PDA

View Full Version : help with knocking noise

l11king
06-09-2007, 07:24 PM
just a question to you folks has anyone came across a knocking noise from the rear suspension I have had the car up on the ramp checked all the joints and bushes . Not found anything worn or broken. i have replaced the rear drop links still no difference. It gets worse with more weight in the car. When you hear the noise it sounds if it is something obvious. any ideas. I have had three pretty experienced mechanics look at and they never found anything either.

cheers

Roadrunner
06-09-2007, 07:32 PM
If you've checked all the bushes and you're absolutely sure it's none of them (some are very difficult to check, but if you've got good mechanics looking at your car, they should know), I'd check for a broken shock absorber or top or bottom mount.

l11king
06-09-2007, 07:37 PM
The only one that I thought it wasn't clear was the one at the front of the wheel when you rock the wheel back and forward there is no movement. I am an HGV mechanic and my mates are mechanics we have all banged our heads together and can't see anything

Subaru ETA
08-09-2007, 11:02 AM
yeah i would think upper shock mount

psbarham
08-09-2007, 01:07 PM
how solid are the exhaust mountings?

Roadrunner
08-09-2007, 01:09 PM
The only one that I thought it wasn't clear was the one at the front of the wheel when you rock the wheel back and forward there is no movement.
Rather than just put the car up on the ramp, you'd need to take the pressure off the bushes by supporting the car and leaving the wheels to dangle free. You'd then have a better view of any bushes that are shot.

Nevman
08-09-2007, 03:09 PM
Rather than just put the car up on the ramp, you'd need to take the pressure off the bushes by supporting the car and leaving the wheels to dangle free. You'd then have a better view of any bushes that are shot.

Good point.

pitslayer
10-09-2007, 01:43 AM
not something silly like tools rolling around in the spare wheel well. ive had that, the horrible knocking noise on the back, got worse as i put more stuff in, cleaned boot out, found the one of the windy bits on the jack had come out of its place and started knocking between the tyre and wheel well.....yes it did feel silly after having a few mechanics look at it lol

thecrazyfish
13-09-2007, 11:46 AM
could it be a cv joint? or ayc pump? is it a loud bang/thud or a constant when there's a load? a loose nut or bolt or some other foreign object thats been picked up and got stuck.

hope ya can sort it out

l11king
17-09-2007, 09:32 PM
cheers guys to all your help will try these things and let you know it is a right pain in the arse

Oblivion
01-10-2007, 09:51 AM
I've got that same knock too! Coming from the left rear on mine. And here I was thinking I'd be the only one :P Havent got a clue what it is and I've had a few people look at it but it seems to pass WOF and havent noticed poor handling or anything. Its DAMN annoying though.

Nutter_John
01-10-2007, 11:26 AM
This is a suggestion , have a check of the rear prop shaft bushes as mine is shot and ,make a hell of a noise at times .

White Lightning
01-10-2007, 01:24 PM
Not a broken bump stop?

l11king
15-11-2007, 08:16 PM
replaced the shockers and the noise is still there had it up on ramps and had another two people look at it still nothing. checked all the prop and it is ok.

Louis
17-11-2007, 08:20 PM
Upper balljoint?

l11king
04-05-2008, 10:48 PM
finally found the knocking noise guys. the car started wondering all over the road so stripped it down and found that the rear tie rod the one with the ball joint at one sideand the adjustable part at the other was worn. but when you checked it on the vehicle there was noplay. thanks for all the sugestions.

Kieran
05-05-2008, 12:27 AM
finally found the knocking noise guys. the car started wondering all over the road so stripped it down and found that the rear tie rod the one with the ball joint at one sideand the adjustable part at the other was worn. but when you checked it on the vehicle there was noplay. thanks for all the sugestions.

Thanks for letting us know! Another thing to suggest in future!:scholar:

Robotnik123
05-05-2008, 12:37 AM
My car once had a mysterious knocking sound when I turned hard. It turned out to be a forgotten bottle of wine under the front seat that was rolling around! :happy:

Oblivion
14-05-2008, 12:03 PM
Just wondering l11king, was there any other noise or vibration apart from the knock or was that the only symptom? Also how much for the new part?

l11king
16-05-2008, 11:24 PM
the only other symtom was the back of the car wobbled about when driving felt like the back of the car was steering it quite scary at high speed the part was just short of £70 hope this helps

Oblivion
17-05-2008, 07:46 AM
Yeh thanks, I have a similar thing happening but it only wobbles slightly if I some manholes now and then.

Ryan
17-05-2008, 08:26 AM
My car once had a mysterious knocking sound when I turned hard. It turned out to be a forgotten bottle of wine under the front seat that was rolling around! :happy:

Hahah!!! Good find :)