PDA

View Full Version : £1,100 for a spoiler!

lorriman
07-01-2004, 02:52 PM
I have a V6 Sport Auto and bought what Mitsubishi call the 'VR4' spoiler for it last March. It cost me £440 + uprated boot springs + fitting. No change from £500 anyway.

They call it a VR4 spoiler, but it doesn't have the brake light in it. For this you need the 'Sport Spoiler' which is something compleley different INSERT INTO post VALUES (lower profile).

Anyway, the first one they fitted INSERT INTO post VALUES (has to be drilled and bolted to the boot) was the wrong colour INSERT INTO post VALUES (slightly different from the car, but enough to worry about) so they ordered another, but that arrived the same.

They then resprayed the one I had, but scratched the boot in the process and failed to finish off underneath the spoiler. In again, but before it want back I noticed the spoiler appeared to be de-laminating INSERT INTO post VALUES (cracks appeared along the length of the spoiler). Ordered another one, fitted and within a few days this too was cracking.

Finally got Mitsubishi to replace it with a proper VR spoiler, so waited 3 weeks only to discover that they had ordered the 'Sport Spoiler' and not the VR4. Another 3 weeks and the proper VR4 spolier arrived. I was told that these were £891 + VAT + fitting WOW!

Booked it in for the swap only to be told that the proper VR4 spoiler was 4mm smaller all round and that they would need to respray the whole boot again. Now it's booked in for the 15th & 16th Jan. Just 10 months after the start of the whole debacle!

Does anyone else's dealer sound this incompetent and where do Mitsubishi get off calling an after market cheapo part a 'VR4 spoiler'?

ritch_w
07-01-2004, 03:36 PM
Thats absolutely ridiculous.
I ve never had any probs with my mitsu dealer.
That is daylight robbery!!!
I used to have an options list somewhere and there was the choice of 2 spoliers with the dearer one being a vr spoiler INSERT INTO post VALUES (i think) for aroung £400....

what colour is your V6 Sport?

Kieran
07-01-2004, 06:25 PM
Bonkers! That's crazy!! Hope you get it sorted there mate!

enigma
07-01-2004, 07:04 PM
That is truly insane! Mind you having just forked out £320 for 2 ball joints I can share your pain!

I called my local dealer the other day, wanted some carpet to cover a sub box. They could only supply pre shaped bits of carpet and the bit I wanted unfortunately was attached to a bit of plastic INSERT INTO post VALUES (the rear luggage floor in the estate) the price?? £500!! OMG! He then had the cheek to ask me if I wanted him to order me one!!! £500 for a bit of carpet......they are having a larrrrf!

Nick Mann
07-01-2004, 08:29 PM
it's the only thing that Mitsubishi are notoriously bad for.

lorriman, hope you end up happy with the result, if not the cost.

Dmac1969
08-01-2004, 10:24 PM
Yeah ive got the non brake light 'VR4' replica spoiler on my V6-24 , cost me £500 all in to be fitted. I kinda like it...even though its not a real one , but then again , its not a real VR4!....;)

peterernest
09-01-2004, 09:07 AM
Allen Ford recently fitted a new lid and bumper to the back of my Legnum however all the parts had to be ordered from Bells Mitsubishi, Earls Barton.

I popped into Bells yesterday who mentioned they'd supplied all my new bits and commented on their suprise at how much the boot spoiler was for the VR4. INSERT INTO post VALUES (Around £900+VAT).

My old spoiler was untouched however they're bonded on to the boot so cannot be removed without damaging.

peterernest
09-01-2004, 09:09 AM
Can you guess how much a replacement key is for a VR4? INSERT INTO post VALUES (The one with the central locking button in it)

lorriman
12-01-2004, 01:40 PM
Thats absolutely ridiculous.
I ve never had any probs with my mitsu dealer.
That is daylight robbery!!!
I used to have an options list somewhere and there was the choice of 2 spoliers with the dearer one being a vr spoiler INSERT INTO post VALUES (i think) for aroung £400....

what colour is your V6 Sport?

It's Pyrenees black. Rather it's grey and brown after the trip into work this morning. And the colour is the problem!

It looks as if the 'aftermarket' VR4 spoiler suffers from the heat because it would start to crack when the outside temp. went over 25 deg. I think it was the heat differential between the top and bottom of the spoiler and probably wouldn't be noticeable on, say a silver spoiler which wouldn't get as hot in the first place.

Let's hope the proper one lasts!

Thanks for your support guys.

Piccy when it's done I think.

colVR4
12-01-2004, 01:56 PM
What's wrong with the original V6-24 Sport spoiler? I quite like the low-pro look actually and I think I prefer to have the extra brake light there so I can blind to$$ers who sit too close behind me on the motorway with a quick tap on the brakes :-)

lorriman
12-01-2004, 02:02 PM
What's wrong with the original V6-24 Sport spoiler? I quite like the low-pro look actually and I think I prefer to have the extra brake light there so I can blind to$$ers who sit too close behind me on the motorway with a quick tap on the brakes :-)

I suppose in my naivity I thought the VR4 one would look better. I have to agree, though, the brake light in the Window will now need to be disconnected as I won't want one on the spoiler at the same level. Or maybe I will!

RAVEN
04-02-2004, 05:48 PM
Do spoilers really cost that much?!!!! Bleedin' Hell FIRE!!!

lorriman
06-02-2004, 09:40 AM
I finally managed to wash the car and get the old camera out. The new spolier looks great (I think). - I hope the attachment shows.

The proper VR4 spolier costs £891 + VAT + fitting, but because I bought the so-called VR4 spoiler sold by MM in the UK, which doesn't have the brake light in it the thing cost me £420 + £40 for uprated boot springs + £39 fitting, but when on the third attempt the replacement spoilers kept cracking, customer services agreed to swap it for the real McCoy. So, 10 months later the proper one is in place.

I've left the existing brakelight connected, so anyone following too close will get a face full of red lights, though still not as bright as those new BMW and Merc LED lights!

zedy1
06-02-2004, 09:54 AM
Looks Great M8