PDA

View Full Version : Torque Converter Oil Seal

fredfour4
04-09-2007, 11:45 PM
I took the box off tonight. The new oil seal (MR967673) did not look as meaty as the old oil seal..

There was ATF leaking and always required topping up and it could be seen on removing the inspection plate on the box. Upon removing the box the next day I could not find any traces of ATF in the bell housing and there was not any between the transfer box and auto. There are no cracks in casings and no traces of ATF on the TC.
The only problem I could see was the old TC Seal was not sitting in its recess (Looked like it had only been pushed half way home.

Or was the box overfilled and the pressure inside the box force the TC seal out half way.

I have fitted the new seal and have fitted the box. It will still require another 5 hours to finish and to see if the leak has stopped.

All in all not a bad job to do just time consuming.

White Lightning
05-09-2007, 08:17 AM
The new oil seal (MR967673) did not look as meaty as the old oil seal..

Did you definately get the right part? When Mitsi supplied us with a torque converter seal when we changed my engine they supplied the wrong part. It was very similar but not right.

Fortunately, CVR4 came to the rescue for me ... and I got hold of the right bit via another club member.

richy rich
05-09-2007, 09:27 PM
Did you definately get the right part? When Mitsi supplied us with a torque converter seal when we changed my engine they supplied the wrong part. It was very similar but not right.

Fortunately, CVR4 came to the rescue for me ... and I got hold of the right bit via another club member.
Wayne the 1 they gave you was the drive shaft seal (if i remember correctly) totally different and will not fit in a month off Sundays.

fredfour4
05-09-2007, 11:20 PM
It is the right part and numbers and it fitted like it should.
I should be on the road on saturday if time allows.