PDA

View Full Version : Problems with the back seats

prodigymad
31-08-2007, 06:43 PM
Hi all,

Does anyone know if there is an override catch / switch somewhere for the back seats (fold down ones).:inquisiti

I have just had the majority of my audio install done but they couldn't fit the rear speakers because they couldn't get the back seats down/Grrr

The 2 plastic buttons on either side seem to press down but the seats don't move!

Thanks everyone!

Johnny_Cashed
31-08-2007, 08:42 PM
Me too, although the time I locked my keys in the boot /pan the AA man managed to get them down?

Beastlee
31-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Shouldn't be any reason for it, nor do I see any point in it. On my Legnum it ws easy to push and fold.

Nick Mann
01-09-2007, 10:43 AM
As said - the buttons should release the seat back. The seat can be removed by releasing a couple of clips at the leading edge and then lifting and pulling forwards. That should also give you a hole for wire access, assuming that was their issue?

prodigymad
05-09-2007, 08:35 PM
hi all - got it sorted.

If you pull the black plastic button unit out of the seat it will expose the metal rod that leads to the catch mechanism.

Get a pair of pliers, grab the metal rod and then manually push the rod down and hey presto, the seat is released.

Once released, spray some WD40 and get the catch mechanism greased.

Replace the black plastic button onto the metal rod, making sure that the rod lines up with the centre of the button.

Sorted!! :scholar:

P.S. My local Mitsubishi dealer wanted to charge me at least 2 hours labour and whatever parts required to "dismantle" the seats. 2 hours labour was £160 alone!!

Paul Beazer
06-09-2007, 12:23 PM
"cough" robbing bastards "cough"

HMG1K
17-09-2007, 02:37 PM
Do the rear seats fold down on all VR4 saloons?

I've seen a saloon with built in rear headrests but no obvious catch to push them down - but the back-seat area of the boot has what looks like a cut out area where if the seats went down - BINGO!

Kieran
17-09-2007, 11:28 PM
Do the rear seats fold down on all VR4 saloons?

No. None of the VR-4s saloons have split/fold rear seats. Only the estates (Legnums) did. All of the UK-Spec non-VR-4 Galants (estate AND saloon) however did have them.

The VR-4 saloons, regardless of if they're an import or one of the 'Official' UK cars were all built to the Japanese specification, and as such have fixed rear seats.

Johnny_Cashed
18-09-2007, 08:31 PM
Got my back seats down today, the button moves down easily and then feels like it comes to a stop - I had to push down a lot harder before it clicked to the bottom and then the seats would move. I reckon in the saloons no one usually puts the seats down and it had seized a little?