PDA

View Full Version : Whooooops!!!

ReggieK
10-01-2004, 03:29 PM
Noticed in car park this morning that my front tyres were worn down to the mesh on the inside edges!!!! :eek: The middle and outsides looked fine so never thought about the inside. It was only because of the angle of the wheels I noticed. I drove home very sloooowly indeed, I can tell you.

Rang Kwik Fit - get this - cheapest tyre they had in stock £162 per tyre :stars:

Eventually got some Avon ZZ3's for £77 each, not bad looking tyres actually and got a reasonable score on www.mytyres.net

Nick VR4
10-01-2004, 03:54 PM
Yeap I had this too a while ago too
Outside tread looked fine inside part was totally worn out front and back
Apparently 4WD cars do this my mate has a Evo 6 and did the same too

I'm running on Continental now changed all four and got a good deal
Plus I got tracking checked on all 4

Pescha
11-01-2004, 09:03 AM
I just replaced my tyres just before christmas. They were $185.00 each NZ dollars, including gst and fitting. Click here (http://www.neta.com.au/federal/tyres/) to see what they look like! :D

That works out to be 67.91 pounds each!

I'm really happy with them, spits out a hell of a lot of water and the road noise is minimal. Which is even better to hear the motor hum... HEHE!

Cheers,
Pescha!

Roadrunner
11-01-2004, 01:01 PM
Apparently 4WD cars do this ...
Not true, although I've lost count of the number of garages and tyre centres that have told me this to excuse their poor work at setting the geometry correctly. I get beautifully even tyre wear on my tyres, front and rear, as it should be. Any uneven wear shows a problem with the geometry, unless you've chosen to change it to improve turn-in, for example. Many Evo owners INSERT INTO post VALUES (and Impreza owners) choose to run with some toe-out INSERT INTO post VALUES (which will wear the inside edges) for this reason, but I reckon you have to be keen on doing regular track days to notice the difference. Certainly, on public roads, you'd be in the licence-danger zone for that to make a significant difference.

Brian

ReggieK
12-01-2004, 03:32 PM
I had the tracking checked when they fitted the tires, and was told that all was OK. That's the first time on any car that I have been told the tracking is OK. Especially as they don't charge for checking, just adjusting.

I't due a service in another 3k so I'll wait until then and get a full geometry check done.

Thats a nice looking tire Pesha, haven't seen that make over here. Nor even that design, though there are several similar.

BraindG
12-01-2004, 03:52 PM
remember to ensure that the side wall are the right strenght to cope with the the weight of the car!... ive cooked two lots of tyres already cos i was given weaker tyres...