PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Needs some help with a problem please!

doughnuts
29-08-2007, 12:59 PM
Hi Folks,

Recently went to the Japanese car auctions and fell in love with a white VR4 estate, a model I had not seen before. Am really enjoying driving it, puts a smile on your face doesnt it! Have a couple of little problems though that have come up and despite a very helpful local dealership, they werent able to decipher the fault codes.

I think one set is straight forward. The abs/traction control lights are staying on/flashing and do not work. I had a similar problem on another car recently and the cure was a faulty wheel speed sensor, the abs codes registered are 52 and 77, does anybody know if this is correct and if which one of the sensors is failing?

The engine management light is also on registering codes 71, 72, does anybody know how to analise these please? Dont want to drive the car at the moment until I know that there is no harm being done, but need to. Can anybody help please or make any suggestions on how to find out the meaning of the codes?

Thanks alot, really appreciate anyone taking the time to help ;-)

Nick Mann
29-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Hello and /Welcome

I can't help with the abs codes. The other two are:

71 Vacuum control solenoid valve (TCL)
72 Ventilation control solenoid valve (TCL)

This could mean that a vacuum hose has come loose from your tcl unit, which is bolted to the bulkhead in the engine bay. Try searching this site for engine check light and tcl light, etc. There is more info on diagnostic codes in our library, which includes member info and workshop manuals where we have them. If you join as a full member (£20) one of the benefits is full access to our well stocked and growing library area.

Hope you get further with your ABS issue.

MPBVr4
29-08-2007, 03:26 PM
Hi mate welcome to the club/Welcome2. Sorry can't help with the fault codes
but have a look around there should be a thread or 2 related. As Nick said above £20 buys you membership to one of the friendliest clubs around and a hell of lot of information.

Physician
29-08-2007, 03:48 PM
Hi buddy,

First course of action is to disconnect your battery for a few minutes to clear the ECU of any data that is corrupting the engine info. After you have reconnected the battery see if you still have the fault.

If you DO still have a fault then I suggest the following (as Nick has already mentioned in his post above)........... see the grey 'barrel' at top and slightly left of center of the photo ......... remove and replace the two small tubes - in other words make sure they are connected properly and haven't come loose. Also check the connections on the other end of each tube.

Good luck. :)

http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Pictures/VR4-docs/vr4engine/C_2.jpg

EDIT: Now check for the fault again ...... you MAY need to disconnect battery again and check.

Beastlee
29-08-2007, 10:25 PM
If there's a vacuum problem wouldn't that have a possible effect on the ABS system? Doesn't TCL use the ABS in reverse to work or is it a power cut?

Can only repeat what has already been said. £20 is a bargain and you get your money's worth in any service or just savings by doing jobs right first time

doughnuts
30-08-2007, 09:20 AM
Well, what a response! Thanks very much to all of you, not only for the welcome, but the helpfulness/freindlyness of the response! And in such a short time - Im well impressed ;-)

Will try your suggestions and reoprt back with findings, thanks again chaps, really appreciate it.

See you soon, Don

doughnuts
30-08-2007, 12:21 PM
Sorry guys, forgot to ask. Does anybody know where I can get a sensibly priced new fuel guage please?

Many thanks

MPBVr4
30-08-2007, 04:30 PM
Sorry guys, forgot to ask. Does anybody know where I can get a sensibly priced new fuel guage please?

Many thanks

It's not broken it really does go down that quickly/pan

Seriously though give "Zedy1" a call or pm he'll probably have something

http://www.clubvr4.com/index.php?page=Galant_spares

doughnuts
31-08-2007, 01:15 PM
Nice one, wish I had thought of that! Will give him a go - many thanks ;-)

Beastlee
13-09-2007, 08:01 PM
Did you have any joy on the TCL/ABS fault?

doughnuts
25-09-2007, 11:14 AM
Hi Lee

Seems to have rectified itself! Although, not driving the car very much at the moment so maybe I just havent agrevated it yet! Dont have much spare time at the moment but will do in a few weeks so will find out properly then. Spent all sat removing the little black spots flies leave behind, using one of these tar/bug removers/polishes - looks spanky again now, and am going to order some new foot mats from the club as I think the blue original ones look rank.

Hows Germany? What mods are you planning for your new vehicle?

Beastlee
29-09-2007, 11:02 AM
Not there yet, we move Thursday. The Profec II is already paid for and should arrive this week.. Will have to wait to fit it but rest assured there is much more to come.