PDA

View Full Version : Eh?... what?... huh?

BraindG
13-09-2007, 09:16 AM
when I had my first Vr4 i went out bought an amp with intentions of ordering some speakers/sub, when i crashed the car it was put into the loft to gather dust... So, finally, after 5 years in the making I've (half) completed what I started so many moons ago..

So, I purchased 2 x KEF silly loud speakers from a colleague at work and wired them with some slight modifications to my 1200w amp - I went for a drive last night, and infact this morning too on the way to work - boy o boy its loud!

Next on the agenda is to get a couple decent speakers for the front, another amp with sub output and wire it all in...

/rubs hands together - at least I wont be able to hear Wouter scream when he's in the passenger seat!!

Ill take some piccies soon :D

White Lightning
13-09-2007, 09:30 AM
Good stuff Barry :thumbsup:

Improving the sound system is on my list somewhere ... way down the list though as the standard speaker system (well I think my speakers are standard) with a decent headunit is pretty good IMO ... :inquisiti

Would like to go down the amp and sub route myself one day but am not keen on losing too much boot space ...

BraindG
13-09-2007, 09:36 AM
aye, i was thinking that just after posting actually - not sure whether i actually need a sub - these KEF's seem to deal very well with low and high frequencies, although i still need to fiddle a bit with the dials on the amp.

I might just get away with a couple amps, one for rear and one for front - both screwed to the back panel of the boot (with some wood modifications)

If i was to put a sub in, it could only be as deep as the bit to where the spare wheel flap comes up, you know the bit at the back that remains flat? - which if i recall is about 10 inches or something..

Beastlee
13-09-2007, 09:41 AM
I have a 15" Raptor sub, 1x 500W 2ch amp and 1 x 4ch 900W amp, 2 x Sony TV screens and a Clarion 6 DVD Changer sat around waiting for the next Legnum to come along. I plan on making some custom units for the boot edges so I can eventually have a 9.1 speaker system ;)

White Lightning
13-09-2007, 09:46 AM
aye, i was thinking that just after posting actually - not sure whether i actually need a sub - these KEF's seem to deal very well with low and high frequencies, although i still need to fiddle a bit with the dials on the amp.

I might just get away with a couple amps, one for rear and one for front - both screwed to the back panel of the boot (with some wood modifications)

If i was to put a sub in, it could only be as deep as the bit to where the spare wheel flap comes up, you know the bit at the back that remains flat? - which if i recall is about 10 inches or something..

Will be interesting to hear how you get on if you do go down the no sub route.

Yeah, I know the bit you mean in the boot. I wouldn't want anything much deeper than that.

Paul Beazer
13-09-2007, 12:57 PM
I thought all VR4s came with a top notch factory fitted sound system.

6A13TT

pitslayer
13-09-2007, 01:11 PM
that should just be the 6a13, with turbos or not they still sound fouqette amazing.
1200w amp might blow the speakers depending on how you have it set up for the rms etc.
most decent speakers for the front will come with crossovers, so buy a good component setup.
get yourself a decent frequency controller, aswell, and you can turn the speakers right down so you can feel the base in your kidneys.
ill be doing the same, ripping out my old system, new amp, subs, and headunit and a frequency controller

n13l pm
13-09-2007, 01:25 PM
Sounds great people :2thumbsup . Awaiting pics..

Beastlee
13-09-2007, 08:53 PM
Neil, as soon as I get a nw one I can restart my plans for te In-Car PC too!

I wonder what the sound difference is like betweent he estate and the saloon, that saloon boot must be a great resonance chamber. Shame about the Jap panel thickness.

Spirit
13-09-2007, 08:55 PM
Wouldn't be without my amp and sub now - it makes a big difference - luckily the Jag has them fitted too :2thumbsup

CANDEE
13-09-2007, 09:28 PM
Sounds good dude.. :)

Im considering getting rid of the 12" and going to 2x 8" subs.. Then i can mould the box into the boot floor and still have access to the spare.. /pan

n13l pm
13-09-2007, 11:33 PM
Neil, as soon as I get a nw one I can restart my plans for te In-Car PC too!

I wonder what the sound difference is like betweent he estate and the saloon, that saloon boot must be a great resonance chamber. Shame about the Jap panel thickness.

I havnt had the chance to listen to an estate (hopefully Japshow I will :thinking: ). Any bass being produced inside an estate should sound great and probably better then the saloon. But having said that the boot of a saloon acts like an enclosure itself, if you sound deaden it, otherwise you would lose a lot of the bass, like you said Beastlee its a shame about thickness of the panels.

A benefit of the saloon over the estate is that the sound from the rear speakers is bounced off the rear window and directed towards the front so you and the passengers get a better surround sound. But then again I dont know where the rear speakers on the estates are, im guessing they are same where on the sides..? ...do the estates have rear door speakers?

Crickle
13-09-2007, 11:37 PM
Does that mean i might get some flowers now please?

ANTHONY
13-09-2007, 11:46 PM
I thought all VR4s came with a top notch factory fitted sound system.

6A13TT yep same one i have

peter.nilsson83
14-09-2007, 01:45 AM
Got a pair of CDT HD-62's in the front doors wired to an old genesis amplifier in the boot. Sounds lovely. Highly recommend CDT speakers.
Just got to get my thumb out of my a** and find a nifty solution for putting my JL 6,5" basses in the rear too. (They require boxes, so I have some puzzling in front of me. )
Used to have a sub in the boot, but it took too much space! Hopefully I'll get some good "oomph" with the small JL's.