PDA

View Full Version : Audi A4, new one, anyone own one?

jayjay99
09-09-2007, 04:10 AM
I just went up to Scotland for a week doing a photography course and while I was there I hired a new Audi A4, I wasn't expecting much but I have to say I was very impressed. I've had a few hire cars of the past months and always can't wait to get back to the VR-4, this time.... I'm still quite missing it. I had an '07 Audi A4 2.0 TDI S-line, It was multitronic and had 7 gears! I was ragging it senseless through country roads and 'A' roads and for a £52 tank worth of diesel I got 520 miles! I know it's only a 2 litre but it certainly felt bigger in sports mode.

Does anyone have one and can advise if this is a good car to own? I have three options: buy one as a second car and pay it off for a fair few years! Get it as a lease car though work at £530 a month but then everything is paid for. Or the dreaded third, get it as a replacement, what to try to avoid that one!

Let me know what you think.

zentac
11-09-2007, 12:36 PM
Ive had several different Audi's and they have all been spot on. Currently an A6 estate 2.5TDi

Rambaud
11-09-2007, 01:10 PM
I have had 6 Audis and they all have gone well - except a 1.6 without power steering.

I test drove the 1.9 TDI and 2.5V6 TDI a few years ago, and much preferred the smaller engined A4. More frugal, but slower than the equivalent BMW diesels.

I thought the multi-tronic did not have "gears" as such - but variable ratios, like a super version of the DAF belt? I thought it a pretty good transmission when I first drove one - probably even better now.

stuey
11-09-2007, 05:09 PM
I looked at a few A6 avants before buying the leggie, seemed nicely made but bit dull. newer ones may be different...
A friend was looking at V6 sport legnums but now has a 1.9tdi A4 avant and loves it..

jayjay99
11-09-2007, 08:09 PM
This is the one I had. I don't know about the multitronic so you might be right then but either ways it has seven of them! And it does shift quite a bit for a diesel :)

uploaded/2685/1189537760.jpg

zentac
11-09-2007, 08:25 PM
Nice FTO number plate ;)

jayjay99
12-09-2007, 10:02 AM
Nice FTO number plate ;)

lol, didn't even notice that

Rambaud
12-09-2007, 10:21 AM
I meant to add that £530 per month seems a bit high, unless you do a high mileage (in which case you may be better of not having a company car and claiming the Inland Revenue's tax free mileage rates).

BTW, different finance companies charge different amounts for the maintenance portion of the contract, and check what's excluded/included (like tyres etc). When I leased a Mercedes Estate, Lancasters wanted about £70 per month for the maintenance, while another finance company wanted nearer £50 - and I could have the car serviced at Lancasters! :)

jayjay99
12-09-2007, 10:54 PM
Hmm... went in to a BMW dealers and they were talking about Personal Contract Plans, sounds a bit confusing but something to think about. Cheers for the tip.

KiwiTT
12-09-2007, 11:56 PM
Replace the VR-4 with an Audi Diesel !!! :o ... What are you thinking /pan

tig202
12-09-2007, 11:58 PM
Jay bro!

Nice choice of car, not as well built as Audis of old but good all the same!
We are currently having a prob with the 2.0 tdi engine as in the balance shaft gears/ bearings are failing leading to new engine replacements ( plus turbos in extreme cases) I think Audi are playing the whole thing down but there is a prob none the less:scholar: This is on the 170 bhp engines, the lesser powered one is fine so far:afro:

Rambaud
13-09-2007, 08:03 AM
Hmm... went in to a BMW dealers and they were talking about Personal Contract Plans, sounds a bit confusing but something to think about. Cheers for the tip.

Yes, that is an option for which you can set your company's Car Allowance against plus claiming tax relief from HMRC (Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs). This can be better than having a company car and falling within the tax regime for car & fuel benefits in kind. You might need to check your Car Allowance deal, as quite a few are not very tax efficient.

The amount of the monthly payment (ignoring maintenance) is broadly based on the interest rate used and the vehicle's residual value (i.e. depreciation). This is why it is often cheaper to lease a BMW/Audi/Mercedes etc than (say) a Ford with the same List Price, as the latter would tend to depreciate more. Also, some manufacturers use Leasing to disguise an oversupply of certain models - I was looking at a Subaru Impreza for around £220.00 + Vat a couple of years ago. Likewise, I got a Mercedes CLK 280 auto for a client for just over £550 per month (maintenance was an extra £30 based on 12,000 miles pa).

Also, car dealers tend to quote "flat" rates of interest, which can be 2x what the correct APR (Annual Percentage Rate) is - this can be very misleading, as some of my clients have discovered.

You can always PM me to see if I can improve on any deals you have been offered or to clarify the tax position.

jayjay99
13-09-2007, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the info, I will in doubt be in touch soon to speak about that, I looking at either an Audi A4 2.0 TDi, a BMW 320d or a Merc C220 Elegance, all are around £30,000. I've looked through my company and they are way too expensive! I'm gonna get some prices from some dealers and then I'll probably be in touch.