resting on the seventh day. He inquired of God, "Where have you been?"

God sighed a deep sigh of satisfaction and proudly pointed downwards through the clouds, "Look Michael, look what I've made." Archangel Michael looked puzzled and said, "What is it?"

"It's a planet, replied God, "and I've put LIFE on it. I'm going to call it Earth and it's going to be a great place of balance".

"Balance?" inquired Michael, still confused.

God explained, pointing to different parts of Earth. "For example, Northern Europe will be a place of great opportunity and wealth while Southern Europe is going to be poor; the Middle East over there will be a hot spot." "Over there I've placed a continent of white people and over there is a continent of black people" God continued, pointing to different countries. "And over there, I call this place America. North America will be rich and powerful and cold, while South America will be poor, and hot and friendly. And the little spot in the middle is Central America which is a Hot spot. Can you see the balance?"

"Yes" said the Archangel, impressed by Gods work, then he pointed to a large land mass and asked, "What's that one?"

"Ah" said God. "That's New Zealand, the most glorious place on Earth. There are beautiful mountains, rainforests, rivers, streams and an exquisite coast line. The people are good looking, intelligent and humorous and they're going to be found traveling the world. They'll be extremely sociable, hard-working and high-achieving, and they will be known throughout the world as diplomats and carriers of peace. I'm also going to give them super- human, undefeatable, strong in character citizens who will be admired and feared by all who come across them".

Michael gasped in wonder and admiration but then exclaimed, "You said there will be BALANCE!"

God replied wisely. "Wait until you see the buggers I'm putting next to them"

:laugh: :laugh: no Aussies here now is there? :lolz:

-LegnumVR4-
09-01-2004, 08:35 AM
If u say 'Six' in Ozzy lang it sounds like 'Sex'. :)

KiwiTT
09-01-2004, 11:12 PM
Thanks Brind: Did you know we called New Zealand "Godzone" ?

Xeroid
09-01-2004, 11:22 PM
Geez, NZer's came from Aussie, who rewrote history.
Capt James Cook found NZ and Aust many years ago, Aust was selected by the POMs as a penal colony and they shipped 1000's out to get rid of them back home in blighty.
Meanwhile NZ was settled by colonists from UK, SCotland, Ireland, predominantly but not exclusively, gold brought many others similar to California INSERT INTO post VALUES ( many moved between the two actually ).
The colonists over here at least signed a contract with the local population INSERT INTO post VALUES ( the maori and the Treaty of Waitangi ) whereas the Aussie attempted to exterminate the Aborigines on their side of the Tasman. I think the comment that NZ is more like UK and Aust like the US is very close to it. Dunedin, one of our southern cities has more Pipe bands than Scotland has , INSERT INTO post VALUES ( Dunedin was settled by the Scots, it means small Edinborough ). Christchurch is the most 'English' city in the world outside England.

The relation ship between NZ & Auusies is we hate their guts and they ours unless someone else tries to knock the other on about, then we're best of mates. Sounds like a couple of brothers I guess.

No visa for NZ going to Aust or vice versa, reciprocal rights with benefits and working etc although there is some talk of visa because of the security issues and some perceived imbalance in migration numbers. They can't make beer to save their lives, our red wine just hoses over them for quality and most of their language is 2 syllable or less for easy comprehension. NZ is far greener, cleaner, and has nicer people.

We could make similar queries/comments about the relationship between USA and Canada or Mexico.

Brind
09-01-2004, 11:59 PM
Excellent history lessons here. :wiggle:

I found this website when looking for all sorts of info, I'm sure you will enjoy this one. HERE (http://www.muntedmess.com/kiwis.htm)