PDA

View Full Version : YAY, i bought a Legnum.

spm01
07-09-2007, 07:43 AM
Hello everyone, i thought i would post in here to express my pleasure.

I finally managed to find a manual legnum, bloody hard to find one down the south of GB.
anyway i bought it yesterday and apart from the body work which could do with a little tidy, but the car is mechanically sound so that is all i was worried about really. i took it out late last night to pick the mrs up and on very cold start up it sounds like the lash adjusters are a little nsy but that soon goes and they are not going to cause any hugh problems so i am not worried about them yet.

it had a good test drive home yesterday as we missed a turning and turned a 3hr trip into a 4.5hr trip, but hey not to worry, it was nice to have a little play through the twisties of the A roads.

i will soon be joining all you members in the members section, as soon as i speak to the mrs as i do not have a paypal account and she does, some sweet talking needed i think as she hates me spending money on cars,lol.
cheers

07-09-2007, 07:50 AM
congrats!!! and enjoy. just me now..haha

Nick VR4
07-09-2007, 08:33 AM
Congrats on the purchase :)

Nick Mann
07-09-2007, 10:04 AM
Congrats and enjoy!

The lash adjusters will get worse, but regular oil changes with high quality oil should keep the ticking at bay. Beyond the niose, it is believed that the ticking is not detrimental to the engine anyway.

And just tell her that it is the best £20 you can spend on a VR4. It could potentially save a lot more!

stuey
07-09-2007, 01:39 PM
Congrats on a manual legnum, enjoy it !!!! lash adjusters can be sorted if it really bugs you...

Spirit
07-09-2007, 08:33 PM
Congrats on the purchase......post some pix :pimp2:

The membership fee is the best £20 you can spend on your VR4 /yes

Lillywotsername
07-09-2007, 09:11 PM
Hi and /Welcome

ANTHONY
07-09-2007, 09:20 PM
welcome to the house of fun /Welcome

ianturbo
07-09-2007, 11:12 PM
i would like to say /Welcome2 , to one of the few non autos
ian

Nevman
08-09-2007, 12:23 AM
Welcome mate and congrats on the purchase.
The lash adjusters is a common problem. Mine are noisy like diesel when the engine is cold than it gets much quieter after little warm up. Sometimes it's not audiable at all. Apparently you can change them to the set with 3mm diameter (instead of 1mm on standard) but IMHO as long as it doesn't harm the engine, it's not worthy to spend £500 (or more, depends on how much you pay for labour) if it's not that loud. Eventually you can always turn up the volume on your stereo :happy:

Rambaud
08-09-2007, 08:20 AM
Welcome mate and congrats on the purchase.
The lash adjusters is a common problem. Mine are noisy like diesel when the engine is cold than it gets much quieter after little warm up. Sometimes it's not audiable at all. Apparently you can change them to the set with 3mm diameter (instead of 1mm on standard) but IMHO as long as it doesn't harm the engine, it's not worthy to spend £500 (or more, depends on how much you pay for labour) if it's not that loud. Eventually you can always turn up the volume on your stereo :happy:

Similar problem when my Audi 90 quattro needed its tappets replacing at 105,000 miles. I sourced them from a motor factor and had them changed by a local garage for under £100 all in. :)

And welcome to the Forums, spmo1. /Welcome2

spm01
08-09-2007, 08:30 AM
thanks for all your kind words everyone. not too often you find a friendly forum like this, i can see i am going to fit in well here, LOL.

i will get some picks up when i have had chance to clean it properly, as i hate having a dirty car.

I managed to sort my insurance yesterday as well and not as bad as i thought, it is cheaper than the skyline i had a little while back, which is awesome.

i'm not too worried about the lash adjusters yet, i knew they were a common problem, as i read about these when i had my evo as they suffer the same problem, just a mitsi thing i think.

right i'm off looking for what to buy, lol.

Nevman
08-09-2007, 10:52 AM
Similar problem when my Audi 90 quattro needed its tappets replacing at 105,000 miles. I sourced them from a motor factor and had them changed by a local garage for under £100 all in. :)
Well... That's very good price bearing in mind that there Audi 90 got 20V.
Unfortunately the set of 24 tappets for VR-4 cost around £200 with club discount (another reason to spend £20 on the membership). On top of that labour cost of 4 - 6 hours (that's what I've been quoted) and £500 in total may not be enough.

Rambaud
08-09-2007, 01:33 PM
Well... That's very good price bearing in mind that there Audi 90 got 20V.
Unfortunately the set of 24 tappets for VR-4 cost around £200 with club discount (another reason to spend £20 on the membership). On top of that labour cost of 4 - 6 hours (that's what I've been quoted) and £500 in total may not be enough.

Mine was only the 10V, and it was quite a few years ago (labour rate less than £20.00 per hour). I think the tappets were around £5.00 each (or less), IIRC.

I shall be doing an oil & filter change shortly with Amsoil.