PDA

View Full Version : finally put my intercooler in

vineil
03-09-2007, 08:59 AM
finally got around to putting my intercooler in :afro:
i scored sum free stainless pipes off a m8 so did all the work myself pretty much. ill post some pics up later but this is how my car looks with the cooler atm.:pimp2:

stuey
03-09-2007, 11:40 AM
looks great, what intercooler is it ?

vineil
04-09-2007, 05:23 AM
umm trade me?? lol
its not branded mate. just scored it for $150 off trademe. cant justify spending more money on a branded one.

Eagleton
07-09-2007, 11:41 AM
What size is it? Does it fit under the factory fontbumper?

vineil
09-09-2007, 01:17 AM
size is 600x300x76

and yea it fits under the factory bumper :2thumbsup just had to trim the impact beam a bit.

wnwnwnw
09-09-2007, 07:58 AM
Very nice............Man

How is the performance?? Any improvement??

Eagleton
09-09-2007, 01:13 PM
Nice. I´m going for kind of the same thing in a couple of months. Did you guys know that ARC does a IC kit to our cars?

http://www.arcinter.co.jp/arc/products/intercooler/normal/mitsubishi/mitsubishi.html

VR4 MAD
10-09-2007, 01:51 AM
.......Did you guys know that ARC does a IC kit to our cars?

http://www.arcinter.co.jp/arc/products/intercooler/normal/mitsubishi/mitsubishi.html

The ARC ones are considered by many to be the best, but.......that comes at quite a high cost.

Thrust/GReddy also do a factory intercooler direct replacement kit as well.

Here's a link (http://www.trust-power.com/overseas/english/04GReddy_Cooling/021801.htm) to a list of the Trust/GReddy kits. Scroll down the page to the Mitz section.

I've got one of these kits, but not fitted yet.

Also, we think Rayray24 has one fitted to his car. /rally

The core size is a little smaller size than the 600x300 like Vineil's one shown at the top of the thread, but as you can see from the pictures, the top 60 to 80mm is hidden behind the crash-bar, so doesn't see much in the way of cooling air flow anyway. /pan /Grrr
So what's the point of having the larger size.

And you have to cut (weaken) the crash-bar too. Not a good idea IMHO.

Just my two cents worth.

Hope that helps.

/toycar

Kenneth
10-09-2007, 02:51 AM
The core size is a little smaller size than the 600x300 like Vineil's one shown at the top of the thread, but as you can see from the pictures, the top 60 to 80mm is hidden behind the crash-bar, so doesn't see much in the way of cooling air flow anyway. /pan /Grrr
So what's the point of having the larger size.

/toycar

On boost the Intercooler works as a heat sink, the extra material in a big intercooler can absorb more heat per degree of temperature rise.
Overall result is that it keeps the temperature down for longer before the air cooling is actually effective.

vineil
10-09-2007, 04:12 AM
yeah you have to tri mthe impact beam but i welded in a new section so dont think its that bad. lol

VR4 MAD
10-09-2007, 04:39 AM
Hey Kenneth,

you sound like you know what your talking about and it seems to make sense (to me anyway), so what do you make of this post from over in the "ARC Cold Induction Box" thread regarding matt black colouring of the intercooler.

Also the section I've highlighted in red seems to agree with what you said above regarding sizing as well.

............But this one is a stright swap, all sizes are the same (unless I read wrong).
for better cooling you would need bigger cooler.
Sliver looks nice, but it just does not work!!!
if you want it to get better cooling get w Matt Black one. Sliver refects the heat transfer, Matt Black allows the flow of heat transfer.
Ours are not coated this trerrible colour for nothing.

The Math forumlas will prove this so much i think most of us will be shocked at the amount this affects us.

Cheers.

/toycar

Gly
10-09-2007, 07:42 AM
kens right,

they act like a big heat sink,

read here...

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_1815/article.html?popularArticle

Kenneth
11-09-2007, 12:40 AM
Hey Kenneth,

you sound like you know what your talking about and it seems to make sense (to me anyway), so what do you make of this post from over in the "ARC Cold Induction Box" thread regarding matt black colouring of the intercooler.

Also the section I've highlighted in red seems to agree with what you said above regarding sizing as well.

Cheers.

/toycar

The comment about colour is correct, dark/matte colours do facilitate heat transfer better than light / reflective colours.

The question is how much difference will it make, and if the effort/cost involved is worth it for that gain.

first of all to increase the efficiency for 90% of its use (which is being a heat sink) you would need to blacken the INSIDE of the intercooler as this is where the most important heat transfer is.
You would have to do this by anodising, as paint is too risky... you risk a heavy layer which will insulate, and flakes coming off and going into the engine.
Anodising black is expensive.

The outside is a bit easier, you can paint it but it will be hard to get a nice thin coat onto all the fins without risking having a thick insulating coat in places. Again you could anodise, but that is expensive.

Sure, black is better... but not so practical. Is it worth making it black, or is it just better to get the next size up?

Wakaba
07-10-2007, 03:32 AM
GOOD lord, what is the pressure drop and lag like with that monster? What mods do you have to support such a large core?